The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The version without the big PANERAI writing is the PAM00254. Those things are absurdly expensive for what they are. They run about $1800.

PAM00254

But PAM254 is a table clock not a wall clock. Wasn't there a wall clock with just the dial in the porthole (PAM174 or PAM255? not sure...)

I agree the prices are stupid for a battery operated clock !!

I'd much rather save $$$ and get an Atmos - these things are truly fascinating

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

But PAM254 is a table clock not a wall clock. Wasn't there a wall clock with just the dial in the porthole (PAM174 or PAM255? not sure...)

My mistake. The 254 is desk clock. I think you can just take the clock part out of the mount though and turn it into a wall clock.

3. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Agree - the Atmos is stunning. A friend bought one recently - I'm green with envy but I really can't justify spending $6K on a table clock.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Agree - the Atmos is stunning. A friend bought one recently - I'm green with envy but I really can't justify spending $6K on a table clock.
    You can often get second-hand ones in good condition for between $1 and 2K. They are quite fragile, so condition should be checked thoroughly. The grail-Atmoses are the very early thirties ones, particularly the ones made by Reutter, before Jaeger came into the picture.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I often see Atmos clock for about $800. They are quite attractive clocks, particularly the '50s ones.

6. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

I will admit that I know next to nothing about timepieces.

This week, I noticed that my assistant was wearing a Rolex and I asked him about it. He said that it was a Submariner that he purchased for $300 in NYC ( a Chinese-run place near Mulberry and Canal, he said).

The movement of the second had was smooth, so it could have been a mechanical movement. Then again, it could have just as likely been an electric movement.

Are such deals available on legitimate Rolexes? I usually follow the rule that if it sounds too good to be true than it inevitably is.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I will admit that I know next to nothing about timepieces.

This week, I noticed that my assistant was wearing a Rolex and I asked him about it. He said that it was a Submariner that he purchased for $300 in NYC ( a Chinese-run place near Mulberry and Canal, he said).

The movement of the second had was smooth, so it could have been a mechanical movement. Then again, it could have just as likely been an electric movement.

Are such deals available on legitimate Rolexes? I usually follow the rule that if it sounds too good to be true than it inevitably is.

I will sell you my Mercedes-Benz 300SL for $25,000.

8. Lucky Strike

Submariner+Chinese place+Canal St+$300 Are you serious? It's fake.

9. Lucky Strike

10. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Girard-Perregaux has one which is very nice.
    Where you refering to this? Without the actual TC funtions i find it to bussy, if on the other hand it had those it would be nice. [​IMG] I was actualy hoping more for something like the chopard milleMiglia Or a nice GMT (no ROLEX) but the Seiko Grand or the chopard luc pro one GMT. Yes im stil talking wall clocks. 2 timezones would be nice. Have also considered the Junghans MAX BILL with radio"funk" control (IE radio tower control) like this one http://www.nova68.com/Merchant2/merc...egory_Code=142

11. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

I will sell you my Mercedes-Benz 300SL for $25,000.

I'll lift your offer [​IMG]

12. Eustace Tilley

Definitely not that one. That looks like it belongs in a watch store. The GP one I have seen is very subtle - plain off-white dial, with blue hands and GP written in blue.

13. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Definitely not that one. That looks like it belongs in a watch store. The GP one I have seen is very subtle - plain off-white dial, with blue hands and GP written in blue.
    I did not think so, I thought it was somewat out of your liking. But could you please indicate where you found it? If nessesary you can also PM

14. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

15. Eustace Tilley

I did not think so, I thought it was somewat out of your liking.
    But could you please indicate where you found it?
    If nessesary you can also PM

speedster,

Sorry, but I saw it in a office once, so I'm unsure how you could go about purchasing it. It may be worthwhile lobbing in a call to a GP dealer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.