• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cliche

Reaction score
Used to be a Northampton (ENG.) premium brand- name sold to a Spanish-Port.? shoe co. Still very high quailty/goodyear vamp, etc. If not too expensive, get them

How would you compare the to Crockett & Jones quality? for $100 more I could get a pair of new C&J thats why im thinking about it little. Dont want to be disappointed :p

VonLehndorff

Reaction score
Without seeing the Spencer's and if I had to back-up my opinion I would say chose the C&J

cliche

Reaction score
Without seeing the Spencer's and if I had to back-up my opinion I would say chose the C&J

Yeah it's pretty hard for me to try something new when I have worn C&J for so many years. I think im to scared to try something new haha! Will be a pair of new C&J instead :p

Thanks anyways!

RZach

Reaction score

kushburner

Reaction score
What width tie looks best for my size? Im 5'9, 140lbs (trying to get to 150).

I was thinking 2.75" but that size is very hard to find. Seems like most slim ties are 2.5" or 3". Im thinking 2.5" is too skinny however and I dont want to look like a hipster.

Archivist

Reaction score

I was thinking 2.75" but that size is very hard to find. Seems like most slim ties are 2.5" or 3". Im thinking 2.5" is too skinny however and I dont want to look like a hipster.

How wide are your lapels? More or less match your lapel width, but don't get obsessive about it. 2.75" is pretty skinny.

kushburner

Reaction score
How wide are your lapels? More or less match your lapel width, but don't get obsessive about it. 2.75" is pretty skinny.

It will be for casual wear possibly under a cardigan or sweater but no blazer or sportscoat. For for formal settings where I'd wear a suit, I think 3" works best.

Archivist

Reaction score

It will be for casual wear possibly under a cardigan or sweater but no blazer or sportscoat. For for formal settings where I'd wear a suit, I think 3" works best.

3", 3.25", widths like that are not hard to find right now, and under a sweater or cardigan the widest point won't show. Those widths would probably look fine with your build, unless your head is unusually large.

Personally, I like having a variety of widths. Sometimes a wider tie makes for a more interesting knot.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm probably as thin as you and 3" looks fine on me. 2.75" looks okay too but it's not necessary to go that narrow.

ambivalence

Reaction score
Still trying to learn how to mix and match clothing..

gio_ocean_blue_2.jpg

What colour top and shoes(right now only have some navy,camel dirtybuck derby, Alden indy, #8 lwb, Trickers malton cshade) will you match with the unis glo ocean blue chinos?

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Two part question, folks, regarding our corporate holiday event.

One: invitation lists the dress code of 'after 5.'

The organizer's... clarification listed Yahoo Answers responses to what 'after 5' meant.

"...formal wear. This would include cocktail dresses and suits for men."
"...also known as Evening Wear. That means that sparkles are allowed. It also means that it is NOT a casual event, however it is not a full-on formal event either."

Now, I know that in our language, both formal wear and evening wear indicate black tie. However, since this is corporate event for 500+ people, I'm guessing that this is essentially intended to be Black Tie Requested/Optional as defined at Black Tie Guide. "This terminology is used by those who want to host a very formal party but do not want to exclude guests that cannot afford a tuxedo."

Is that fair? And I know I can just clarify with the organizer (and I'm planning to), but I'm curious to know what you guys would do here. This is incidentally a pretty well-dressed firm (business casual every day), perhaps one level less formal than law firms / investment banks on a daily basis.

Two: are there any permutations with black watch tartan that are permissible at all with black tie? I would never wear a bright splash of color with black tie. I understand the austerity perspective, that it's a pristine uniform. But tartan has always seemed like it was somewhat appropriate in formal situations. I have a part of tartan pants, a tartan bow tie and a cummberbund. Which are acceptable to use? I was thinking I might bend the pure black rule to wear the tartan bow tie / cummerbund. Would love input.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The organizer's... clarification listed Yahoo Answers responses to what 'after 5' meant.

"...formal wear. This would include cocktail dresses and suits for men."
"...also known as Evening Wear. That means that sparkles are allowed. It also means that it is NOT a casual event, however it is not a full-on formal event either."

Well, being entirely contradictory those responses aren't very helpful. I would probably assume that they are just expecting dark suits, and not black tie, though tartan trousers are, imo, not only appropriate but encouraged.

nycstrokes

Reaction score
Is there much difference between a $700 Diesel Jacket and a $1155 Surface To Air jacket? I have both in front of me, the leather on the S2A seems to be of better quality, a bit thicker, yet just as soft as the Diesel one, which is thinner. I'm specifically asking about the Diesel Liroy and the S2AxKOL jackets, and if I should trade my Diesel for his S2A. Help today would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads