• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

deionmccoy

Reaction score
Is is generally safe to order from overseas? I've never tried it. Also did I mention I'm on a budget?

Last edited:

acedevil

Reaction score
Quote:
Right, ok.
I am talking about a black jacket that has a leather-ish look to it. Does that make it fine? Or should I go with a dark blue jeans with that jacket?

And about no black and navy blue together. In normal light or even in dark, they still look distinctive and compliment each other. It's a deep dark blue but doesn't look like black at all.
So would black jeans go with a sweater like that?

And about dressing casually. I don't like t-shirts under sweaters either but when I wear a shirt with a sweater, it looks very formal which I usually wear but I am trying to look more casual.
A tucked out shirt with jeans and sweater just looks sloppy. (Agreed?) So what can I wear with the sweater and half zip to look more casual?

Oh and lastly, how does this seem for the colder days.
A grey shirt, half zip navy blue sweater, black jacket and dark blue jeans.

dafein

Reaction score

I have seen dual-sided knot cufflinks that are similar to the common silk ones but made of another material (non-metal). Does anyone have any idea what this material is or where I might find some? Apologies on not having a picture available for reference.

So not metal, but not silk? Can you describe what the meterial looks like? Is it a fabric similar to the silk ones? Maybe something rougher like a tweedy wool?

Thanks for the help on this-- the material looks like leather of some sort of synthetic twine.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is is generally safe to order from overseas? I've never tried it. Also did I mention I'm on a budget?

well sure...folks on here order **** from all over the world. Just stick w/ reputable dealers with real websites and clear satisfaction/return policies. If you find some great bag, for a too-good-to-be-true price from some guy in Shenzhen or Jakarta or something then, well you know it's probably not legit. That Japanese site is totally fine...other members have bought from there. What's the budget btw?

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on covert fabric for a sportcoat? I'm not too familiar with it but came across it recently and am considering that it would make a nice looking, but durable and well-wearing SC. Thoughts?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Khaki chinos with beeswax Clark DBs works right, as far as color matching goes? If so, any recommendation on what color top would work with it?

Bump?

These questions are kind of basic, so that's probably why you didn't get any response.

1. Yes. Beeswax DBs are a casual brown shoe. Khaki chinos are casual tan pants. What makes you think they won't work together? (rhetorical question, no need to answer)

2. You're wearing neutral pants and neutral shoes. You can wear nearly any color you want on top. This question is kind of like asking "I have two slices of bread. Any recommendation of what I can put in between them?"

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am shadowing a buyer for Bergdorf in NYC on Monday, and was told to show up in a relatively conservative suit (he said my ugly socks, belts and scarves would be fine since its a fashion related job), but there is a problem; it turns out since I've dropped ~60 lbs in the last year and a half, apparently all my dress shirts look like trashbags on me. I'm short on cash and time, so...

Question: Is it ever acceptable to wear a button down oxford with a business suit?

Suit in question is a navy blue microcheck (weave only, no other colors in it). I have a large collection of conservative oxfords, but I tend to think of them as country clothes, aka not businesswear, so I'm guessing I need to pick up a decent white dress shirt on short notice.... Right or wrong?

harry2quinn

Reaction score

Dark navy sweater with black is a no. Wear something with a color that's distinctly different, unless it actually matches (aka black or charcoal). Medium gray, a lighter navy, mid blue, sky blue, burgundy... Basically anything but dark navy.
I don't like the tee shirt under a v neck thing, but whatever. It's normal enough. Half zip is better, but I would still wear an oxford or some other long sleeve something. Shirt color can be just about anything, as long as it coordinates with the sweater. I wouldn't do white, because that just looks like an undershirt that you haven't figured out how to wear.
And no black jacket with the black jeans, unless it's leather. You don't want it to look like you're trying for a suit. Gray tweed, perhaps. Or a black leather bomber.

I'll go ahead and disagree with you. A navy sweater with black doesn't emphasize the contrast, but I don't see it as a wrong by a rule or necessity. It'll probably look just fine.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question: Is it ever acceptable to wear a button down oxford with a business suit?

It is almost always a perfectly fine choice.

I am aware of the rule which says that OCBDs are not to be worn with shirts. However this rule never had anything like near universal acceptance - old photos pretty much prove this - and whatever acceptance it did once have has eroded over time to the point where it's almost meaningless today.

If one wishes to refrain from wearing OCBDs with business suits, that's fine. But it's purely a personal choice. If one prefers wearing OCBDs with business suits, that's fine, too.

It's akin to the rule against wearing brown in the City. Or against wearing a non-white dress shirt with a business suit. Or against wearing non-black shoes with a grey or navy suit. Rules which have been diminished in strength over the years to the point where their remaining significance is of little more than relatively limited situational importance. (For example, I might not care to wear a brown suit to an employment interview.)

And yes, I recognize that in other parts of the world, different standards may exist. Many of these rules originated in London (the "City" in the aforementioned rule on wearing brown), and I'm led to believe that even today OCBDs with business suits are far less common there, than they are in, say, Manhattan.

BTW, assuming your weight loss was intentional, I congratulate you. I'd also suggest that you reward yourself by maybe picking up an affordable - but perfectly serviceable - non-OCBD dress shirt, sometime soon. Particularly if it's on sale and there's some 30% coupon code floating around, a dress shirt from Lands' End might well fit the bill. It just sounds like you might be more comfortable having a non-OCBD option available to you, is all.
--
Michael

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you were going to shadow a lawyer or banker I might suggest against it, but doing something fashion-related I'm sure it would be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads