• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picking a Tom Ford Tuxedo for my wedding... questions....

pbwj21

Reaction score
Hi All -

I'm a total noob when it comes to men's tuxedo wear, my wedding is coming up in less than 3 weeks, and in need of desperate help trying to find an outfit.

I know it's my fault for holding my outfit for so long, I was a bit overweight (6'0" 245lbs) early this year but changed my lifestyle and am currently 210 pounds. I wanted to drastically lose as much weight as possible before getting my outfit but I now realize I'm a bit close.

I'm willing to splurge a bit since it's my own wedding and have saved up a bit. I went to check some stores - Tom Ford, Zegna, Ralph Lauren, Neiman Marcus, and Saks in Los Angeles. Obviously, I'm too late for a custom or made-to-measure so looking for a ready-to-wear.

I loved the idea of having a white dinner jacket as my groomsmen will be in black tuxedos. I tried on a 52 R "Shelton" at Tom Ford and seemed to fit great in it. With 15% off at matchesfashion I decided to purchase Tom Ford's "Atticus" thinking it was the same initially. Here are some questions I have:

1) How different is Atticus fit compared to Shelton? I've been getting conflicting answers from all the reps and my local store doesn't have an Atticus tuxedo.

2) I tried on a Zegna tux but the rep told me that I'm a 54 R and the 52 R fit a little snug. I told him that they must run a little small because the Shelton Tux from Tom Ford fit fine. He said Tom Ford tux is actually made by Zegna and Tom Ford's are actually slimmer which made no sense. To top off my absolute confusion he told me he doesn't recommend me to wear a Tom Ford because they are designed for skinnier, tall models.

3) Since the Tom Ford Atticus tuxedo doesn't come with trousers, I was planning on purchasing a shirt and trousers from a different brand to save some $$. One of the reps told me I should not do this as Tom Ford's cuts are totally different and it would look weird with a different brand of shirts and pants. I was wondering if this was true as I would prefer not to spend an additional $2k+ for a TF shirt and trousers and save some money by buying from Zegna or Purple label.

Thank you and appreciate the help.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally do not know anything about the Atticus vs Shelton fit, perhaps @philwongnz will know as he has posted on SF about TF before. But I think this close to your wedding you are taking a big risk on buying a jacket model online that you have not tried on before. Also remember that you will likely need at least some minor alterations on that jacket, even if it fits acceptably well.

Are there really no satisfactory dinner jackets you can buy locally? Does the Zegna that you tried on come in a 54R? I wouldn't try to guess/extrapolate anything about TF sizing from the Zegna jacket you tried on; the TF jackets are indeed made by Zegna but of course the patterns are different.

If you do decide to buy the Atticus jacket (or have you already ordered it?) I would 100% recommend that you have a backup plan in case it does not fit you.

Finally, you can wear trousers and a shirt from a different maker; nonsense that they have to come from the same maker as the jacket and trousers will not be made of the same fabric regardless.

philwongnz

Reaction score
Personally do not know anything about the Atticus vs Shelton fit, perhaps @philwongnz will know as he has posted on SF about TF before. But I think this close to your wedding you are taking a big risk on buying a jacket model online that you have not tried on before. Also remember that you will likely need at least some minor alterations on that jacket, even if it fits acceptably well.

Are there really no satisfactory dinner jackets you can buy locally? Does the Zegna that you tried on come in a 54R? I wouldn't try to guess/extrapolate anything about TF sizing from the Zegna jacket you tried on; the TF jackets are indeed made by Zegna but of course the patterns are different.

If you do decide to buy the Atticus jacket (or have you already ordered it?) I would 100% recommend that you have a backup plan in case it does not fit you.

Finally, you can wear trousers and a shirt from a different maker; nonsense that they have to come from the same maker as the jacket and trousers will not be made of the same fabric regardless.

Thank you for mentioning me, info on the two style/cuts are below where you can find them all from (https://www.costumelimite.com/tom-ford-base-fit-overview-ultimate-guide/)

Base Shelton / Fit Shelton – Classic cut, wider lapel, wider shoulder, fitted waist and fitted trousers.

Base Atticus / Fit Atticus – Classic cut, wide lapel, wide shoulders and fitted trousers. Runs a bit longer than all other cuts.

Like what the link says, the sizing varies from season to season even thought it is the same style. For example I have a Windsors in regular 46, 48 and 50

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads