• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ettinger Opinions/ Experience (post pictures)

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
I've gotten into arguments here before regarding hand/machine sewn. There is honestly a little bit too much focus on hand sewing everything on these forums.

Hermes machine sews much of their leather, including $20-40k dollar Birkin bags.

Chester Mox is a great company. Don't want to drag it at all. I think Ettinger looks a little more interesting. (If not your taste could be called flashy and thats down to opinion).

Bolded the part I am curious about. Correct me here: I was under the impression that saddle stitching *must* be done by hand, and every Hermes product I've seen appears to have that tell-tale diagonal saddle stitch pattern. Is this incorrect?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bolded the part I am curious about. Correct me here: I was under the impression that saddle stitching *must* be done by hand, and every Hermes product I've seen appears to have that tell-tale diagonal saddle stitch pattern. Is this incorrect?

I should perhaps have clarified.

I did not mean to say that Hermes does not saddle stitch or hand stich. They absolutely do. However, they do this on visible seams and prominent parts.

The Kelly and the Birkin are generally the nicest/priciest bags. Maybe 15/20% of the seams are hand stitched.

Purseforum has threads on this where ladies have contacted Hermes directly and they will respond that they do indeed machine stitch.

Fully Threaded

Reaction score
@ValidusLA I read through the article and despite some poor auto-translate it's very informative. What I'm curious about though is your (and others) personal take on the *value* of handmade. You seem to imply that machine stitching may be ideal for certain instances, or at the very least, in no way inferior. Based on what I know about leather work, not being a crafter myself, it seems that a traditional handmade saddle stitch is 1) the strongest 2) the most time consuming 3) requires the most expertise.

The above leads me to think that Hermes is simply cutting corners rather than doing what's going to get the best quality possible with no compromise. Obviously this doesn't make them a criminal enterprise and it's only a very marginal sacrifice as the machine stitching will also last quite a long time, but it seems clear that they're still cutting corners albeit in a fairly minor way.

The only possible argument I could see for not going all handmade, assuming one insists on zero compromise in quality with price and time be damned, would be the difficulty of going in a straight line, in the way that a machine is much better than a person at making a shirt and a handmade shirt would actually be inferior and uneven. That said, I took a look at some of the Chester Mox belts just now which seem like they would be good examples of uneven lines, and they seem perfectly straight...

decoding-seams-hermes-birkin-bag-for-sale.png

bareniabelt.jpg

Relevant photo from the article: Hermes seems to use hand stitches on its curved areas and machine stitches when they go in a straight line. However, Bellanie seems to have no issue wrapping a straight line all the way around a belt.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...I am not a leather worker. I do however do operations for a denim company and have toured garment factories all over the world. Once again - haven't seen a leatherworking shop in full swing. We employ machine sewing and hand sewing.

As to the hand/saddle being "stronger." This is almost certainly true on lightweight garments and fabrics. It is also more easily repairable. On heavier fabrics, like denim, the lock stitch of a machine can be significantly stronger, much easier to work with, and last longer. I assume leather would double down on this as its even heavier.

My major sort of like....horse in this race.....is that SF is obsessed with hand sewing overall. For exterior seams and visible stitches I get it. I think paying thousands of dollars extra to have the interiors of jackets, bags, etc hand stitched usually falls into the category of snobbery. If you then slap a giant brand name on it, it gets into flash and arrogance.

Leander walker

Reaction score
Ettinger is absolutely top notch. Their st James attache with red leather lining is exquisite. They have a few vintage briefcsse styles and lots of small leather goods. One of the last fine leathergoods makers in the UK

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in this thread today as I was considering ordering a Chester Mox wallet. I have several other CM pieces and do like them. BUT, I did a check upstairs and realize I have unused wallets -- bought with the future in mind -- and at least two are Ettinger and maybe a third under the Peal name. Given my age, I don't think I can justify buying another wallet.

When it comes to Chester Mox I love the available materials and the various color combinations one can get. The lovely colored thread options are nice as well. BUT, ultimately, Ettinger offers me more useful items.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I found the justification for another after a bit of hesitation. I ordered a breast wallet in navy with an English tan interior. Ettinger's navy looks a lot like black. I remember hearing the line "His hair is so back it looks blue". Ettinger must view navy that way. It's beautiful ... but it's hard to see this as blue.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I found the justification for another after a bit of hesitation. I ordered a breast wallet in navy with an English tan interior. Ettinger's navy looks a lot like black. I remember hearing the line "His hair is so back it looks blue". Ettinger must view navy that way. It's beautiful ... but it's hard to see this as blue.

Their navy is indeed quite dark. I did a custom piece w/ the T+A townhouse in NYC, and when I saw how dark the sterling navy was I opted for a dark hunter green instead. The navy is nice, and I think I still want one, but it is definitely quite dark.

The "petrol" in bridle hide starts out quite bright, but mellows into a darker blue that is more "blue" than the navy.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Their navy is indeed quite dark. I did a custom piece w/ the T+A townhouse in NYC, and when I saw how dark the sterling navy was I opted for a dark hunter green instead. The navy is nice, and I think I still want one, but it is definitely quite dark.

The "petrol" in bridle hide starts out quite bright, but mellows into a darker blue that is more "blue" than the navy.
The petrol or green may be more to my liking. I'm trying to decide whether or not I keep this one. The cost of shipping makes me debate the return. But if I don't really use it, it's best sent back. Then again, a wallet need not match shoes and belt ... or watch band. It's not often seen.

A friend just set me this bit of feng shui. Perhaps it's good that it appears black: Blue is the color of flowing water. If you want to keep your money, do NOT use a blue wallet as your money will flow away. ;)

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend just set me this. Perhaps it's good that it appears black: Blue is the color of flowing water. If you want to keep your money, do NOT use a blue wallet as your money will flow away.

Looks around sheepishly at his recent credit card bills....
Takes out his Ettinger petrol coat wallet....
Lights on fire....

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks around sheepishly at his recent credit card bills....
Takes out his Ettinger petrol coat wallet....
Lights on fire....
Prior to now I've used a very blue wallet by another maker.

1) Week before last the Dell Latitude informed me "Hard Drive Not Found". New one ordered.
2) This week the door hinge on our still functional refrigerator cracked and the door fell off in a wtf moment ... taking the control panel with it. New one ordered.

I need a different color wallet.

duriangris

Reaction score
I have been using a chest wallet daily for ~4 years now. Blue and tan, gorgeous color. I have abused it a bit. Still holds well. Caveat is the inside yellow tan tends to have black spots around where the credit cards are. Never been able to clean this. Also never been able to polish the wallet anywhere close it's brand new state. I'll try to post pictures later.
Sorry a bit late! But as promised here are pictures of my Ettinger Wallet..

Purchased in 2016, used daily - it does wear out and lose a lot of its polish as you can see below.
- Scratches appeared fairly quick, I would say after a couple months
- The "hinge" of the wallet wore itself out as you can see, after a year or so
- The tan blackened also within approx a year, it seems to happen with all their wallets, the same thing happened with an Ettinger wallet I gifted to my wife...

The scratches I tried polishing a bit at the beginning, but then I quicklly gave up as it didn't really matter. The dark spots I emailed Ettinger about, they said there's nothing to do about.

I still love the wallet, but better for prospective customers to be in the know! I'd add that I was almost going to by a briefcase from them at their london showroom but gave up in the end as while it is fine for a wallet, I'd be wary of the same aging happening to a briefcase.

Attachments

• AH0A5780.JPG
    AH0A5780.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 177
  • AH0A5786.JPG
    AH0A5786.JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 179
  • AH0A5796.JPG
    AH0A5796.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 745
  • AH0A5773 (2).JPG
    AH0A5773 (2).JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 741

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads