• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

docka

Reaction score
I bought a blazer in 36R and the shoulders fit nicely, however my chest is 34, which makes the jacket a bit loose in the chest/ waist. Is it typically a difficult and expensive task to taper the sides? I also need to shorten the sleeves a bit as well.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pretty easy job for most tailors, maybe 20$ for the sides and 15$ for the sleeves (unless they have functional button-holes, then it'll cost more)

Last edited:

XFactor

Reaction score
I have a relatively athletic/ slim build but have a little accumulated around the waist.

I am looking at having some suits made and I know that within 4-6 months I will be:
- Loosing a few inches on the waist (Go from 33/34 to 29/30)
- Gaining some inches on the shoulders / upper body

What do I need to account into or worry about with respect this change?
- What things could be adjusted by a tailor?
- Should I let the sizes be a little different in ADVANCE?

Thoughts / Suggestions?

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a relatively athletic/ slim build but have a little accumulated around the waist. I am looking at having some suits made and I know that within 4-6 months I will be: - Loosing a few inches on the waist (Go from 33/34 to 29/30) - Gaining some inches on the shoulders / upper body What do I need to account into or worry about with respect this change? - What things could be adjusted by a tailor? - Should I let the sizes be a little different in ADVANCE? Thoughts / Suggestions?
I can tell you that most everything can be altered EXCEPT the shoulders. If you'll be putting on some then best to but later or buy now and tailor later. My 2 cents.

Ackord02

Reaction score

These are Paul Smith's. Not sure what collection.

Paul Smith Corso

Similar model from PS: (Hal)

Other alternatives

Crockett and Jones Islay

Trickers Stow

Last edited:

XFactor

Reaction score
I can tell you that most everything can be altered EXCEPT the shoulders. If you'll be putting on some then best to but later or buy now and tailor later.
My 2 cents.
How about if these are my current and target measurements for shoulders (workout plan):

46​
48.5-51.7

Should I right size it in between? Some kind of temporary padding? Thoughts?

I am guessing slightly tightening up the slim fit trousers a bit should not be a biggie?

Chest 43
42.25​
Arms 13
15.209​

hennree

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure he has those and wants to try other brands out. 

Correct...

I've tried Levis 511's and sized them 30W/34L. My APC's are 29"W. The Levis are a bit too baggy & I'm wondering if sizing down to a 32 leg on the 511's would help that, but even in doing that I doubt they would fit as slim as the APC's.

Last edited:

docka

Reaction score
Correct...

I've tried Levis 511's and sized them 30W/34L. My APC's are 29"W. The Levis are a bit too baggy & I'm wondering if sizing down to a 32 leg on the 511's would help that, but even in doing that I doubt they would fit as slim as the APC's.
Why don't you give the 510s a shot or is it too tight?

h4id

Reaction score
How does one spot clean natural indigo denim?

I was playing catch outside and got a dime-sized skid of what smells like actual **** right below the knee of my new n&f jeans. Only found it the next day after wondering why the smell of a stable was following me around, so the crap was kind of caked in.

I just washed my jeans a week ago after wearing them for a month and a half, so I'm hesitant to do another wash (first pair of good selvedge denim).

I tried to scrape w/ things but the crud was kind of tacked into the weave. Next up I tried dabbing/scrubbing with a damp cloth. This got most of the smell and all visible gunk out but sucked out a LOT of the dye, leaving me with a random blue spot on my dark jeans :(. There's still some lingering odor where it was and I want to get it out but not pull out all the dye.

Any tips/redirects would be much appreciated.Thanks!

hoodyear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next up I tried dabbing/scrubbing with a damp cloth. This got most of the smell and all visible gunk out but sucked out a LOT of the dye, leaving me with a random blue spot on my dark jeans :(.
In the future just dab, don't scrub. Freezing them should get rid of whatever smell is left. Or just febreze them.

Last edited:

masshi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Clarks not make their desert boot in beeswax in a lighter shade of brown anymore?

http://i.imgur.com/L7zd2Vc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/60wdrMR.jpg

Pair on the left is a pair I just got in today, and on the right is a pair I got in August of last year (pair on the right is a half size too big and I wanted to get a truer fit 'cause I think that'll make them wear in better or something, lol).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads