1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Burgundy Macneil (shell).

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@danwatts2005 I paid $77 for my Kirkwood firsts. No way at 175. For the Sea Island, the material might be spectacular but you have to take into consideration - nonrecraftable, DR.

2 people like this.
  3. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

That's true. I have both first Kirkwood and first Maritime, and seems like I got at least one on sale last year. I might have paid full price for the other. (Shhh) How did you get them for only $77? Clearance on a discontinued color???

That $295 price point is a non-starter for anything not recraftable.

4. eagleman

eagleman Senior member

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Strands. Walnut or Oxblood? I can't decide.

5. danwatts2005

Oxblood will be WAY more versatile.

6. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Not to mention, way sexier. Walnut is fine, but oxblood is the tits.

1 person likes this.
  7. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

They can still be recrafted by a regular cobbler, right?

8. danwatts2005

I think recrafting on that kind of construction is basically squirting in some Shoo-Goo, and waiting for it to dry.

9. danwatts2005

I think it's more like-- with Walnut, "Tits? Ok." With Oxblood, "Put it back there."

10. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

No, it doesn't.

11. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Decided to take some Bick 5 to a pair of bourbon Mora 2.0s and had a devastating outcome. The Bick stripped a ton of the finish, especially in one area on the inside of the shoe, which now looks like a quarter sized chunk of polish is missing. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm less upset about other areas where finish was stripped, but this spot is awful. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Well, I'd guess buying and applying some AE Bourbon polish would be a start.

I was only familiar with Bick 1 (cleaner) and Bick 4 - looks like 4 is a stronger version of 4.

What was your intent? Cleaning? Conditioning? What was the process/products you used (cloths, etc.)?

What you've got there doesn't look catastrophic at all, though there are much more knowledgeable people than me. I'm going to guess that a couple sessions with polish will solve that nicely.

13. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Yep, just routine cleaning. I've had good success with Bick 5 on several walnut pairs. It's a nice all in one solution without having to fuss with separate polish for a nice, quick refresh/condition of the leather. Anyway, I applied it with some microfiber cloth, same as I always do on my walnuts.

I'll pick up some bourbon polish.

14. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I used to own a company that made polish and wax for cars, and the learning process for that made me really dislike "one-step" products. There really aren't good shortcuts when it comes to stuff like that IMHO

In any case, good luck on the recovery - I think you'll be OK. Cheers!

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Lovely! Excellent choice! :D

16. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

17. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I can't imagine you'd need to go up a size just to wear socks. Is that your experience?

18. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Had similar devastation with my bourbon Daltons but was very pleased with the results of a few coats of black polish.

New, 2014:

[​IMG]

Did not take photo like yours, but, had a TSA agent wipe something on 2 quarter sized spots, and walnut was showing through there only.

So I tried black polish to simulate the burnishing, in 2016.

[​IMG]

They have darkened a bit, but the walnut spots are not apparent.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

Believe my intel to be credible as they had the pics and sale prices of the shoes. Saw no reason to doubt the dates that were quoted. (Though I was told they'd have to kill me if I shared. Probably a quicker death as compared to what the barn weasels would've had in store!)

20. Owlbass

Owlbass Active Member

I know this questions as been asked many times before but is there any news of a Short Wing Blucher being released? Paul Grangaard has mentioned it, in the past, but was wondering if there were any updates. I hope he wasn't referring to the LGA.

Thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.