• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

C&J or Alden?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
1,755
Not even sure if it's a fair question to ask (i.e. am I compare orange to apple), but thinking about buying myself a new pair of boots

I can either

1. buy this one (Alden for J Crew Shell Cordovan)
http://cgi.ebay.com/JCREW-Alden-Cord...ht_2927wt_1139

Shipping from US to UK would be about 40 USD, so come out about 540 USD total. This is assuming I don't get hit by custom, which might not be true. I got hit by a EG purchase from the States pretty badly last time... (though still turn out to be cheaper than when EG go on sale themselves)

Or

2. Pay retail for C&J Northcote (not shell cordovan, on 348 last, see link). Coincidently it is also 345 GBP in the store, though the one I saw had a color closer to burgundy which I prefer over the dark brown one on Pediwear. Plal has it cheaper before shipping, VAT, blah blah, but not sure how it will actually come out after everything is included
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/3536.php

Also there is a shell cordovan boots at the C&J store as well, it's a cap toe on leather sole instead of Dainite sole, kind similar to the Alden one above, I think it's on 341 last, though it's going for 510 GBP.

Or

3. Suck it up wait for the next BB sale and assume I am in the US at the time to buy this C&J Shell Cordovan for BB (though no idea how low it will go 30% to 40% off?)
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...uct_Id=1481969
if it ever gets to 35% to 40% off, then it will get to the same price range as the 2 above, does C&J shell for BB ever get that low?

4. Gamble a bit on sizing for this Alden cap toe, though never really a fan of used shoes, and don't really know Grant last and no real way to try it here in London

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alden-Shell-Cord...#ht_500wt_1156

5. Step up the money game to the EG or G&G big time boots...

Side note,
how often does Alden for BB shell cordovan go on sale both in UK and US?
I was looking at this guy in the Regent street store
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

and they're selling for 493 GBP!!! The US price is not cheap, but much bearable, though I would still probably wait until it go on sale (there are two 9.5D for this guy on ebay at the moment, both are dirt cheap, though 1 is in black, used and 1 is probably a 2nd).
 

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
7,527
Reaction score
25
BB cordovan shoes rarely go on sale, and when they do, expect maybe 15% off at the most.

Of all the examples you've shown, I am most partial to those BB Peals in shell. Second choice would be the C&Js. Those Alden x J Crew boots are a little ugly, IMO.
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
1,755
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
BB cordovan shoes rarely go on sale, and when they do, expect maybe 15% off at the most.

Of all the examples you've shown, I am most partial to those BB Peals in shell. Second choice would be the C&Js. Those Alden x J Crew boots are a little ugly, IMO.


Alden for BB Cordovan or C&J for BB Cordovan... or BOTH? damn I was hoping some huge sale from BB.
 

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
14,778
Reaction score
3,426
you are kinda talking apples and oranges :), the c&js are a good price compared to barneys (my vote for calf) its about $463 + shipping ($30 probably) http://www.barneys.com/Northcote/500...efault,pd.html alden shells are really nice (my vote for shell), my friend has them and i was surprised at how nice they are, though very burgandy they look exactly like this but with speed hooks http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...85589&page=713 if you are going to fork over about 1k for nice boots wait for leffot to get these (in fall) for $750 http://blog.leffot.com/category/foot...hurchs-brands/ these churches are very sleek finally if you want really nice shell boots go with Ron Rider Boots which are amazing! hope that helps a bit in the decision...
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
1,755
Originally Posted by sinnedk
you are kinda talking apples and oranges :),
the c&js are a good price compared to barneys (my vote for calf) its about $463 + shipping ($30 probably)
http://www.barneys.com/Northcote/500...efault,pd.html
alden shells are really nice (my vote for shell), my friend has them and i was surprised at how nice they are, though very burgandy they look exactly like this but with speed hooks http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...85589&page=713

if you are going to fork over about 1k for nice boots wait for leffot to get these (in fall) for $750
http://blog.leffot.com/category/foot...hurchs-brands/ these churches are very sleek
finally if you want really nice shell boots go with Ron Rider Boots which are amazing!
hope that helps a bit in the decision...


Wait, Church's MTO in US is $750 only for boots!? I got to ask the Church guys here then, can't be that bad even with VAT.

I agree 345 gbp is better than 595 usd, but that's not that much difference...

I really like the C&J for BB Peal ones, but 1K for a boots, sounds a bit too much, and I got to wait until I am in the US next time (or I can buy the C&J's own version of shell for less, about 510 gbp I think). In the end I think I will most likely paying retail for Northcote, and hoping for random ebay/B&S deal on Alden pop up...
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
1,755
Originally Posted by sinnedk
you are kinda talking apples and oranges :),
the c&js are a good price compared to barneys (my vote for calf) its about $463 + shipping ($30 probably)
http://www.barneys.com/Northcote/500...efault,pd.html
alden shells are really nice (my vote for shell), my friend has them and i was surprised at how nice they are, though very burgandy they look exactly like this but with speed hooks http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...85589&page=713

if you are going to fork over about 1k for nice boots wait for leffot to get these (in fall) for $750
http://blog.leffot.com/category/foot...hurchs-brands/ these churches are very sleek
finally if you want really nice shell boots go with Ron Rider Boots which are amazing!
hope that helps a bit in the decision...


by the way is Ron Rider Boots still selling through leffot or they have their own distribution channel?
 

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
3,044
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by clee1982
Alden for BB Cordovan or C&J for BB Cordovan... or BOTH? damn I was hoping some huge sale from BB.

You and most of us on SF.
 

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2009
Messages
2,691
Reaction score
138
I had a similar choice and went with the c&j for bb shell boots. They are awesome, better than any shell boots from Alden I have seen. They went on sale on black Friday for $600 ish but who knows if they will be made again
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
1,755
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I had a similar choice and went with the c&j for bb shell boots. They are awesome, better than any shell boots from Alden I have seen. They went on sale on black Friday for $600 ish but who knows if they will be made again

ah damn, you just complicated my choice, by a lot... 600 is a good deal.
 

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
14,778
Reaction score
3,426
Originally Posted by clee1982
Wait, Church's MTO in US is $750 only for boots!? I got to ask the Church guys here then, can't be that bad even with VAT.

I agree 345 gbp is better than 595 usd, but that's not that much difference...

I really like the C&J for BB Peal ones, but 1K for a boots, sounds a bit too much, and I got to wait until I am in the US next time (or I can buy the C&J's own version of shell for less, about 510 gbp I think). In the end I think I will most likely paying retail for Northcote, and hoping for random ebay/B&S deal on Alden pop up...


Leffot said "These boots were priced at $750 mto is additional $100," sorry for confusion, but he is ordering them for the fall, so $750 in fall or $850 mto,
ron rider has a few distributions try franco's fine clothier, leffot and j gilber footwear
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
12,410
Reaction score
1,755
Originally Posted by sinnedk
Leffot said "These boots were priced at $750 mto is additional $100," sorry for confusion, but he is ordering them for the fall, so $750 in fall or $850 mto,
ron rider has a few distributions try franco's fine clothier, leffot and j gilber footwear


that's all state side though, I probably just shoot up an email for the company website and see if they got any program in UK/Europe.
 

jimmyfingers

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
354
Reaction score
4
I don't think I have ever seen any Shell offerings from BB more than 15% off. The profit margin for shoes is already low w/o offering sales.

IMO, when spending this amount for shoes, get something you love even if it is 150 dollars more or whatever.

I really hate taking gambles at this price level too as far as sizing goes. Keep this in mind since you will have the headache of re listing if they don't fit
 

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2009
Messages
2,691
Reaction score
138
Originally Posted by jimmyfingers
I don't think I have ever seen any Shell offerings from BB more than 15% off. The profit margin for shoes is already low w/o offering sales.

t


They have gotten around this by starting some at $1k!
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 36 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 70 30.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 46 19.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 17 7.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 9 3.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 13 5.6%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,322
Messages
9,196,987
Members
193,155
Latest member
ntt

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top