Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Jan 20, 2015.

1. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

I'm sure someone has a picture of the 890, 888, and MH71 next to each other, no?
    Something a bit TOO square about the 890 in the pictures I've seen, but I also feel the same about the TG73 which everyone seems to love, so what the heck do I know.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I posted a photo in the EG thread of the 888 vs 890 unfortunately we shall wait until august when my Thorpe arrive to compare the mh71.

3. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior member

Thanks for that, I'll have a look-see!

4. KPDarb

KPDarb Senior member

WOW

5. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

For those with lined shell boots, what temperature range do you find your boots most comfortable? Would you consider them wearable up to 60°-65° F with thin socks?

6. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair of Harlech shell boots from C&J...but I live in a warm climate so I don't want to spend $1100 on something that might not be right for me. Any help is appreciated.

7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:That shell wears very hot is one of those generally accepted SF facts that simply does not match my experience. I have naturally warm feet - I can't wear shearling lined boots in winter, for example, as they are too warm. But I wear my shell shoes and boots year 'round. Now, our summers are neither long nor sweltering hot (at least not for more than a couple days here and there). And I'm not suggesting that there is NO difference between calf and shell - I do find shell a bit warmer - just not the extreme differece that is often suggested on this forum. Now, what your climate is and what your particular tolerance might be, I cannot say. But if you can comfortably wear tall calf boots in your region, you are probably okay with shell in my experience (which seems to run counter to the group experience).

8. laufer

laufer Senior member

This has been my experience with shell too.

9. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

as long as they aren't fur lined yes, they're still comfortable at 65f. shell is really no warmer than any other
    leather boot. after about 80f, I give up on boots in general.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  10. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Any temperature, but I usually go for my unlined AE walnut shell Daltons if it's a particularly warm day but I want to wear boots.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  11. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

Thank you gentlemen… After reading your comments I decided to pull the trigger. I called C&J NY and they won’t have my size in till mid July which is fine since I intend to use these primarily during the fall/winter. I live in the southeast United States where it is extremely humid most of the year so I rarely reach for boots when it’s over 75F (which seems like ½ the year).

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

You will love the Harlechs. Are you getting the dark brown shell version? Congrats on your decision.

13. yeknal

yeknal Senior member

Thanks BootSpell... Yes I'm getting the dark brown shell. C&J also do a whiskey shell version (C&J GMTO thread). Any suggestions for boot #2? Islays are high on my list but maybe for boot #3 or #4. I'm leaning toward a chelsea or chukka (Tetbury possibly) to maximize versatility.

Thanks for the help and kind words.

14. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

If you know your size, ring/email the UK shop through the C&J website. They may have your size in stock and VAT is removed.

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I've bought a few boots from their shop(s) on Jermyn St in London. Once at the actual store and had them shipped (VAT removed). They shipped UK ParcelForce/USPS so I paid no duty. I've also ordered via phone as @eljimberino states and it worked the same way.

I have the whiskey Harlech version from the first run (double leather sole) and it is an incredible color. However, the brown Harlech has "arguably" more depth/patina in my opinion. As far as another C&J, I actually prefer the Skye to the Islay. If you like whiskey shell, a group was trying (or has already) to do a GMTO of the Skye in whiskey. Can't keep track of all the GMTOs going on.

If you're just getting into boots, you could also look at other brands. At a similar or slightly lower price point, Aldens make a really nice range of casual/dressy boots. One of my favorite brands is Viberg. Edward Green is very popular on this thread. I am looking forward to my first EG MTO.

I really am not trying to be an enabler. Well, maybe I am...