• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Now, imagine you have just one room for both drinking coffee, watching TV, snacking, and drinking.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Our art books go on the Sapien shelves in the living room and entry. The coffee table is where books we're half-reading usually end up until we finish , and also where the latest copies of magazines accumulate. I've noticed that the smuttier something is, the more likely it is to get perused. Us Weekly is a favorite, especially among the art crowd who I believe get off on the taboo.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SH is a dick. I'm not sure what more there is to say about things. I attempted, on multiple occasions, to engage his commentary--as pejorative and insensible as it has been. I let him insult me again and again. So, ultimately, I call it as I see it.

Well, in that case, you forget to mention that he has a small penis. In for a penny, in for a pound, they say.

If you think that rubbish amounts to a "theory," then there is little hope of discussing this meaningfully with you. Aside from the specious reasoning, he makes startlingly biased assumptions to reach his conclusions.

Let me stop you right there. I see what he is getting at. You do not. It is as logically cohesive insofar as a theory about these sorts of things can be. For an attorney, you have a puzzling and oft-demonstrated inability to get inside the arguments of others. I hope you are sticking strictly to transactional work. If you are ever the lead in a contested matter, you are going to get your head handed to you and you will never know why.

I agree, however, that there is little hope of discussing this meaningfully with you. Nonetheless, hope springs eternal so I will have a go at translating Stephen's theory of interior design into SF-relevant terms. I am sure that Stephen will be happy to come along and tell me to **** off if I am too far wrong or if the analogy is too forced.

Sprezzatura is considered a desirable quality on SF. But true sprezzatura is a function of actually living in your clothes. For example, I have some shirts with double-button cuffs. One of my watches is too big to wear with these shirts so I leave one of the buttons on the cuff unbuttoned. It has become something of a habit so I often leave that button undone without thinking about it even if I am not wearing that particular watch.

Forced sprezzatura is much worse than none e.g. wearing french cuffs without cufflinks. It reeks of try-too-hard and makes you look like a clueless poseur. This is the problem with the interior that Stephen analyzed. It is a series of arch, studied flourishes which are completely inauthentic.

He doesn't like your living room because it is, from his perspective, a random collection of studied flourishes, albeit not as twee as the one he dissected.

Now you can agree with his theory or not. There are certainly other ways to think about interior design. But to claim that his theory is disingenuous rubbish says a lot more about you than it does about him.

I will even go out on a limb and suggest something that I suspect Stephen would agree fits in with his theory. Suppose that you used your coffee table as a display for the One Shoe. Imagine five pairs of perfectly matched, beautiful One Shoes glistening gently in their own display case in the middle of your living room. In effect, your coffee table would become an art installation on multiple levels. God knows it would be authentic and would make for one hell of a conversation piece if nothing else.

I am sure this will draw the usual 2000 word point-by-point rebuttal explaining in detail why no one except Foo understands anything at all.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Now, imagine you have just one room for both drinking coffee, watching TV, snacking, and drinking.

Easy, I would determine it depending on how the room is laid out. My sitting room is conductive to a coffee table, I could do without that room if need be, eliminating the need for a coffee table.

Funny enough I think this thread has offered great insight to everyone except for foo. I really appreciate Fuuma's postings, and while SH has previously eluded to his ideas on interior design, it was better fleshed out here. Too easy to become too studied.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

do you ever get out of bed?

When I do, it's a quick roll on the ground from the living room, through the kitchen, into our study, through our foyer, past our dining room, and into the living room, where I do all the things I mentioned. In fact, when rolling along, one often finds he is going through three or four of the above all at once.

How is that for honest living?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i like a nice, eclectic mix of coffee table books.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree, however, that there is little hope of discussing this meaningfully with you. Nonetheless, hope springs eternal so I will have a go at translating Stephen's theory of interior design into SF-relevant terms. I am sure that Stephen will be happy to come along and tell me to **** off if I am too far wrong or if the analogy is too forced.

Sprezzatura is considered a desirable quality on SF. But true sprezzatura is a function of actually living in your clothes. For example, I have some shirts with double-button cuffs. One of my watches is too big to wear with these shirts so I leave one of the buttons on the cuff unbuttoned. It has become something of a habit so I often leave that button undone without thinking about it even if I am not wearing that particular watch.

Forced sprezzatura is much worse than none e.g. wearing french cuffs without cufflinks. It reeks of try-too-hard and makes you look like a clueless poseur. This is the problem with the interior that Stephen analyzed. It is a series of arch, studied flourishes which are completely inauthentic.

He doesn't like your living room because it is, from his perspective, a random collection of studied flourishes, albeit not as twee as the one he dissected.

Now you can agree with his theory or not. There are certainly other ways to think about interior design. But to claim that his theory is disingenuous rubbish says a lot more about you than it does about him.

I will even go out on a limb and suggest something that I suspect Stephen would agree fits in with his theory. Suppose that you used your coffee table as a display for the One Shoe. Imagine five pairs of perfectly matched, beautiful One Shoes glistening gently in their own display case in the middle of your living room. In effect, your coffee table would become an art installation on multiple levels. God knows it would be authentic and would make for one hell of a conversation piece if nothing else.

I am sure this will draw the usual 2000 word point-by-point rebuttal explaining in detail why no one except Foo understands anything at all.

Why are you such a *****? Actually, I stopped reading as soon as you mentioned sprezzatura and began discussing it seriously. Jeezus. Evidently, I am just too advanced for you.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

i like a nice, eclectic mix of coffee table books.

Swinging too hard at the joke. Not honest living. When I get home I'll try to remember to take a photo of the latest New Criterion sitting next to a magazine with the headline "Michele Obama's Arms! Wow!"

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Swinging too hard at the joke. When I get home I'll try to remember to take a photo of the latest New Criterion sitting next to a magazine with the headline "Michele Obama's Arms! Wow!"

i'm pretty sure my arms are a little bit nicer thanks to that Phaidon book. Our official "book" is New York Magazine on top of an HP laptop.

The Muji desk gets the Mac. No room for an HP.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your coffee table offers poo insight.

My relatives, who are staying with us this week, have taken up residence in everyone of the chairs I enjoy with exception to three. This is exasperating. I know this offers nothing to this thread, just needed to vent.

Last edited:

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

Why are you such a *****? Actually, I stopped reading as soon as you mentioned sprezzatura and began discussing it seriously. Jeezus. Evidently, I am just too advanced for you.

This is the point in the thread in which we transition from what is inside Foo's ****** apartment to who the **** would ever want to go inside Foo's ****** apartment.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's still on what **** to put in his ****** apartment aside from books on poo that he would like to borrow from gnome.

Last edited:

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why are you such a *****?

Hormones. You know how it is.

Actually, I stopped reading as soon as you mentioned sprezzatura and began discussing it seriously. Jeezus. Evidently, I am just too advanced for you.

Yes, Foo, that must be it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads