• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traut

Reaction score
Thank you all. I learn so much here. I need a replacement strap for my tan field bag. I would prefer to buy a used one from someone that needs to sell. Thanks. HT

zola

Reaction score
Has anyone here attached a shoulder strap to tote bag? Any pics/thoughts/suggestions?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't really picture that. Not saying it isn't possible, I just don't get how you'd do it. A handle, sure, but a shoulder pad?

kbui

Reaction score
Could you get a something that combines both straps into one and just throw it on your shoulder...similar to what the duffle bags have?

The tote handles slide off my shoulder one at a time..annoying when getting through the airport.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could you get a something that combines both straps into one and just throw it on your shoulder...similar to what the duffle bags have?

The tote handles slide off my shoulder one at a time..annoying when getting through the airport.

You could probably get the hand grip from the 257/258 and install that on the 261. I think the cost for the handgrip is $10 - $20. Not sure how comfortable it would be to have that on your shoulder though.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My large zip tote is about 17-18lbs fully loaded and it can dig into the shoulders after walking around the terminal for a while.

I was thinking of buying a padded seatbelt cover which can snap over the 2 tote straps. I have seen them in sheepskin, neoprene etc. when not in use, you can remove or keep on just one strap where it will slide to the base of the strap.

zola

Reaction score
Looks like I'm not the only one who thought about or dealt with this..
On the zippered tote there is a small leather flap on both sides where the zip ends. I will ask my cobbler if he can punch a metal hole ring in there and do some additional stitches there. I will try to get a Folsom shoulder strap with a carabiner to attach it there.

I'm also in the process of adding one or two dividers to the bag to separate a document map and the laptop/iPad from the main compartment..

Last edited:

kbui

Reaction score

zola

Reaction score

@zola  I'm unsure if you already have something in mind for the interior dividers, but this is what I was looking at using:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765054-REG/Tamrac_A11603_116_Camera_Shuttle_for.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/509016-REG/Tenba_638_251_Pro_Digital_2_0_Photo.html

The Tenba also fits a Filson Medium Field Bag.

Both models aren't as wide as the tote, but that could be helpful as you could slide the laptop/ipad on the outside of the insert.

No, nothing like that. I will just get two pieces of tin cloth or canvas sewn to the seams that attach fronts and sides of the bag. More like a sleeve..
I realised that we here in Europe still have ( and always had) so much more real craftsmanship all around. It's not that difficult to get things customized..

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a shot of my fully loaded Sportsman on the train station in Paris.

Throughout the 12 days in Europe, I spotted only 3 Filson bags. All tan 256's. Well worn ones in fact. Also saw a store that had several Filson pieces in Paris

adsmith4

Reaction score
Alright guys, I need some suggestions. I'm getting ready in the next week or so to buy a new briefcase bag. What are your thoughts on the 256 vs the 257? It will mainly be used for everyday use back and forth to the office. Occasionally, I may have to travel overnight for work. Are either of the 2 big enough for my laptop and a change of clothes and shoes? Thanks for the help.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright guys, I need some suggestions.  I'm getting ready in the next week or so to buy a new briefcase bag.  What are your thoughts on the 256 vs the 257?  It will mainly be used for everyday use back and forth to the office.  Occasionally, I may have to travel overnight for work.  Are either of the 2 big enough for my laptop and a change of clothes and shoes?  Thanks for the help.
The 256 is going to be a little tight with the shoes.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
adsmith.

I had the exact same challenge a little while ago and ended up going with the 24 hour tincloth briefcase (used to be called the 72 hour briefcase but they changed the name). It's number 70140. I've used it for one-night business trips. It has the extra pockets on the outside to hold dopp kit, etc. The 256 is just too small (note: I haven't compared the 257).

For my one night, overnight business trips, I carry that bag quite often. In fact, I usually throw in a small Eagle Creek folding envelope (that's probably not the right name) for my extra dress shirt, slacks and put it in the bag in one slot and the laptop goes into the other. It really fits quite nicely and allows you to travel extremely lightly.

I'd recommend you take a look at that bag as a comparison. The 256 is a GREAT briefcase, but I'd struggle with it for overnight trips.

illition

Reaction score
I picked up a Filson Small Duffle recently and I love it! The only problem I have with it is that I only love how it looks when it is fully stuffed, because thats the only time it has a full duffle shape.

When its not even half-full or just with a couple of items in it, it looks completely shapeless and boring - doesn't look like the amazing Filson duffle that it is.

I've been travelling with it on and off, and find myself having to throw extra jackets and items inside JUST to fill it so that it looks decent.

Does everyone here do the same? Or is there something you guys do that can make the bag keep its shape more, I can only assume that after time when the twill breaks it this issue will get even more prevalent. Is there a reinforcement that can be done etc?

I'm having abit of a problem, because its not big enough to use as a full-on check-in duffle. But if I use it as a handcarry bag I don't have enough things to fit it to carry around. I'm considering switching it to the medium duffle I have the chance.

Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy