• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've bought a few boots from their shop(s) on Jermyn St in London.  Once at the actual store and had them shipped (VAT removed).  They shipped UK ParcelForce/USPS so I paid no duty.  I've also ordered via phone as @eljimberino
 states and it worked the same way.

I have the whiskey Harlech version from the first run (double leather sole) and it is an incredible color.  However, the brown Harlech has "arguably" more depth/patina in my opinion.  As far as another C&J, I actually prefer the Skye to the Islay.  If you like whiskey shell, a group was trying (or has already) to do a GMTO of the Skye in whiskey.  Can't keep track of all the GMTOs going on.

If you're just getting into boots, you could also look at other brands. At a similar or slightly lower price point, Aldens make a really nice range of casual/dressy boots.  One of my favorite brands is Viberg.  Edward Green is very popular on this thread.  I am looking forward to my first EG MTO.

I really am not trying to be an enabler.  Well, maybe I am...

Please do enable.

I find its always best to know what the possibilities are (what's exactly out there).

OP please do take your time and have a good look around.

I find It's up to the individual to determine what they really want and what they are willing to spend.

So I have no problem mentioning those you might want to consider.

If you like C&J you really should have a look at Vass, and EG.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The horror! For being almost exclusively a boot guy (other than trainers, I own only three pairs of shoes), I think I am opening up to buying some shoes in the near future. Some of the EP/Alden guys are talking up a shell/suede saddle that sounds very interesting. I also need a sleeker dress shoe to wear with a suit. One factor that's spurring this on is it's already pushing 100F here now. And I'm getting too old to wear boots in this heat.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

For those with lined shell boots, what temperature range do you find your boots most comfortable? Would you consider them wearable up to 60°-65° F with thin socks?

I wear my shell boots to the office year round.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The horror!  For being almost exclusively a boot guy (other than trainers, I own only three pairs of shoes), I think I am opening up to buying some shoes in the near future.  Some of the EP/Alden guys are talking up a shell/suede saddle that sounds very interesting.  I also need a sleeker dress shoe to wear with a suit.  One factor that's spurring this on is it's already pushing 100F here now.  And I'm getting too old to wear boots in this heat.

I find it a bit limiting and somewhat tunnel vision to just focus on shoes or to just focus on boots. I find it best to have a bit of both.

You might want to take a look at Edward Green they have some marvelous shoes.

I hate to be an. Enabler. LOL

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it a bit limiting and somewhat tunnel vision to just focus on shoes or to just focus on boots. I find it best to have a bit of both.

You might want to take a look at Edward Green they have some marvelous shoes.

I hate to be an. Enabler. LOL

You are of course, so correct. But I do think you are calling me tunnel-visioned.
shog[1].gif

JK, d*3.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are of course, so correct.  But I do think you are calling me tunnel-visioned. 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

JK, d*3.

I probably could have said it a lot better. LOL

But it's probably because I do feel pretty strongly about being fairly well rounded with regards to having not only nice boots but also having nice shoes as well.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are anecdotes about the warmth of shell cordovan -- and then there is hard science about the relative porosity of common shoe leathers. Shell is denser and thus hotter than calf, no matter what our feet might say, but not all feet sweat as much.

See here for all results:

http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4489325;page=root;view=image;size=100;seq=588;num=1092
32º in Madrid today. Shell shoes on....too hot for my feet....I´ll better put them in the fridge
satisfied.gif

carlos20co

Reaction score
These are from a Mexican shoe maker named "Cuadra". These were my first boots. It's a shame that they don't use better construction on their shoes, they have a lot of potential.

Are the Cuadra boots true to size? I just bought a pair online on the weekend and I'm waiting for them to be delivered.

carlos20co

Reaction score
These are not SF approved, but they look really nice. I wish the leather and construction were better.

Do any of you know if there are any boots like these from a reputable maker?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are not SF approved, but they look really nice. I wish the leather and construction were better.

Do any of you know if there are any boots like these from a reputable maker?

These are a fairly popular style and Numerous brands have a boot just like this.

AE, Alden, and Crockett and Jones to name just a few.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
carlos20co, those look like Stacy Adams' boots, very popular with the vintage crowd due to that bulbous biscuit toe and natural-colour welt with white stitching. I believe no other factory has a similar makeup for RTW, but you can always have something similar made with Meermin or other MTO makers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads