• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Principle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Below is a link to an album I’ve created to illustrate what happens when you wash a Filson bag (Tan 257). I normally wouldn’t wash a Filson bag, but this was my school bag that sat on the floor of a low level biohazard lab every day. In addition to any microscopic organisms that may be stuck to the bottom of my bag, there was also indigo stains on the back pockets, oil stains on the corners of the bag, and various areas where the bag rubbed up against bleach disinfectant. I now use the 257 as a beach bag.

Washed the bag in a front loading washing machine, no spin cycle, cold water, and normal detergent. Dried the bag upside down in the laundry room and then left it outside for an afternoon to fully dry. Yes, the indigo stains washed off, so did all the dirt.

Result? Washing the canvas will definitely clean the bag itself, but even on the gentlest cycle, the bridle leather gets damaged. After washing, the leather was dehydrated/felt crunchy and areas that were most worn lost some of the dark brown color. The leather also became wrinkly on the surface. The zipper became wavy but also became less sharp and zipped much more quickly and smoothly.

To restore the leather, I used a heat gun and Red Wing Leather Conditioner. Melted the leather conditioner into the leather. I did this process repeatedly until the leather was soft and pliable again. Color of the leather was also restored.

Verdict: I do not recommend washing a Filson bag unless you absolutely have to. It just doesn't look the same after. I also own a navy 258, which is my workhorse bag, so I had the opportunity to compare new v. washed Filson bags.

Link to Album: http://imgur.com/a/3VqOt?gallery

I don't think that using your washing machine was the most gentle way to treat that bag. I too work in a bioengineering lab and more recently spilled some yogurt along the side (unrelated event). This proved to be too difficult to remove with a brush once it dried so I had to swallow my pride and wash the bag. I did this with some gentle soap in luke warm water and gently scrubbed the areas that needed it.

I eventually dried the bag in the sun, it has shrunk slightly, but looks much better without the stains.

One thing I noticed prior to washing was that the leather already felt dry and cracked. Any detergent will strip the oils in the leather, so it can be expected that it'll need some fresh oil and an overnight rest.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just snagged a medium travel in Tan for £160. Is this a good deal? If was a total impulse buy

This is an excellent price even in the US (250USD). Those places that still have a few of these bags left usually sell at the MSRP of $325. With the recent exception noted of $199 in brown (the least popular color). Given the price of Filson I have seen in the UK, you made out very well.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA for those who live nearby or are visiting the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth, DE. The Orvis outlet there has a 258 and medium duffle in navy. Don't remember the price of the 258, but the duffle is $220 and I think you can use a Tanger coupon for an extra 20% off.

41a153b91d30d8f9a85559bfb61fd33b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to customizing my shoulder strap. I much prefer the older style non-padded version. However, I find it slips off my shoulder from time to time but it's still better than the padded version (IMO). Two of my Filson bags have the older shoulder pad (pictured below) and two have the newer padded style.

I always liked this custom strap I found pictured earlier in this thread:

I thought I'd combine the original 1" strap and make a larger shoulder pad, minus the padding. The leather I used is ~10oz English bridle, 10 1/2" long by 2 1/2" wide. The original is 8 1/2" long x 2 1/8" wide and a bit thinner.

My version & the original.

Pictured on my ~8 yr old 256.

Functionally, it works just as I'd hoped. The added width seems to help more than the length but it doesn't slip anymore. I bought enough leather to make a few and I already see some necessary changes. For instance, I'm afraid I didn't leave enough space between the oval punches. It may be a weak spot down the road (probably years down the road but it's en easy fix for the next version).

In the end, I'm happy with the result. It should also break in and become a bit more uniform in color over time. I'll add them to my other filson bags as well.

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score
That's pretty nice work. I think it makes quite a difference in the look over the padded versions.

BTW That must be the cleanest 8 year old bag I have ever seen. Hand clean with a brush every few months ?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pretty nice work. I think it makes quite a difference in the look over the padded versions.

BTW That must be the cleanest 8 year old bag I have ever seen. Hand clean with a brush every few months ?

Thanks for the kind words.

It's on the front seat of my car most days and I fly a few times a month. Guess I've been lucky, tan has stayed nice for all these years.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many of these old tan Filson bags look a lot lighter than the tan canvas I've seen in person and in more recent photos. Has the canvas color they use changed? I thought the tan was supposed to darken with age, not fade.

They all fade over time.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy