• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airplane Etiquette

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
I also will take a Xanax if it is really bad and just sleep. That may sound extreme but I arrive comfortable while eveyone else is a mess.

Yessir! Same here. I fly back and forth to Japan once or twice a year and have found that a few Xanax make that trip go by, literally, like a dream.

WN2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I disagree entirely. Seats recline, and I'll use the recline. I'm very tall and sure that means reduced leg room for me, but that is the trade off. If someone tries to prevent me from reclining by kicking me, I will certainly be complaining to a flight attendant.

They recline because they are using the same seats in many configurations, and having non-reclining seats in some configurations. wouldn't be economical. Of course you can complain, but, hey, if I don't have enough room and my legs hit the seat in front of me when I move, what's the flight attendant going to do? Bwahahaha!

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok how do I get Xanax for the plane? Tell the doctor I get anxiety in the air (which I do)?

Mr T

Reaction score
I get a bit claustrophobic and must have the aisle seat. I am glad to be at an age and stage of my career where I can safely refuse a trip if I can't book an aisle (of course I will make up some other BS excuse to my employer). Several years ago I actually tried to sit by a window to force myself to get over this irrational fear. It lasted about 60 seconds before I started bargaining with those around me for an aisle seat.

My biggest complaint on airplanes is the state of dress. I actually witnessed a women on the plane once in her pajamas. And flipflops on a plane are just gross. I really don't want to keep breathing your recirculated foot oder please.

I also don't like fat people overflowing into my seat but those coach seats are so small how can one be upset? Kids kicking my seat? Babies crying? Hell, that just reminds me of home. No big deal. I typically just space out with a good book and plenty of airline wine and just hope for the best. As long as I am sitting in an aisle seat that is.
smile.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earplugs. Always.

I'm tall, but am uncomfortable when my shoulders are into the middle seat. Window is actually worse for this as the curve of the wall means less horizontal space.

I don't mind if people in front of me recline, but if they bounce or recline rudely, they don't get to recline for the rest of the flight.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Eh, planes suck (coach anyway). I don't think you can force "etiquette" when you bought it for $180.00 from a website pitched by William Shatner just to save a few bucks. What can you do other than make $300k a year and start flying first class?
Considering the prices of first class are often 15-20X at minimum the coach fare, I highly doubt 300K a year is going to get you into first class without a major stretch. When I was looking to go to the New Zealand fares were 14K round trip per person for first
frown.gif
, which is pretty close to what someone making 300K takes home for an entire month after taxes. I refuse to fly coach for that long a duration so I did not go. Now I know that 300K is not exactly "making bank", but how does anyone besides the "rich" afford it?

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Most of my travel is on the west coast so I almost always fly Southwest. I hear so many complaints regarding this airline but I've never have an issue. The seats have more room and the flights are reasonable. No first class on a regular business flight so there isn't any waiting around when boarding.

When I travel for business at least once a week the extra expense for first class just doesn't make any sense.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i dont mind some of the items above except for unnecessary luggage people take on and take all the cabinets above.

i dont mind crying babies as well, because what can they do? i try to put myself in the parents' shoes.

but what i dont like is when you sit in an aisle seat and the guy next to you has to constantly get up and go somewhere (not to the bathroom always) i mean, last time this guy for a 4 hour trip got up and i had to get up from my seat to let him by about 12 times.

You say that now about babies, but when the mom has 2 kids next to her and they're screaming and kicking the back of your seat all flight and she doesn't try and stop them, you'll be reaching for your plastic knife to perform a post-natal abortion.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
TSA needs to be completely overhauled. Most everyone at the top of that organization needs to be removed (tarred and feathered) from the org and better management with the balls to do what is necessary (instead of what looks like action) installed.

Word, TSA are horrible, horrible people. At worst, they raid and steal from your luggage without consequence, and bully people with their hall-monitor authority. At best, they're a nuisance to pass through.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I disagree entirely. Seats recline, and I'll use the recline. I'm very tall and sure that means reduced leg room for me, but that is the trade off. If someone tries to prevent me from reclining by kicking me, I will certainly be complaining to a flight attendant.

+1 If the seat has the capability of reclining people have a right to use it. Kicking a seat or using devices that prevent that are childish and will definately be cause for you to be tattled on.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I get on a plane about 20 times a month. what I hate are people who get in front of me and don't know what they are doing - if you don't know how to get on and off a plane, wait until people who do have gone by, and then go. if you don't know how to get through security or passport control, ditto. get out of my way, and we can all be happy.

I would use cell phones on planes if allowed, altough of course i would only use it the obsolute minimum I had to, and I would be polite and charming about it.

I recline my seat, and don't mind if others do so, what I hate is when they bounce up and down, or can't decide if they want to be up or down.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I fly regularly, including the occasional international flight.

Cell phone use on planes: No, many people can't seem to control the volume of their chatter.

Charging fat people: Yes, too many times I've had the misfortune of my seat space being invaded.

Carryon luggage: Yes, even on two-week trips abroad. I've had luggage lost. I pack light.

Similar to pocketsquareguy, I'm very anti-social on the plane. I either sleep or read while completely ignoring the people next to me. I don't want to talk.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
...Charging fat people: Yes, too many times I've had the misfortune of my seat space being invaded...
How does this result in a practical improvement?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
I usually just keep kicking the seat until the person in front of me realises his mistake. Even if the seats technically can be reclined, in the cargo class which us poor people are forced to fly, it is something that just shouldn't be done.

I recline my seat. I don't ask. If you can't fly when the guy in front of you reclines his seat, perhaps you should be flying first class.

Your comment about kicking makes me wonder if you are the guy on the Denver to LaGuardia flight two months ago that kept kicking my seat and that I subsequently (by accident, of course) spilled my drink on. If so, I hope you were able to get the tomato juice stains out of that white shirt you were wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads