Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

Where can I find that on the website?

Or does that not start until tomorrow?

2. SLCRich

SLCRich Senior member

Starting my Saturday off with a little suede
    [​IMG]

3. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Won't be up till tomorrow. This was a preview for my Style forum friends.

4. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Thank you for posting! I asked the WC store and Alison and both confirmed that no shell cornys for me.... Is there a mis communication? I hate to email Paul about something so stupid.

5. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So I just spoke with Brooks Brothers customer service about the linen Carlyles in 12 EEE. After speaking with a manager, they confirmed that they can't order in non-D widths. Any suggestions?

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's not stupid! You're a loyal customer and want to be able to buy something that he said was available. I'm sure the rest of the chaps here would appreciate the clarification.

Paul's a really great guy, and does his best to make himself available to customers.

Also, no one doubts his genuine passion for his company and product, but it's also his job to maximize efficiencies, which is where some of the decisions we disagree with have stemmed from.

7. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

$117 McGregor closeout/seconds.

This is my first pair of longwings, and in one of my favorite colors. The obvious caveat with AE bourbon seconds is that the finish can be streaky, but I was able to inspect these in person before picking them up from the Destin factory store. Everyone has their favorite SAs, and the Destin dudes are mine - Its always great to see those guys and the price was definitely right!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My pair of bourbon Strands are over two years old and have seen a lot of wear, and a lot of AE bourbon polish and later the neutral polish to maintain them. I always wondered if it changed their color at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Strands were hit with some light VSC a few months ago and the McGregors have yet to see product. Both were well brushed for the pics. The bourbons seem very similar, although I suspect a bit of burnishing has been removed from the Strands from being polished over time.

I don't know why it took me so long to pick up a pair of longwings. Perhaps the sleek look of the McGregor on the 5 Last compared to the clunkier aesthetic of other gunboats, coupled with their compelling price is what finally caved me in. I have already worn them three times and I loved the look with grey slacks and a blue sport coat.

One thing I did find interesting is that, while I have always been an 11.5D in the 5 Last, the McGregors fit me best in 11D. This goes along with the feeling that my other 11.5D Strands/Cambridge/PAs have been feeling loose lately, and I'm wondering if seriously ramping up my running over the past 6 months has anything to do with it. Very strange - If getting in better shape means I can no longer wear my shells, I'm going back to the couch.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday, as always!

8. Oinkedmoo

Oinkedmoo Well-Known Member

Still experimenting with polish/wax/creams on my bourbon Lexingtons.

It's been really rainy out east these last few months and most of the original black burnish had worn off (these are my beater shoes). I decided to use very light coats of dark brown shoe cream, the goopy stuff.

Latest picture
    [​IMG]

Back in February
    [​IMG]

Shoe cream
    [​IMG]

9. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Both of those look fabulous! Lucky find on the McGregors.

10. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

They look great for beater shoes, at least to my eye. I have a few pairs of the rubber-soled AE line that serve the same duty.

As far as preserving the color, I'm no shoe care expert by a long shot, and I honestly thought that there would be a visible difference between my old and new pair of bourbon shoes given how much product and process I have into the Strands. When I pulled both pairs out into the light I was amazed at how little difference there actually was between the two.

Thanks Dan! Very happy with them. :fistbump:

Last edited: May 21, 2016

11. whodey14

whodey14 Senior member

I really like both the strands and mcgregor. I would really like to get either, I'm missing bourbon.

12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

If as was quoted previously is true: "Paul said that the retailer can order whatever sizes AE offers, so for instance if you wanted an E-width Madison Park from Nordstrom, or <size 8 Brooks Brothers' Tartan Shaker Heights, AE will happily make it if your Nordstrom/BB sales associate puts in the order.", seems like its more they WON'T instead of can't. You're battling through an extra layer of bureaucracy.

13. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

$117? Are they less expensive in the store than they are online?

14. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Quote:
    Interesting. Emailing Paul (goes to his assistant I believe) may be the avenue you have to take. I also visited my usual SA in SF yesterday and when I told him what the WC store was telling people about not being able to do shell in the 1943 last he said that he wasn't aware of that and was sure that they could.

I'm with @ace13x . The limitation is probably coming from BB, not AE. They probably don't want to do a custom order for you rather than AE won't do it for BB.

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

In conjunction with the accountability aspect of quality control, the way I see it is this:

If AE wants to BOTH crank out upwards of 2000 shoes/day AND have an MTO program, they need two types of workers. Ones who crank out Walnut Strands all day, every day and is happy doing it; and ones that can handle working on products that require extra attention to detail and extra craftsmanship. If there is accountability for the former, then they have a way to potentially staff the latter. Those who excel could, if they choose, receive extra training to try and move up to the MTO dept with appropriate bump in pay.

But thats me, I know nothing about running a corporation.

What I would like to know is why AE doesn't do more GMTO's or partner with smaller retailers on custom runs? Making a run of a couple dozen custom, but identical, shoes for a GTMO should be easier than a couple dozen random custom shoes. It would be sort of like the Webgems they do, but with the design aspects outsourced.

Edit: Also while the MTO power users are more likely to complain, they are also more likely to be zealots and evangelist for AE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.