• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Deco Range 2010

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
fade them in the californian sun. comes for free - no upcharge and structural damage.

You are right that fading them in the cali sun will not cause structural damage...but the wait period is perhaps 5 years

Its the bleaching chemicals that dramatically speeds up the fading process and might cause the structural damage

Metroboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Luk-cha, do you have more photos of the top pic...I can't tell if this is a side gussetted shoe or not?

IT is a side gusset shoe...the one pictured in front to the left in the pitti both picture earlier.

janne melkersson

Reaction score
Since it is mentioned about bleaching, here is a photo of a pair of bleached boots closed by a free lancing closer in London, I don't know for which of the West End shops these are made. This method works on all aniline dyed chrome tanned leather such as box calf. The best is of course to bleach before closing becasue then the tread will not be weakend of the bleaching stuff. I have not tried it on old shoes but I think it will work. However, it is a mess so don't forget rubber gloves!

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Luk-cha, do you have more photos of the top pic...I can't tell if this is a side gussetted shoe or not?

Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Its' a side gusset

deco-1.jpg

Leather man

Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts from someone who owns 24 pairs of Gaziano and Girling MTO shoes.

The name "Deco" is apt for this range - they do remind me of shoes from the Art Deco period. They look exquisite and I am sure are very very well made shoes.

However, whilst I like them I cannot see myself wearing them and so won't be buying a pair.

I had a long chat with Dean Girling about what you American guys call "Gemming" ( Ribbing in the UK). He promised me that the process of gluing a canvas rib to the insole and sewing the welt to that provides just as strong an attachement as sewing to a rib cut from the insole. I do not wish to open this discussion again, merely report on a conversation with a Master Shoemaker. He told me the insole needs replacing just as many times in a bespoke shoe as in a ready to wear shoe,. He also assured me that a RTW shoe lasts just as long as a bespoke shoe. Finally he told me that if shoes were hand welted they'd cost so much that no one would think they were worth it and might as well go bespoke. I know, I know, Cliff Roberts etc etc but he's not yet set up a factory as far as I know, and I know and know factories, the devil , satan inspired manufacturing, blah blah. But if you want to make a serious living out of shoemaking I guess you've either got to have a good bespoke clientele or own a factory.

I know EG TD are gemmed and I know JLP Prestige are too, I would think Anthony Cleverley are too or they'd cost more.

Deco - works of art but as shoes to wear? - yes, for a very particular kind of customer I suspect.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Just a couple of thoughts

...merely report on a conversation with a Master Shoemaker. He told me the insole needs replacing just as many times in a bespoke shoe as in a ready to wear shoe. He also assured me that a RTW shoe lasts just as long as a bespoke shoe.

what time slot did he prospect?

that's quite an assumption, taking in account that the material is used for bespoke is of higher quality.

iirc, you don't own any bespoke shoes, right?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just a couple of thoughts from someone who owns 24 pairs of Gaziano and Girling MTO shoes.

The name "Deco" is apt for this range - they do remind me of shoes from the Art Deco period. They look exquisite and I am sure are very very well made shoes.

However, whilst I like them I cannot see myself wearing them and so won't be buying a pair.

I had a long chat with Dean Girling about what you American guys call "Gemming" ( Ribbing in the UK). He promised me that the process of gluing a canvas rib to the insole and sewing the welt to that provides just as strong an attachement as sewing to a rib cut from the insole. I do not wish to open this discussion again, merely report on a conversation with a Master Shoemaker. He told me the insole needs replacing just as many times in a bespoke shoe as in a ready to wear shoe,. He also assured me that a RTW shoe lasts just as long as a bespoke shoe. Finally he told me that if shoes were hand welted they'd cost so much that no one would think they were worth it and might as well go bespoke. I know, I know, Cliff Roberts etc etc but he's not yet set up a factory as far as I know, and I know and know factories, the devil , satan inspired manufacturing, blah blah. But if you want to make a serious living out of shoemaking I guess you've either got to have a good bespoke clientele or own a factory.

I know EG TD are gemmed and I know JLP Prestige are too, I would think Anthony Cleverley are too or they'd cost more.

Deco - works of art but as shoes to wear? - yes, for a very particular kind of customer I suspect.

Sounds like buyer's remorse.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will get a pair to wear, maybe a pair just so I have a pair. They look... emaciated. It is a shame too
frown.gif
I was really looking forward to them.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score

I hope this can now silence those who keep harping on about the downsides to gemming. If as Dean has said its sewn to the canvas rather than glued, I agree that it should make little difference to the structural integrity of the shoe.

jon5986

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
I hope this can now silence those who keep harping on about the downsides to gemming. If as Dean has said its sewn to the canvas rather than glued, I agree that it should make little difference to the structural integrity of the shoe.

I think cdmoore owns G&G. At least he sounds likes it.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon5986

i think you have seen the ones he owns, but dont you own some too?

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jon5986

Jon, If I did I would own more than 6 pairs of bespokes for sure.

Maybe one day I can be the Victor Kiam of the shoe world

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads