• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What brands deliver the same combination quality of leather, construction and sleek styling?

Others appear to exceed in one category or another but I havent seen any that hit at high level of all 3.

Id love to hear of other contenders though!

Enzo Bonafe, Meccariello, Bestetti, a number of japanese brands? I would think if you are comparing MTO prices with trees to the last two the price would be more comparable.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are a more fashion forward version of EG. But why are they more expensive?

Justin FitzPatrick wrote about this on this here thriid a while ago. If memory serves, G&G's upper and lining leathers alone cost $100. Then there's Baker's one whole year oak bark-tanned leather insoles, welts and outer soles to consider. The carved fiddleback waist and semi-manual lasting take more time than EG's production, just as G&G's beautiful hand-made shoe trees. The factory also makes considerably less shoes per year than EG.

If you'll do a bit of math now, you will see that G&G's leathers and production methods are expensive, much more so than EG's. It's up to the customer to decide if these choices give enough value to justify the ~ 1000£ price tag. For many men, they do -- enough so that the maker has now been able to move into a new factory. Only the owners know how big of a loan they're now facing. Well, now that they've made shoes for the Elkanns and Ralph Lauren himself, I trust things are going pretty well and they've nothing more to prove.

jas0nt

Reaction score

Justin FitzPatrick wrote about this on this here thriid a while ago. If memory serves, G&G's upper and lining leathers alone cost $100. Then there's Baker's one whole year oak bark-tanned leather insoles, welts and outer soles to consider. The carved fiddleback waist and semi-manual lasting take more time than EG's production, just as G&G's beautiful hand-made shoe trees. The factory also makes considerably less shoes per year than EG.

If you'll do a bit of math now, you will see that G&G's leathers and production methods are expensive, much more so than EG's. It's up to the customer to decide if these choices give enough value to justify the ~ 1000£ price tag. For many men, they do -- enough so that the maker has now been able to move into a new factory. Only the owners know how big of a loan they're now facing. Well, now that they've made shoes for the Elkanns and Ralph Lauren himself, I trust things are going pretty well and they've nothing more to prove.

Well said. Not to mention the hand patina that can be made for Deco shoes. It's all factored in the price.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will continue to buy G&G...I like the fit...and I like the style...I like the leathers and the soles and construction and the quality (even for a GYW)...and I just think they look awesome

I hope to try their bespoke in the near future too...

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's tough. I can't fit into the balmoral it's too tight. Blucher do much better

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They are a more fashion forward version of EG. But why are they more expensive?

GG lasts are really nice (haven't tried deco or GG06). But again that price bump and high hurdle for mto along with shoe tree requirement just annoyed me in principle. They are the worst value IMO next to alden calf and CJ Handgrade

I like some of the Alden calf more than the shell - price/fit-wise.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What happened to the h width u last? I thought it looked great. I loss the vash

Looking good, Namor. :slayer:

Last edited:

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll patina your shoes. Patina the **** out of them for $$$

You're a good man, Namor!

IMO a huge factor is the weakness of the dollar.

If the exchange rate was $1.55 instead of almost $2.00 ...

This is also pounding the US watch market. I have a great idea - let's threaten to default on the US debt! That'll restore faith in the dollar! **** yeah!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads