• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMT1

Reaction score

$117? Are they less expensive in the store than they are online?

The Silver Sands outlet mall where the Destin store is located offers a 20% coupon off any purchase in any store in their location, but AE will understandably balk at trying to use this on stuff like first quality shell shoes, etc.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Silver Sands outlet mall where the Destin store is located offers a 20% coupon off any purchase in any store in their location, but AE will understandably balk at trying to use this on stuff like first quality shell shoes, etc.

Wouldn't that 20% discount be paid for by the mall and not AE?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No clue - I know I don't pay it, which is what matters.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

My understanding is that in addition to rent, malls collect a percentage of sales from their tenants. If the mall is offering the coupon, its to increase traffic to the mall in hopes of increasing overall sales. Like when Walmart sells a DVD player for a small loss because they know (on average) they will more than make it up on other stuff people buy when they go for that DVD player.

If this is the case its not costing AE anything. They sell you say a Shell Dalton, then they get that 20% back from the mall.

And yes,
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

CMT1

Reaction score
Makes sense. I'd think the mall would have a cost cap of some sort so that people couldn't start running up a huge AE shell discount bill on them, but then again the number of people inclined to take advantage of it would seem low. Who knows.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could it be that when Paul said "leather change," he only meant color?

If not, I'd be interested in a MacNeil with Dublin for an extra $40. And Dainite. Basically a LWB McTavish

Dd1101

Reaction score
Destin dude for the win!!! Tom, Paul, and John have always been really helpful.

$117 McGregor closeout/seconds.

This is my first pair of longwings, and in one of my favorite colors. The obvious caveat with AE bourbon seconds is that the finish can be streaky, but I was able to inspect these in person before picking them up from the Destin factory store. Everyone has their favorite SAs, and the Destin dudes are mine - Its always great to see those guys and the price was definitely right!

My pair of bourbon Strands are over two years old and have seen a lot of wear, and a lot of AE bourbon polish and later the neutral polish to maintain them. I always wondered if it changed their color at all.

The Strands were hit with some light VSC a few months ago and the McGregors have yet to see product. Both were well brushed for the pics. The bourbons seem very similar, although I suspect a bit of burnishing has been removed from the Strands from being polished over time.

I don't know why it took me so long to pick up a pair of longwings. Perhaps the sleek look of the McGregor on the 5 Last compared to the clunkier aesthetic of other gunboats, coupled with their compelling price is what finally caved me in. I have already worn them three times and I loved the look with grey slacks and a blue sport coat.

One thing I did find interesting is that, while I have always been an 11.5D in the 5 Last, the McGregors fit me best in 11D. This goes along with the feeling that my other 11.5D Strands/Cambridge/PAs have been feeling loose lately, and I'm wondering if seriously ramping up my running over the past 6 months has anything to do with it. Very strange - If getting in better shape means I can no longer wear my shells, I'm going back to the couch.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday, as always!

FaRKle

Reaction score
Could it be that when Paul said "leather change," he only meant color?

If not, I'd be interested in a MacNeil with Dublin for an extra $40. And Dainite. Basically a LWB McTavish

I think it'd be $125 on top of the $395 base price for the MacNeils if it turns out you can change the leather to Dublin.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it'd be $125 on top of the $395 base price for the MacNeils if it turns out you can change the leather to Dublin.

You may be right but I thought someone had posted certain changes were $40 each. I know last year I changed the sole for my Heritage and that was only $40.

If would be helpful if the information was on their site and "official."

Shazb0t

Reaction score
I've been wearing Strands in 8.5E. They're a little on the loose side so I've been trying on some different length/width combos before I pick up some Park Aves, also on the 65 last. I've tried:

8E slightly too tight on forefoot
8EEE little loose all around
8.5D too tight on forefoot

The store didn't have any 8EE for me to try. How similar do you guys think an 8EE would be to my current 8.5E Strands?

Last edited:

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You may be right but I thought someone had posted certain changes were $40 each. I know last year I changed the sole for my Heritage and that was only $40.

If would be helpful if the information was on their site and "official."

Agree with this. If in fact AE allows changes , it should be on the website with the price for each change.
I'd love to get their Dundee in natural chrome cel and dainite sole

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing Strands in 8.5E. They're a little on the loose side so I've been trying on some different length/width combos before I pick up some Park Aves, also on the 65 last. I've tried:

8E slightly too tight on forefoot
8EEE little loose all around
8.5D too tight on forefoot

The store didn't have any 8EE for me to try. How similar do you guys think an 8EE would be to my current 8.5E Strands?

If your not that far off, You could try a couple more 8E's or 8.5D's at the risk of annoying the SA. What I mean is you could try on 3 pairs of PA's in the same size and find that one fits better than the others. It happens on occasion. From what you discribed, I think going to 8EE is going to feel loose after break-in.

BespokeBrooklyn

Reaction score
I just pulled the trigger on my first pair of shell cordovan shoes -- $297 Kenwoods. It was them or brown calf Patriots + pebble grain Dundees. Will post photos once they arrive.

whodey14

Reaction score

Leeds, brown country grain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads