• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still trying to learn how to mix and match clothing..
gio_ocean_blue_2.jpg

What colour top and shoes(right now only have some navy,camel dirtybuck derby, Alden indy, #8 lwb, Trickers malton cshade) will you match with the unis glo ocean blue chinos?

That's a very versatile color! It would coordinate well with neutrals (e.g. khaki, gray), navy, orange, deep reds, loden green, other somewhat unsaturated colors (but don't overdo it; you don't want to look like an Easter egg). I think all of those shoes would do with them, honestly. Here are a couple fits that incorporate somewhat similar colors, though in jackets instead of trousers:

Last edited:

mlg321

Reaction score
Khaki chinos with beeswax Clark DBs works right, as far as color matching goes? If so, any recommendation on what color top would work with it?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there much difference between a $700 Diesel Jacket and a $1155 Surface To Air jacket? I have both in front of me, the leather on the S2A seems to be of better quality, a bit thicker, yet just as soft as the Diesel one, which is thinner. I'm specifically asking about the Diesel Liroy and the S2AxKOL jackets, and if I should trade my Diesel for his S2A. Help today would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

I can't speak for those particular coats, but I would just say if you're budgeting 1K give or take for a leather then there are much better options. :fonz:

ratpack66

Reaction score
tucking in of shirts
Hello everyone new member here.I'm 10 -15 pounds overweight.little bit of a belly.I like to wear my dress shirts and most button down shirts tucked in.My dad and brother both say I should wear it untucked to hide my belly.I feel untucked is very sloppy looking.Any thoughts

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, they're wrong. Untucked doesn't actually hide your belly, everyone can still see it's there. You'll just look like a slob as well as fat.

ohturtle

Reaction score
I received as a gift a really nice, double breasted, dinner jacket that really does not fit me. It's 2 sizes too big and the sleeves are too short. Is there any way a tailor could fix this?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's 2 sizes too big and the sleeves are too short. Is there any way a tailor could fix this?

Given enough money, and a good enough tailor, nearly anything can be fixed. But if the jacket's two sizes too large, fixing it would likely take a substantial amount of money, and even then the result may not be entirely satisfactory.

Unless this gift has enormous sentimental value to you, sell the dinner jacket for whatever it might be worth, then take the money and buy yourself something that fits.
--
Michael

dafein

Reaction score
Any idea where I might be able to find these cufflinks?

I have seen dual-sided knot cufflinks that are similar to the common silk ones but made of another material (non-metal). Does anyone have any idea what this material is or where I might find some? Apologies on not having a picture available for reference.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea where I might be able to find these cufflinks?

I have seen dual-sided knot cufflinks that are similar to the common silk ones but made of another material (non-metal). Does anyone have any idea what this material is or where I might find some? Apologies on not having a picture available for reference.

So not metal, but not silk? Can you describe what the meterial looks like? Is it a fabric similar to the silk ones? Maybe something rougher like a tweedy wool?

acedevil

Reaction score
Hello.
I have a few questions mainly related to casual wear since I am usually a formal person, I am always a little dressed for most occasions.
So,
A dark navy blue v-neck sweater with a crew neck t-shirt, black jeans and black leather Oxfords. What do you think?
How about the same but the sweater being a half zip?
What colored crew neck t-shirts would go with it? Black or dark green?
Will all this suit under a black jacket?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello.
I have a few questions mainly related to casual wear since I am usually a formal person, I am always a little dressed for most occasions.
So,
A dark navy blue v-neck sweater with a crew neck t-shirt, black jeans and black leather Oxfords. What do you think?
How about the same but the sweater being a half zip? 
What colored crew neck t-shirts would go with it? Black or dark green? 
Will all this suit under a black jacket?

Dark navy sweater with black is a no. Wear something with a color that's distinctly different, unless it actually matches (aka black or charcoal). Medium gray, a lighter navy, mid blue, sky blue, burgundy... Basically anything but dark navy.

I don't like the tee shirt under a v neck thing, but whatever. It's normal enough. Half zip is better, but I would still wear an oxford or some other long sleeve something. Shirt color can be just about anything, as long as it coordinates with the sweater. I wouldn't do white, because that just looks like an undershirt that you haven't figured out how to wear.

And no black jacket with the black jeans, unless it's leather. You don't want it to look like you're trying for a suit. Gray tweed, perhaps. Or a black leather bomber.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

1. Tan and black are going to go with totally different clothing. For these I would choose Oakwood.

2. Lands End or find a sale

3. Can't help you there.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members