• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I brag? I picked up these Oxblood Strands yesterday with my McAllisters and they are quite possibly my favorite shoe in my wardrobe.

Under this lighting I'm afraid these are far from a match. Not only is the shade different but I don't see the exotic leather as being even remotely in the same family as the brogue stylistically. The bourbon strand is an awesome shoe, I wish I had gotten a pair. Just noticing, it looks like you have some slight tiger striping on the vamp, which does not look bad in my opinion.
One more picture....
I didn't have a belt that matched my bourbon Strands quite as well as I wanted. I found this belt by Torino online and thought it might work. It arrived this week and I'd say it's a pretty good match.

I too, am (obviously) a fan of the brown Norwich. I returned like three pairs of them in disappointment after a horrible fitting experience. The suede Strand is an underrated casual option.
Changing topics:
February was a crazy month. I hadn't planned it, but somehow ended up purchasing five pairs.

Edit: I blame you all. You filthy barn weasels.

Last edited:

redmusic1

Reaction score
Merlot Sanfords for a throwback Friday. I'm unsure if AE named them after Fred or Lamont.

Lamont had his own model.

Beat me to it. I was going to say that since JAB had this design and called it Lamont, I would assume it was named after him.

Seriously though, I've wanted that shoe for a while, but I've yet to find a decent pair in my size.

nbj08

Reaction score
Thanks all for the interest in the cordovan Daltons!

I was also going to list on eBay a pair of new and unworn dark brown Strands size 10.5D. These have a leather sole, and I've replaced them with a dainite sole version.

Since the Daltons got a lot of interest, I'll post the Strands here too:

Let me know if you have questions!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On another note, I'll be selling the following if anyone is interested:
Navy Cordovan Dundee 7EE 511-last 1st quality gently worn
Natural Brown Cordovan Dundee 7EE 511-last 1st quality gently worn

Brown Cordovan Bayfield 7EE 511-last 1st quality gently worn
Green Cordovan Strand 6.5EEE 65-last 1st quality gently worn
Brown Cordovan Jefferson 6.5EEE 65-last 2nd quality gently worn
Natural Brown Cordovan First Avenue Boot 6.5EEE 65-last 1st quality unworn

Thanks for reading!

Damn my size 8 feet. I sure hope these don't go to some unworthy shoe heathen.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Toes are overrated, just sayin'

Hmmm..., I suppose I could shave a little off the top. Its only a third of an inch. Its probably too late to start foot-binding.

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

Reaction score
I always check Allen Edmonds clearance after reading this thread. Today I bought an Ascher in bourbon and McGreggor in Walnut burnish for $350 total.

I have an AE in town so they are going back if they are not perfect! While on the subject I've had several less than stellar experiences with buying 2nds. Sticking to 1sts now.

22busy

Reaction score

The Freiburg just popped up on the bank in what I believe to be my size.  Does anyone know how close the fit is to the Rogue?

I don't have the Rogues, but I did just receive my Thomastowns today, a blucher on the 201 last. They fit me perfectly with dress socks. I received the Freiburgs yesterday. They are also a perfect fit with crew socks. They are a tad roomy with dress socks.

I think I may have a new favorite last. I haven't tried a bal yet, but so far they fit the ball width nicely, and are accommodating to my instep. Not too tight. They didn't seem any longer to me than the Strand. Just roomier in the front. The heel width is just right.

I may have to explore other shoes on this last. Off to start shopping for my next one...

cegusa

Reaction score

Just got my first AE Park Avenue. Usually, the first thing I would do before wearing leather soled shoes is to put on the TOPY protector. However, the sales lady at my store (not AE store) suggested I wear the AE for at least 3 months before putting TOPY on. So when is the best time to install TOPY actually? 

I always have the sole protector installed before I wear them the first time. Provides a nice clean and even surface for them to adhere to. The cobbler sands them a bit to prove a slightly pours for the adhesive to bite into. Vibram makes a very nice thin version that has a slight taper near the back of the sole protector which makes for a very nice transition to where it's ends and meets the leather sole.

billikenman

Reaction score

Received my dainite Daltons last night. Here's a side by side shot with Long Branch in case anyone else was curious. The dainite sole really is unnoticeable from the side, unlike a lug sole. With the clearance price these ended up being the exact same as the LBs I had bought during an RDA sale. Funny observation, the inside sole of the Daltons says 'Bleeker street,' anyone else come across an error like this before? I guess it wasn't enough to make them seconds. They look great, but man they squeak like crazy!
Thanks for posting this. I just ordered a pair of walnut Daltons off of shoebank in dainite in 10B, and after I placed the order I realized I'd never clarified the color of dainite. I was half expecting to wind up with something like orange or red, which is totally not how I intend to wear my Daltons...

BL70

Reaction score
I don't think there's an option. All the dainite are black as far as I know.

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered a pair of walnut Daltons off of shoebank in dainite in 10B, and after I placed the order I realized I'd never clarified the color of dainite. I was half expecting to wind up with something like orange or red, which is totally not how I intend to wear my Daltons...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads