• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doorman inquired about my style. How do I break it to him?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Obviously he's had a reversal of fortune.

So he needs to get a vial of insulin?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
I am amazed that this thread got to 9 pages. Ridiculous. I could take yet another shot at the pompous arrogance of the OP but why bother.
deadhorse-a.gif

The mere fact he would ask such a question on a message board is quite indicative the OP is not important and never will be.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoAussieGo
How can you afford a bentley, doorman building, and nice clothes on 345k?

Everyone who says this: you ever consider the possibility of family money as an explanation.

And I haven't read anything else he's posted, so I can't honestly defend him; but I do think it's possible that he's not trying to be a douche, and actually wondering what the classy way of dealing with such a situation may be. I'm just saying - I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I'm going to spend a minute looking up High Society's other posts, haha.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HighSociety
you're going to be repenting in a few hhours

Im going to surprise him for his birthday. Say I need somethings brought up into my room and I'll have my personal tailor there waiting. he'll be fitting for some fine bespoke.

Different lifestyles I guess. Im still paying off college debt. (Harvard Business, then Stanford after that, and for uGrad I flirted with Princeton)

Mkay, I can't believe I actually read all the above posts, but after the comments linked above I'm decidedly less vehement about the opinion I expressed in the previous post.

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy is pure entertainment, why do some people take him serious? I wonder why we are going to repent, are you going to upload scans of your bank balance and put up some photos of you rocking your rolex in your bentley? I wear TONS of ralph lauren, but I dont think anyone really thinks the purple label line is THAT nice! Being Snooty is cool so im going to go buy an Hermes scarf and wear it like fonzworth bentley.

senator1214

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16
I seriously can´t believe I read three pages of this! Ridiculous. I was having a pleasant morning until everything about this post made me mad. Who gives a crap about:

1. What you wear.
2. How much you make.
3. Where you live
4. What you drive

I feel sorry for your doorman actually as he has to deal with you on a daily basis. Trying treating him with some respect and dignity. It is not your place to judge what he can afford or not. He did not ask you if he could afford it, he complimented you and asked what you were wearing. All you simply had to do was answer the man and say RLPL.

The rest of this has just made you look like a complete ass. By the way, invite your doorman up for Christmas for that bespoke you talk about, I hope he slaps you silly.

Damn, I am heated.

Nuff Said

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you have gone from riches to rags in your latest post, maybe you should break it to the doorman that he has to give you a tip now.

On the other hand trolls can be put down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads