1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Another great observation that I too had noticed..to my eye, cognac is basically dark chili with more highlights

2. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

All,

has AE taken down the foot measuring guide from the website? I couldn't find it.
    I am trying to pick up a pair for my father and have the 3 measurements of his feet (h-to-t, h-to-b, w). I was hoping to use that guide to get his size (I am pretty certain with 2-3 different sizes I can nail it down on the 511 or 201)

With the AE sizing guide gone, I tried to search for actual size to brannock conversions. I was able to find the heel to toe formula (size *3 - 22), which correlates with the conversions given here, plus it also provides the width.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071017074837/www.geocities.com/handy_feet/shoesize.html

However, I couldn't find the formula for the heel to ball measurement. Does any one of you know this?

thanks!

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Count de Monet I hate to sound mean but id like to see the outcome of this be that retail B&M stores start closing down and that they basically do business through Nordstrom & the outlets. Hey, if the retail stores are losing so much money keeping a couple sizes, why keep them open at all by that logic? Unfortunately it takes something like that before the PE group's braintrust wakes up.

4. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

I can only agree with you that this is not great, being a 3E myself. Then again I live in Canada and have never tried an AE on in a brick and mortar store ever and I had to pay $40 (US!) shipping every time.

So rejoice! You get free shipping, and you don't pay an extra 40% or so on top and you aren't out an extra $1000+ for a few weeks if you try to save on shipping by ordering multiple sizes or lasts.</rant>

Did I mention that Harry Rosen and other stores that DO carry AE here never carried anything but D and they'd make you buy anything they ordered in?

5. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

All true and good advice. However, chicks dig walnut.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Those look good. And I agree - can't do 30 mins of brushing. Unless that much physical activity is bringing something out of the leather I can't imagine what all that brushing does. I haven't used VSC, but my experience with Bick4 is similar. Very likely any of these are going to be solvents for what's on top of the leather. My approach after reading some of the experts in the shoe care thread is to be a minimalist: damp cloth wipe down after every wear followed by a light brushing. I use a welt brush occasionally to keep them clean.

I don't condition my shoes regularly. I would use product of I wanted a shine. I generally don't. I will use cream as needed to cover scuffs. This is rare. And I get a nice looking satin finish on most of my shoes with a microfiber cloth after brushing. Very fast and very easy.

1 person likes this.
  7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Brushing for all that time really only works on pull up leathers such as cxl, dublin, and shell. These leathers are inpregnated with fats/oils that get worked to the surface and shine. Regular calf leather will not benefit from anything more than a few minutes of brushing. Just an fyi.

8. theplayerking

theplayerking Well-Known Member

Gentlemen:

I’m looking to get some double monks for Spring (my first foray into any type of monk). I’m interested in the Mora 2.0, but the online reviews (from a couple of years ago) are decidedly mixed, with complaints of awkward creasing and quality control issues. Have they improved? I have five other pairs of AEs that I’m happy with, but should I be concerned about this model?

9. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Public Service Announcement:
    Anyone who picked up a pair of recently discontinued bourbon color shoes might be interested in the return of the bourbon Dearborn belt in the AE clearance section.
    Once they're gone, they're gone.

1 person likes this.
  10. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I just went to check now. The product page listed my size, but when I clicked on it, it disappeared and said "This item is currently not available." What a bullshit tease.

Is there a decent alternative to go with bourbon shoes? Are the Yukon or Sun River close in color?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  11. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

How to make cheap shoe trees better (OT)

I've seen recent discussion of shoe tree sales (such as JAB trees) and thought I would share my modifications to such trees. While I strongly prefer Woodlore Epic trees, they are relatively expensive and I have plenty of JAB tres. To me, the big shortcoming of the JAB and basic woodlore models is the lack of a good handhold. To solve this, I simply added brass knobs to the cheap trees, which magnifies their utility substantially (especially for boots!). If you have a few basic tools, there's not much to get.

As pictured below, for each pair, you will need:
    - 2x Cabinet knobs (I like brass to match the nicer shoe trees)
    - 2x 8/32 screws, preferably brass, 1/2" in length (5/8 could potentially work but will be hard to get into place)
    - A tiny Phillips screwdriver (#0 or so) to remove the nameplate
    - An 11/64 drill bit and a driver (you probably could go up to 3/16 if absolutely necessary)
    - (Optional) small needlenose pliers
    [​IMG]

How to:
    1. Remove the existing nameplates.

2. Drill a hole on or near the screw hole closest to the front. Take care not to move too far back or you'll get into the area where the shoe tree curves, which means your screw won't be long enough.
    [​IMG]

3. Feed the screw through the hole from below. Pliers are not essential but will help, especially for those of us with robust fingers.
    [​IMG]

4. Hold the screw head in place with a finger and thread the knob on top.
    [​IMG]

5. Place trees in shoes.
    [​IMG]

That's it. It is pretty quick - I could probably do this for a dozen pairs in the time it will take me to write this post.

Of note, some of you may be tempted to buy a longer screw (2") and attach the knob near the back of a tree. I do not recommend this, for several reasons:
    - it's more complicated. You will have to drill a countersink and do some sanding. It's even worse if you want to avoid the wood on the bottom splintering.
    - it may get into the heel of the shoe (see below)
    - unless you go really far back on the tree, the spring mechanism is in the way

Trust me on this. If you don't believe me, post your skepticism and I'll take a photo of why this is a bad idea. The method outlined above puts the knob in a really handy place (especially for boots), and looks fine aesthetically:
    [​IMG]

That's it. Hope this is useful to all of the barn weasels - enjoy!

10 people like this.
  12. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Four notes on the above post:
    1. I did include some AE shoes for relevance. That's how I roll.
    2. If I can figure out how one does it, I'll cross-post in the shoe care thread. Any others I should target?
    3. Brass screws in this size are readily available at any hardware store or big-box home improvement store, typically about $1.20 for 6 pcs.
    3. If you don't want to shop for just the right knob, I used the cheapest brass knobs I could find on amazon (<$1 each). The specific ones I used are now like $5 each, but this would be pretty much the same thing: http://www.amazon.com/Amerock-BP191..._UL160_SR131,160_&refRID=0EZ3DF9N9FVFF59KRC1E - note this is an add-on item if you want free shipping (assumes amazon prime). If you get the knobs for this price, the total cost of modifying a pair of trees is <$2.50.

1 person likes this.
  13. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I have both the Dearborn in Bourbon and the Sun River. I would say that for most bourbon models, the Sun River is too casual.

15. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Gentlemen,

Does anyone have experience with AE Varno 1.0/2.0? Based on pics they appear to be similar to Leeds but with rubber soles and foam insole. I am a bit skeptical of the foam insole.

Thanks

16. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Try calling a regular retail store.
    They told me a week or two ago that there were still plenty of Dearborn and Manistee belts in the system and they could order one for me.

1 person likes this.
  17. harlequin782

Am I the only one who has noticed that, as a result of joining this thread, I now know more about AE shoes than the store associates themselves?...strange, and mildly annoying when you ask about a SA about their own product and they clearly don't even know the basics of what you're talking about.

2 people like this.
  18. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

It's funny and/or sad, yes? Biggest difference I have noticed is knowledge about lasts ...

19. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I don't think the printable foot measurement guide has been available since last Summer. When I first used it, I measured myself as a 13D, and I ended up buying 3 pairs of shoes that were all too wide. It wasn't until I went to an AE store and got measured on a Brannock scale that I found out I'm really like 13.5B. Perhaps you could take a ruler to a department store with a shoe section and figure it out that way?

20. harlequin782

Minimally funny and very sad in my opinion. For me, most of my SA's seem to have very little knowledge about lasts, and there seems to be a huge chasm in awareness of new models (especially if they're new online offers). I mean is it too much to ask of SA's to browse their own website maybe once a month to at least be informed of what the current promotions are?...

I mean, it never occurs to them to say "hey, my company is currently promoting this "new" sock less style everywhere in their marketing materials, so why don't I at least familiarize myself with those models so that when customers read our magazines or land on our splash page, or receive our email blasts promoting the "new" wave, and then come into the store to try them on, or look at them, I will at least have SOME semblance of an idea of what they're talking about when they get here." ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.