• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
But PAM254 is a table clock not a wall clock. Wasn't there a wall clock with just the dial in the porthole (PAM174 or PAM255? not sure...)

I agree the prices are stupid for a battery operated clock !!

I'd much rather save $$$ and get an Atmos - these things are truly fascinating

My mistake. The 254 is desk clock. I think you can just take the clock part out of the mount though and turn it into a wall clock.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
But PAM254 is a table clock not a wall clock. Wasn't there a wall clock with just the dial in the porthole (PAM174 or PAM255? not sure...)

I agree the prices are stupid for a battery operated clock !!

I'd much rather save $$$ and get an Atmos - these things are truly fascinating

Agree - the Atmos is stunning. A friend bought one recently - I'm green with envy but I really can't justify spending $6K on a table clock.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Agree - the Atmos is stunning. A friend bought one recently - I'm green with envy but I really can't justify spending $6K on a table clock.
You can often get second-hand ones in good condition for between $1 and 2K. They are quite fragile, so condition should be checked thoroughly. The grail-Atmoses are the very early thirties ones, particularly the ones made by Reutter, before Jaeger came into the picture.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I know next to nothing about timepieces.

This week, I noticed that my assistant was wearing a Rolex and I asked him about it. He said that it was a Submariner that he purchased for $300 in NYC ( a Chinese-run place near Mulberry and Canal, he said).

The movement of the second had was smooth, so it could have been a mechanical movement. Then again, it could have just as likely been an electric movement.

Are such deals available on legitimate Rolexes? I usually follow the rule that if it sounds too good to be true than it inevitably is.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
I will admit that I know next to nothing about timepieces.

This week, I noticed that my assistant was wearing a Rolex and I asked him about it. He said that it was a Submariner that he purchased for $300 in NYC ( a Chinese-run place near Mulberry and Canal, he said).

The movement of the second had was smooth, so it could have been a mechanical movement. Then again, it could have just as likely been an electric movement.

Are such deals available on legitimate Rolexes? I usually follow the rule that if it sounds too good to be true than it inevitably is.

I will sell you my Mercedes-Benz 300SL for $25,000.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ld111134
Submariner+Chinese place+Canal St+$300 Are you serious? It's fake.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Girard-Perregaux has one which is very nice.
Where you refering to this? Without the actual TC funtions i find it to bussy, if on the other hand it had those it would be nice.
20070525gp184ag9.jpg
I was actualy hoping more for something like the chopard milleMiglia Or a nice GMT (no ROLEX) but the Seiko Grand or the chopard luc pro one GMT. Yes im stil talking wall clocks. 2 timezones would be nice. Have also considered the Junghans MAX BILL with radio"funk" control (IE radio tower control) like this one http://www.nova68.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=142

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Definitely not that one. That looks like it belongs in a watch store. The GP one I have seen is very subtle - plain off-white dial, with blue hands and GP written in blue.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely not that one. That looks like it belongs in a watch store. The GP one I have seen is very subtle - plain off-white dial, with blue hands and GP written in blue.
I did not think so, I thought it was somewat out of your liking. But could you please indicate where you found it? If nessesary you can also PM

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
I did not think so, I thought it was somewat out of your liking.
But could you please indicate where you found it?
If nessesary you can also PM

speedster,

Sorry, but I saw it in a office once, so I'm unsure how you could go about purchasing it. It may be worthwhile lobbing in a call to a GP dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads