1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mfais, Jan 22, 2010.

1. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

You need confidence to wear cuban heels, otherwise you might look like someone trying to increase his height. On the other hand, you might look like a mod, rock star or flamenco dancer; none are particularly bad looks.

2. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Cuban heels are cool by themselves, but I'd guess that 8 or 9 out of 10 people who try to wear them fail miserably.
    The two examples you posted are both awful

3. fwwilkes

fwwilkes Active Member

Bump? Nothing

4. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

What's the right way to wear them? I'm 5'7". Should I avoid them altogether?

5. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Senior member

What can I do to pull this outfit together a bit more? I took a new job and I'm going from the office to visiting manufacturing sites but would like to maintain my "dapper" persona so to speak. It's been a while since I've had to do the casual thing... I'll pretty much be wearing denim (Levi's 541 or 508's), real workboots (Redwing 2233) and a casual shirt (oxford button downs, pullovers, polos). Also a recommendation on a very lightweight, unlined/minimal lined jacket that would work would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  6. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

I don't like the oxford tucked into the jeans thing. If you have workboots and jeans you are already going for the kind of blue collar style. My suggestion would be to get some thicker, textured fabric on your top half, like flannels or chambray or twill. For example I would like that outfit a lot more with something like this or this worn untucked.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  7. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

Looking for a black collared moto (similar to the TOJ one) in a similar price point.

Any recommendations? Thanks

[​IMG]

8. styleforumfan

styleforumfan Senior member

Any thoughts on clothes from J Crew in general? Are they really worth the asking prices?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Overpriced unless you get it on sale.

10. Randy Brooks

Randy Brooks Senior member

So you don't think I can avoid or at least tone down the blue collar/workwear look? Because that's really what I'm trying to avoid as it's not my job (or my style). At all. Going untucked probably isn't going to happen as some sites have a safety policy against untucked shirts/loose clothing and ties in machining areas. I'm really struggling with this right now.

11. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

Anyone with any thoughts or experience with some of the newer moderately priced denim offerings from bravestar, red cotton, deep pocket Jean co, etc. I know there are a lot of gustin fans, and there are lawless threads, but interested in a straight not skinny pair without a three month lag time

Thanks

12. BrooksLauren77

Nothing wrong with an OCBD and jeans, classic preppy look. What do your co-workers wear in the office? Don't worry about what you wear to the work sites, safety first. Get a pair of steel toed boots from Chippewa.

13. BrooksLauren77

They're something you need an attitude/air of not caring what others think of you and what you wear. It's also dependent on the circles you/one runs in.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  14. DrizztD

DrizztD Well-Known Member

Need shopping advice Re: Jeans.

I'll be in Tokyo in March, and i would love to pick up a pair of good classic indigo jeans. Given my knowledge of japanese jeans (nil), i'm planning on shopping at the renowned Isetan at Shinjuku.

My budget is right around 200 USD.

Can anyone point me to certain brands i should zoom in on?

15. stylenoob718

stylenoob718 Well-Known Member

16. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Is there a particular reason you want a breton-style shirt made of silk? That style is extremely common and there are tons of them every year when the warmer seasons role around. They're traditionally made of cotton, the original french naval shirts were made of a particularly rough and dense cotton.

I have a hunch one of the Ralph Lauren labels would make a breton shirt in a more luxurious fabric. Possibly black or purple label. It might retail at a similar price point as the one you posted but I imagine it will be a lot easier to procure it on sale than the Saint Laurent one you posted.

1 person likes this.
  17. Usernamous

Usernamous Member

How can I alter/sew/cut the neck line of a raw-edge t-shirt to make it less scoopy and more crew neck? I mean that the neck hole is smaller. I bought some tees from voidthebrand and the j-shape neck fits perfectly but another one feels just a little too big, too scoopy for me which I don't think looks good on me. Is it even possible? Do I have to let a tailor do it for me?
    Can I remove a bit of back fabric to make the neck line constrict more?

Illustration of method above: http://imgur.com/QEcbDrm . See how the neck hole is smaller in the second pic becauuse part of the neck line was removed

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  18. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

How come buyers from the US can deduct taxes when buying stuff from EU but not the other way round? It's not fair, is it.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Because WW2.

Do you mean VAT? Because that's how it was set up. European residents pay VAT, and (theoretically, anyway) reap the benefits because the revenues flow back to their governments. The U.S. is not part of the system, so it gets neither the benefits nor the costs.

1 person likes this.
  20. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Move to the US.