• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Cut them off and you'll forget they were ever there. I have the 72 hour bag in Navy and love it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

nevadabob

Reaction score
Here are my recent purchases:

Twill ipad case... I now have the tin cloth pistol case, the green tweed case and the one above. Initially, I like this one second best of the three. I really like the tin cloth one (it holds my Springfield and three mags perfectly) best. The tweed one is made mostly of cover cloth material and I prefer the durability of the twill. I plan on using this to hold diapers and wipes for the little one and then give it to her to use when she's ready.

Large dry duffle...large is an understatement. I am pretty sure I could climb in there and have the top closed. They could have called it the massive dry duffle, or the cavernous dry duffle. I'm really excited to use this one to keep my gear dry while on the water fishing for fall salmon. If you haven't seen the dry bag line, it's worth checking out. I have two small dry bags, the dry duffle backpack, dry waistpack and now this. Phenomenal.

Not exactly a bag, but something I have been looking for for quite some time! My wife found one and picked it up for me for my birthday. The Filson/Stanley 100yr anniversary thermos and sling. I'll also be using this out on the water salmon fishing.

nevadabob

Reaction score
Filson's new-look website is up; complete with higher prices for inferior goods. What has happened to this company since 2012 is a terrible shame, unless you're one of the new owners.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with some of the cynicism expressed previously about the "new" Filson in throughout this thread, but I have to say when I look online at other brands offering waxed canvas, bridle leather trim luggage, Filson still compares very favorably. If you factor in U.S. made, looks and the crazy overbuilt quality of Filson luggage, Filson still almost always comes out on top, imho. Let me tell you, there are a LOT of hipster start-up brands trying to ape the Filson duffle or briefcase look right now and they never quite match the original.

And through Filson sales, close-outs, resellers etc, I can still get my Filson fix significantly below MSRP if I am patient. At least for now.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another one of my DIY shoulder pads for my Filson bags. I was never a fan of the padded version so I made a larger version of the original shoulder pad with dark brown bridle leather.

The 256 has been on there a few weeks. The Sportsman just installed this week for an overnight.

I never realized how faded the tan 256 was until it's next to a newer tan bag.

I'm also loving the Sportsman (Ref. 266) compared to my medium travel. I wondered if an extra pair of shoes would take up too much space but found that each side pocket is perfect for a single shoe/boot.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the "after market" leather pads, Patrick. Maybe a future side business ;-).

I bought a tan 266 for a steal earlier this year. It usurped a lot of other bags. I like it as a carry-on for air travel as I am always going in and out of the bag to stash/get laptop, book, toiletries, snacks, power cords. and I can do this without going into the main compartment as the two side pockets and two end pockets and the two stash pockets have so much combined capacity.

It also works as a solo piece of luggage for shorter or car bound tips. The main compartment with one divider creates enough rigidity that I can neatly roll up or stack clothes in it without needing separate mesh bags for structure or organization like in my small duffle. Then I can throw a pair of casual shoes on top (if not too bulky). All in a compact, organized package.

Last edited:

trlhtn

Reaction score
Filson's new-look website is up; complete with higher prices for inferior goods. What has happened to this company since 2012 is a terrible shame, unless you're one of the new owners.
Odd that they also got rid of the reviews on some products.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some help replacing the zipper on an old 257. I bought it at eBay a few years ago and while I got a great deal on a well worn bag, the auction didn't show the X'd out tag. Filson wouldn't repair it (note, I wasn't looking for warranty work, I was hoping to pay for it). The CS rep I corresponded with however, was extremely helpful and even apologetic about not offering repair on X'd out merchandise even for a cost. I got lucky and he mailed me a replacement zipper at no cost.

My problem is that I can't find someone to replace it. Two different cobblers said their machines wouldn't work. The luggage repair places I tried all ship items out and have no idea if they can fix it until it gets in the hand of a repair person.

I live on the water and there are a handful of canvas repair shops that do repair work on boats covers. I figured I'd check there but I wonder if boat cover canvas is thinner than the twill used by filson luggage.

Anyone ever replace a filson zipper at home? The tough part is that it needs to be stitched through leather and canvas.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some help replacing the zipper on an old 257. I bought it at eBay a few years ago and while I got a great deal on a well worn bag, the auction didn't show the X'd out tag. Filson wouldn't repair it (note, I wasn't looking for warranty work, I was hoping to pay for it). The CS rep I corresponded with however, was extremely helpful and even apologetic about not offering repair on X'd out merchandise even for a cost. I got lucky and he mailed me a replacement zipper at no cost.

My problem is that I can't find someone to replace it. Two different cobblers said their machines wouldn't work. The luggage repair places I tried all ship items out and have no idea if they can fix it until it gets in the hand of a repair person.

I live on the water and there are a handful of canvas repair shops that do repair work on boats covers. I figured I'd check there but I wonder if boat cover canvas is thinner than the twill used by filson luggage.

Anyone ever replace a filson zipper at home? The tough part is that it needs to be stitched through leather and canvas.

I'm sure anyone with a good industrial sewing machine (e.g., Singer 31-15) could do the job. I would think your local canvas repair should be able to handle it. Perhaps you could find a good tack and saddle repair shop in NH.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy