can't sleep

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by gamelan, Aug 20, 2006.

1. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

yeah, it's not late (or early) but it's so amazingly frustrating when you want to get to sleep but can't. 1 vidodin and ambien within an hour and i still can't sleep. i suppose i could raid the fridge for some milk and Oreos. but then i'd have to brush my teeth again.

no other point to this post really.

arrrrgh...........hmmm...ok...starting to feel a little woosy...and the emoticons are starting to look 3d at the edges of my eyes...

-Jeff

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I tell myself a story. Puts me right out. [​IMG]

Seriously.

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Clown will eat me.

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I'm so sorry. When I can't sleep, I do a series of leg lifts, the more strenuous, the better. That helps me, to relax. Also, try tensing your entire body, limb by limb. Extend your arms and legs and tense your muscles. Release the tension, little by little, an arm and leg at a time. This method has never failed me.

5. stach

stach Senior member

There are some incredibly boring streaming video lectures online. They never fail to put me to sleep within minutes. [​IMG]

6. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

ok, note to self. never mix vicodin and ambien again. i fell asleep right away but woke up with the most horrible hangover and feel like puking.

-Jeff

7. Impulse155

Impulse155 Senior member

2 things...

some times people cant sleep because they forget to do something...

So make sure theres no boogy man in ur closet
    No monster under ur bed
    On tuesday your wearing the Tighty Whities that say Tuesday
    If you have a Wife make sure your sleeping with her

You get my point

2) Watch hockey if this fails always puts me right to sleep if theres no fights

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. j

Clown will eat me.
    We all float down here, Nicky.

9. j

ok, note to self. never mix vicodin and ambien again. i fell asleep right away but woke up with the most horrible hangover and feel like puking.

-Jeff

Watch out with Ambien, that stuff is crazy. I was taking it for a while and if I didn't fall STRAIGHT asleep, like within 5 minutes, I would be up for hours having waking dreams and racing thoughts. I didn't like it. I would also occasionally send really weird emails to people during these spells and only vaguely remember doing it in the morning. Luckily nothing too embarrassing, but enough to make me stop taking it.

BTW, Colin Powell was quoted right during the beginning of the 2003 war that "everyone here [presumably, the White House or State Dept.] uses Ambien". That cleared up the 'how do they sleep at night' question...

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Embrace your insomnia, invent an imaginary friend, blow up your apartment, start a Fight Club. [​IMG]

11. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

yeah, it's not late (or early) but it's so amazingly frustrating when you want to get to sleep but can't. 1 vidodin and ambien within an hour and i still can't sleep. i suppose i could raid the fridge for some milk and Oreos. but then i'd have to brush my teeth again.

no other point to this post really.

arrrrgh...........hmmm...ok...starting to feel a little woosy...and the emoticons are starting to look 3d at the edges of my eyes...

-Jeff

just rub one out...

12. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

night number two. asleep at 11:30pm. awake at 2am and have been since. now it's 4:55am. i should probably give some background. i was diagnosed with a herniated disc a few monts ago and started sleeping on my back. i think that sleeping position is finally catching up to me as it gives me back soreness and is not so comfortable anymore. although once i fall asleep i seem to be ok.

anyway, it's good to have SF during the wee hours of the morn.

-Jeff

13. dusty

dusty Senior member

Throw in the Lord of the Rings DVD with the volume just quiet enough that you can't tell what they're saying. Or the lectures like stach said (I thought I was the only one!). Noam Chomsky has a particularly soothing voice.

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Have you tried anything with doxylamine succinate? It's over-the-counter - I believe it's called Unisom Sleep Tabs in the US - but it's the only sleep aid that works for me, whereas prescription stuff like temazepam has no effect on me whatsoever.

15. Matt

Matt [email protected]

well now its my turn.

1.40 am, sleep nowhere in sight.

dammit