Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Do you find folks fight the restocking fee? The current return I have ongoing the guy is claiming inaccurate measurements so I'm planning on giving a full refund to try and avoid a negative feedback and going with a second chance offer tithe next in line.

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I don't fight it if they contest it. I do remind them of the 12% ebay/paypal fees, and the free shipping I paid to let them try the item on. Most don't complain about it but I have had a few. I had one last week who I negotiated down to 5%. If they are claiming it is my fault, I don't even bother with the restocking fee. That would be asking for trouble.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

This restocking fee talk is timely. Like Cap, I dont fight it if contested, and affirmatively waive it (and original shipping) if its clearly my error. It does piss me off when dudes contest it. But cap: how are ebay/ppl fees relevant to justifying the restock? Those fees are refunded when you process a return. I usually say it goes to listing fees, shipping time/materials and perceived value diminution among buyers that the item is defective where in fact it is not. i'd say roughly 50% of buyers are cool about it and others are jerks. For example, one guy, who bought brand new AE Sanfords and returned based on color transfer and some writing on the sole, threw a hissy fit that i wanted the restock fee. Another guy is saying I minimized the mothball smell in some nwob alden suede shoes even though I USED ALL CAPS WHEN DESCRIBING IT.
    There's just no pleasing some people.

4. tben

tben Senior member

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

eBay usually takes those listings down, I was bidding on another pair of Alden's that got taken down a few times for keyword spamming. I also almost got my account locked since eBay thought using RRL and deadstock boss selvedge chino was a offense. Then next rep said RRL Double RL was an offense, then next rep said selvedge was an offense. Gave up after that with the item and just waited a bit and relisted with a super basic title

6. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

The absolute worst thing imo in listings are the NWOT that are obviously not new.

Half the listings on eBay are nwot... realistically, how often do you buy a new item, take the tags off and decide to never wear it. If you flip items from thrift stores, unless you pulled the tag off or found 10 nwt shirts and a couple didn't have tags, don't call it nwot!

It saturates the listings with "new" items and is completely dishonest.

7. DanM

DanM Senior member

I tossed in the first bid on that for fun, just got an e-mail from ebay saying the auction was pulled. My feeling is that if you want to mention all the other brands, include a blurb in the description about your store and that you regularly sell all those as well. Of course, that means that my description searches regularly pull up new balance and aasics because the seller claims to deal in better brands as well, but its more honest IMHO.

8. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

EDIT: eBay FAQ tells me no. Disregard...

If I want to use eBay's photo hosting, is there any way I can upload more than 12 photos (clothing item)? I understand I'll have to pay for more than 12...but don't want to go thru the hassle of hosting my own inline images, yet want more than 12. Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yes, there are ebay apps for that. Try, 123show. You have tons of options for slide shows or galleries that are loaded right into your descriptions. Free 30 day trial. Multiple pricing levels. Easy to use. The only down side is many times the extra images are not viewable on all smartphones, at least not the iphone.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

^or buy a Mac and use garagesale. They will host 20 pics for you.

11. TheNeedMachine

...by that, I meant could I have bought a one-time "picture upgrade" through eBay, to have more than their 12 standard photos (like in the old days where you got so many for free, then could pay 15 cents or whatever it was for each additional). Guess they're all 12 free for non-Motors. I just didn't want to dink around with my old way - I do already have a domain for storing files that I FTP to...but it had been so long I forgot the HTML code and whatnot. Figured it out - all good - got my 18 pics in the body of my listing (not sure why I bothered though - it's for a Lubiam suit that'll probably never sell).

Thanks.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

13. TheNeedMachine

I'll likely end up doing that once my domain expires and I don't renew it - I had it for hosting pictures and videos etc for years, before eBay upgraded their image options.

14. TheNeedMachine

Anyone else getting a DNS lookup failure on eBay? My seller page comes up fine, but if I search / revise etc - anything that relies on the "cgi5" page - cannot connect. Weird. Happening the last 30 minutes. All other sites are fine, can navigate around eBay but not search / revise / some other stuff....
    Of course as soon as I post this, it will be fixed.

Naturally, it's now fixed. I didn't do anything - just resolved itself.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

15. JesseLivermore

JesseLivermore Active Member

I messed up and underestimated just how long I will be able to deliver on an item that I currently have up for auction. It is set to end on Sunday, and I set it for 2 business days handling time. I am new to this and really feel like an idiot for not being more careful with this. Now I am unsure of what to do. The item will sell. While there is still a chance I will be able to ship within the time I committed to, what should I expect to happen if I can not ship within the 2 business days window that I have?

The absolute latest I will be able to ship will be at most 3 business days after the auction ends - How big of a problem is this for me as a seller, and what are my options?