• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May 30 I sold a NWOT Robert Talbott made in Italy genuine horse hide belt (I didn't even mention anywhere in the listing that it's made of horse hide although it was pictured on the belt).

Yesterday the buyer opened a case.

"Dear Selleer, I am writing to you in regards to returning this belt. It appears the belt that I received is not as described. The material appears not be horse leather. I trust that you will accept this request for refund. If you can provide me with your address, I will make arrangements to return the product and share with you a tracking number for your reference. Thank you and kind regards"​

Of course the belt is a genuine Robert Talbott belt and for some reason he believes it's not real horse hide. I'm no expert on leathers but I trust the belt label embossed on the back.

Should I just refund him or do I have a chance at winning this case if escalated to eBay customer support?

When someone wants to make a return on one of my listings, I always ask them in what way the item was not as described (because I do not accept returns due to "does not fit", and I measure and inspect like crazy...if the person just wanted to try it on and didn't like it or didn't know their own size, I won't accept that as a reason). I would ask by what manner they determined it was not as described / not horse hide. Do all your communication through eBay and not direct email. eBay usually sides with a buyer, since the buyer can make up pretty much anything when they want to return something, especially if they know how to get around the "not as described" reason. If the buyer starts being vague and just says things like "it won't work for me" and that sort of thing, and won't answer your question as to how it's not as described, you'll lose the case and have to refund the item and shipping both ways, which is a part of selling on eBay - people who think you are Zappos and/or take advantage of the system. In those cases I just suck it up, issue the refund ONLY when it is received back in the same condition, and add them to my block list as well as the SF blacklist.
BTW, I did find your completed listing and based on the back markings it does look genuine to me.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This buyer purchased a pair of bally shoes which were described that they needed to be resoled and there were clear photos of the inside of the shoes.

These messages took place 11 days ago.....

Dear weso0119,

I bought this pair og shoes from you but is very unsatisfy with this deal. I really don't believe this is worth $42.86. If you are willing to credit my account at least $20, I would have no alternative but to return it. Please call me at (763) 221-7878 to discuss further.
Thanks!

- jhwillis

Dear jhwillis,

Hello. I am sorry you are I satisfied with your purchase. What seems to be wrong with the shoes?

Wes

Dear weso0119,

I did mentioned that it is not worht the $42.86 with the toes about to come apart and the inside is not up tp par. I need a credit to my account or return!

- jhwillis

Dear jhwillis,

I'm sorry, I missed the part of your first message where you described the damages.

Since the condition of the interior is clearly photographed, and the listing indicated that the soles needed to be replaced, I will be unable to issue you a partial refund at this time. Had there been some other damage not shown or mentioned in the listing, I may have been able to work something out. It appears that we will not be able to meet an agreement on that aspect, so please feel free to return them for a refund.

You may return them to me at the following address,
Capnwes
123 My address
My Town, My State, 12345

Yesterday....

WTF!

Last edited:

green_machine

Reaction score
can ebay take that off? you obviously have communication saying you will accept a return. It is bold faced lying in feedback. I think that is feedback abuse.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I am hoping, although it does not directly violate the ebay feedback policies.

The first, second and third person will likely say it cannot be removed...but I'd keep asking for their supervisor's supervisor until you reach someone who can help...from my experience, it appears to be their job to tell you nothing can be done until it gets escalated.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the buyer's messages to you, I feel like you used way too many big words to explain he can return them ...

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Or he just realized that isn't actually your address. I think he's caught on to your games, Wes:paranoia:

Last edited:

garyclark

Reaction score
Just bought two items from the same seller for exactly my max bid. This is the first time that's happened to me after years of buying.

Different ebay IDs on the second highest bids, but that means little to me.

Did I just get really lucky to happen to have bid less than a buck more than the second-highest bidder, or is something foul?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Based on the buyer's messages to you, I feel like you used way too many big words to explain he can return them ...

Or he just realized that isn't actually your address. I think he's caught on to your games, Wes:paranoia:
lol8[1].gif

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just bought two items from the same seller for exactly my max bid. This is the first time that's happened to me after years of buying.

Different ebay IDs on the second highest bids, but that means little to me.

Did I just get really lucky to happen to have bid less than a buck more than the second-highest bidder, or is something foul?

luck

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happiness is transferring a fair chunk of change from your ebay paypal account to your bank account and realizing that because of the USD-CAN exchange rate, you're actually getting more than you transferred! :slayer:

Unhappiness will be taking the cash next week and exchanging it back into USD for your trip to the states. :brick:

JesseLivermore

Reaction score
I just sold my very first two items (they both paid instantly) and don't want to screw up the shipping process, even if it is supposed to be rather simple.

Both items sold separately for ~$90 each and weigh less than 1 pound.

I don't have access to a printer, and I suppose I could go to a public library or something, but is there real reason I should be doing this? For instance, will my Paypal payment be delayed significantly if I just did everything at the post office?

Assuming I do not print the shipping label at home, is there anything I should know before going to the post office?

Third, should I ship with "Signature Confirmation" or any other precautionary measures?

I realize that most of you are quite big sellers and have done this a thousand times, but I can't help but feel both excited and just a tiny bit anxious that something will go wrong.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just sold my very first two items (they both paid instantly) and don't want to screw up the shipping process, even if it is supposed to be rather simple.

Both items sold separately for ~$90 each and weigh less than 1 pound.

I don't have access to a printer, and I suppose I could go to a public library or something, but is there real reason I should be doing this? For instance, will my Paypal payment be delayed significantly if I just did everything at the post office?

Assuming I do not print the shipping label at home, is there anything I should know before going to the post office?

Third, should I ship with "Signature Confirmation" or any other precautionary measures?

I realize that most of you are quite big sellers and have done this a thousand times, but I can't help but feel both excited and just a tiny bit anxious that something will go wrong.

Bring to the post office pre-packed and addressed. If you ship Priority or Standard, delivery tracking will be free. When you get back home, mark each item as "shipped" and add the tracking # (make sure you add the correct tracking # to the correct item - you might need to look at the original order on eBay to find the destination zip code and match it to your receipt to know what is what). Your PayPal payment (if by this you mean transferring from PayPal to your bank account) will not be affected at all - you already have the $ in PayPal if the buyers paid immediately. Signature Confirmation is not required unless it's something quite valuable, or the buyer requested it (if the latter, you would/should charge the buyer extra, since the USPS will charge you extra for signature confirmation).
You can either use the Automated Postal Center (APC) or a real human - makes no difference, except many APC's are available after post office lobby windows are closed - just make sure the large bin where you place your packages is not locked, or so full you cannot safely put your package in, before buying postage via the APC.

If you plan to start selling bigger-time, consider investing in a printer and small digital scale. The printer allows you to print postage/paid mailing labels at home, and when purchased through eBay or just online in general, you get a discount. The scale is used to weigh your packages, if applicable (i.e.: if you ship using USPS Priority flat-rate boxes & packaging, then there's no need to weigh anything; however, flat-rate in many cases is more expensive than standard USPS Priority but you have to buy your own shipping boxes / mailers etc). Since your package will be ready to ship, you can schedule USPS to come to your home or work and pick it up for free via usps.com - no driving to/from the post office, which is my favorite thing. When postage is purchased through eBay, it automatically adds the tracking # to the sold item, for the buyer to be able to track.
Downside is the printer needs ink - I just replaced mine today which cost $52. Printer paper, tape, etc also add up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads