• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Lopez & Edward Green Picadilly Sizing

quant_trader

Reaction score
Good evening SF,

Long time forum lurker here. I'd like to take the time to thank you for the countless forum posts that have been very useful to me the last couple of years.

I'm posting as I require some advice regarding the fitting of loafers, the John Lobb Lopez and Edward Green Picadilly to be exact.

My first purchase was the Edward Green picadilly dark oak in a UK 8,5. The shoe was quite tight when I tried it on, however I was under the impression that it would stretch. Upon reflection I now know that as I tried the shoes on in the morning, the lack of swelling most likely gave me a false sense of security regarding the fit.

After wearing it for several weeks I can definitely say that the loafer was too small. I then spontaneously purchased the EG chelsea in black (82 last) in a UK 9. This shoe fits me beautifully and is extremely comfortable to wear at work.

I am therefore certain that my correct size in the EG picadilly is a UK9. (I tried it in a UK9,5 and it felt a bit roomy). Now, regarding the John Lobb Lopez. I ordered the loafer in a size UK9. I have tried it and worn it around my apartment a couple times. It does feel slightly roomy, yet comfortable. My only worry is that I can feel there is a slight heel slip when I walk around (with thin socks), perhaps 1 cm of movement at the most. It's not terribly bad, I wouldn't be able to walk myself out of the shoe, however I'm just concerned that the lower heel (compared to the EG picadilly and chelsea) will be annoying in the long run. If I really push my foot forwards so my big toe touches the inside of the shoe I can fit part of my finger behind the heel.

What are your experiences with the JL Lopez? I'm afraid if I size down to a UK8,5 it will be a lot less comfortable at the front or on the sides of my foot. Also, will the slipping subside as the sole is worn and becomes more flexible?

I really would appreciate your input and attitudes towards the correct fit of a loafer. Perhaps which sizes you wear in comparable lasts/makers. Btw I'm also a UK9 in the crockett and jones boston (although it's a tad on the short size for me, but the heel is a bit higher up which grips my heel).

Best regards

Is this normal for "comfortable" loafers?

cefiro

Reaction score
Hi,
Long-time lurker here coming out of the shadows as I can answer your question exactly!

I am a UK9 in the Belgravia (and also in EG's Dover and Galway) so when I wanted to buy a black penny, I went with the same sizing with the picadilly, however much like you, it was too tight. I spoke to the guys at EG and they said because it has the "strap" ( I don't know the technical term for the bit that goes across the top of the tongue/vamp) it doesn't allow the shoe to open up to fit around your foot. I sized up a few times but then it just got too long (still had issues with the windth)so I gave up...

A few days later i thought I would try out Lobb's lopez so I ordered a UK9 but it was a bit too big... I sent it back and was suggested to try the 8.5 which I did and it fit like a glove. probably the best fitting loafer I have ever worn.

So, you may have some good luck if you try the 8.5 in the Lopez too!

Good luck

quant_trader

Reaction score
Hi,
Long-time lurker here coming out of the shadows as I can answer your question exactly!

I am a UK9 in the Belgravia (and also in EG's Dover and Galway) so when I wanted to buy a black penny, I went with the same sizing with the picadilly, however much like you, it was too tight. I spoke to the guys at EG and they said because it has the "strap" ( I don't know the technical term for the bit that goes across the top of the tongue/vamp) it doesn't allow the shoe to open up to fit around your foot. I sized up a few times but then it just got too long (still had issues with the windth)so I gave up...

A few days later i thought I would try out Lobb's lopez so I ordered a UK9 but it was a bit too big... I sent it back and was suggested to try the 8.5 which I did and it fit like a glove. probably the best fitting loafer I have ever worn.

So, you may have some good luck if you try the 8.5 in the Lopez too!

Good luck

Haha, excellent!
I am also a UK9 in the Belgravia and also the unlined loafer version they do. I think they call it the “tongue”, however I may be mistaken. I had the exact same problem, it would push against the top of my foot and cause me quite a bit of discomfort.
That’s really helpful, I was slightly unsure whether or not I should just accept that it feels slightly roomy, however you have motivated me to order another pair of JL Lopez UK8,5. Do you know if it’s worth dropping half a size down from Edward Green to John Lobb on most of the JL lasts? I’m also interested in the William monkstrap and also their Oxford.

Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads