• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote: I will certainly be adding to the description after this. My question is though, that if the buyer can see the color, design and style in the pictures and the measurements are accurately described, then what can be the complaint if I call it a sportcoat and it once had a matching pants. Until I heard this debate here not long ago I didn't even know there was a difference and I and my friends called everything a "jacket".

joshmick

Reaction score
To me, it seems more psycological. If I get a jacket that was originally be accompanied by pants, and it wasn't advertised as such, I feel a bit cheated. It really doesn't make a difference in the actual jacket, it just makes me feel like the seller wasn't being 100% up front.

That said, I used to list orphans as SC's and learned my lesson via other people on this very thread. Not worth the headache...

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will certainly be adding to the description after this. My question is though, that if the buyer can see the color, design and style in the pictures and the measurements are accurately described, then what can be the complaint if I call it a sportcoat and it once had a matching pants. Until I heard this debate here not long ago I didn't even know there was a difference and I and my friends called everything a "jacket".

You're complaining to the choir of everyone here who has ever bought a jacket thinking it was just a blazer / sport coat / jacket and didn't know there was a difference. If the person bought it from you (which it sounds like they did not) and is complaining after the fact, then the buyer didn't know what they were buying - perhaps based on your description. If they didn't buy it, but just messaged you asking why you're listing a suit coat as a sport coat, then they've just decided to single out your listing and call you on it because they wanted to make a fuss. That's all there is to it - you can't win by saying you included photos and a description and whatever else - it is what it is, and I don't understand why you continue to post about this suit coat that is not a sport coat, other than to vent about someone questioning you, which is entirely understandable, but the fact remains that it isn't a sport coat.

marc roberto

Reaction score
Quote:
You need to be a more patient, you entered a bit too late. I posted the sold listing in my first post. I don't care to complain, I'm just having a hard time grasping what appears to be a purely psychological stink. I assumed there was more to it than that and I'm hoping someone will be generous enough to share the difference.
As I already said, I am changing all of my listings to add that it may be a suit jacket with missing pants, because of the fact that right or wrong its bad for my business.

TJhambone09

Reaction score
Three bad eBay buys/gambles arrived today.

Thomas Pink shirt with no measurements in the listing. Sleeves are about a half inch too short. It's definitely wearable without a jacket, just a bit uncomfortable when I cross my arms.

Zegna casual shirt (hidden OCBD), it must be heavily tailored or something because I can't even button it. I held it up to one of my other Zegna shirts, same size, and it's about 3 inches smaller across the waist (so 6 inches total). Again, no measurements in the listing.

CT staple royal blue shirt with one distant picture, description just says "great condition!" Yeah, great condition except for the 1/2" hole next to the collar button. I may just fix this since it would always be covered with a tie and CT slim fit is my best fitting and favorite shirt, and I got it for $13.

I guess it's partially my fault on the first two for not asking for measurements, but measurements should be standard given the wide variation between brands. At least sleeve and p2p. I'm not happy about the third one though just because it is such a blatant case of withholding an obvious defect but like I said, I'm probably going to keep it.

I know, preaching to the choir here. :violin:

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thomas Pink shirt with no measurements in the listing. Sleeves are about a half inch too short. It's definitely wearable without a jacket, just a bit uncomfortable when I cross my arms.

Zegna casual shirt (hidden OCBD), it must be heavily tailored or something because I can't even button it. I held it up to one of my other Zegna shirts, same size, and it's about 3 inches smaller across the waist (so 6 inches total). Again, no measurements in the listing.

CT staple royal blue shirt with one distant picture, description just says "great condition!" Yeah, great condition except for the 1/2" hole next to the collar button. I may just fix this since it would always be covered with a tie and CT slim fit is my best fitting and favorite shirt, and I got it for $13.

I guess it's partially my fault on the first two for not asking for measurements, but measurements should be standard given the wide variation between brands. At least sleeve and p2p. I'm not happy about the third one though just because it is such a blatant case of withholding an obvious defect but like I said, I'm probably going to keep it.

I know, preaching to the choir here.
musicboohoo[1].gif

If that CT had a physical hole in it that wasn't described open a case, that is messed up. That would be pretty hard to miss...

namdaemun

Reaction score

I know, preaching to the choir here.
musicboohoo[1].gif

That's why I never buy when there aren't any measurements UNLESS if I know the brand/type very well. Ex: bought a RLBL motorcycle jacket without having to see the measurements. Plus, it was DIRT cheap

I say keep the CT but notify the seller. He was at fault and show him the photo. Hope he'll give you a partial refund because at the end of the day it's still cheap and you still need it, although it has a flaw.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arrives Friday, gives me 2 days to get setup for the Sunday/Monday rush. I will report after I get it going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370604519635?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Everyone's talking about ink here, no one else is using a label printer (that is willing to share experiences?)

I still grab the occasional orphaned suit coat either on accident, or it's too bad ass to pass up on. With the recent uproar, I just started to add the "no pants" thing to the description.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will certainly be adding to the description after this. My question is though, that if the buyer can see the color, design and style in the pictures and the measurements are accurately described, then what can be the complaint if I call it a sportcoat and it once had a matching pants. Until I heard this debate here not long ago I didn't even know there was a difference and I and my friends called everything a "jacket".
My take:

Blazer: Almost Always Solid Color, Metal buttons. can stretch to include a contrasting button of Shell, MOP, Wood etc. But almost always solid. Always non-matching buttons. And yes, I know there are regatta blazers that come in varying stripes or in solids with colored piping on the lapels, but those still have contrasting buttons. There are also various blazers for clubs/clans/schools that may feature a tartan but these would usually have metal buttons, usually for the club as well.

Sports Coat: Any pattern, Any Cut, Any button, Matching or not.

Suit Coat: Any pattern, any cut, any button, but usually matching.

I don't see any difference at all in the sports coat/ suit coat category in that they can be cut the same, be 3 button, 2 button, single vent, double vent, un vented. Pin Stripe, Plaid, herringbone, tone on tone doesn't matter.

However, if the tag calls out a suit with a drop, "Suit Coat" should be in your listing somewhere.

If I had a nice dark gray orphan, with no size tag and an extra set of pewter ish or silver buttons, I'd be tempted to replace them so the blazer shows thru.

SANS TAG, you're making an educated guess.

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arrives Friday, gives me 2 days to get setup for the Sunday/Monday rush. I will report after I get it going.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370604519635?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Everyone's talking about ink here, no one else is using a label printer (that is willing to share experiences?)

I still grab the occasional orphaned suit coat either on accident, or it's too bad ass to pass up on. With the recent uproar, I just started to add the "no pants" thing to the description.
I have a Dymo turbo450. I bought a roll of the labels they sell for internet postage.

Under no circumstance have I been able to get it to work with ebay postage. On my mac, the pitney bowes java implementation doesn't render properly when producing output for that size, even thought its an option in the set up. I can copy all the info to the template and print that, but I'm not going to do that routinely. when I get time, I'm going to hook it up to a windows 7 machine I built last summer out of parts and see if it works from that and if so, I'd leave that set up as the mail station.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as a follow up to the GSP's "Ridiculous" shipping prices, I recently sold a sweater to a GSP buyer from Japan. His shipping costs were $27.50, which is in line with International Priority or Express shipping options. It is obviously more than E-Delcon/First Class but that is a choice you will have to make as a seller. I don't consider under $30 to ship a sweater to Japan ridiculous.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I posted this yesterday or not, but...

Does anyone have a reference for pinning mannequins? I want to learn to do it well and I've checked youtube a bit but the guides have been 'eh'.

Last edited:

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Jebarne. I'm thinking it depends on dialect. Some call it suit coat, some call it suit jacket etc. I tried googling the difference and I only found generalities.
I use coat because its less letters in the title. Nothing scientific. If I have space, I use both.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Arrives Friday, gives me 2 days to get setup for the Sunday/Monday rush.  I will report after I get it going.

I still grab the occasional orphaned suit coat either on accident, or it's too bad ass to pass up on.  With the recent uproar, I just started to add the "no pants" thing to the description.

I have a Dymo turbo450. I bought a roll of the labels they sell for internet postage. 

Under no circumstance have I been able to get it to work with ebay postage. On my mac, the pitney bowes java implementation doesn't render properly when producing output for that size, even thought its an option in the set up. I can copy all the info to the template and print that, but I'm not going to do that routinely. when I get time, I'm going to hook it up to a windows 7 machine I built last summer out of parts and see if it works from that and if so, I'd leave that set up as the mail station. 

I have a standard Dymo 450 and it works fine. It prints out long-format 2.5x7" labels rather than the standard USPS/Ebay/PP format, so you have to set up those settings specifically in your print preferences on both Ebay and Paypal.

I used these instructions: http://xytek-sales.com/setup99019.html

Plus this video:

and was able to figure out how to set it up from there. It works great now - no ink needed, and the labels print much faster than with my old inkjet.

I did have a headache the other night with Java giving me an error. Apparently the newest Java version has stricter security settings by default and the label applet doesn't meet them. I had to turn down the Java security restriction level, and it worked after that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads