• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much student debt did/will you graduate with?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder how many students take out loans and use them for **** like going on Spring Break. How much oversight (if any) is there re: where the money goes?

Sorry if this seems naive, I've never dealt with loans.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlhuber
I've eliminated all my debt, due to hard work and the exceptionally generous help of my loved ones. My wife is running about $10,000.

I've been thinking and I hope you guys can help me in this, that one of the best investments a person can make, for long time return, is to first pay down debt. Her loans are at about 7.5-8.5% - which is pretty high compared to most other investment goals for pure profit. So I'm currently of the opinion that we should use extra finances to get rid of her college debt before we do things like buy stock, etc.

Thoughts?

Can't you roll things over with Sallie Mae? I mean, I think you're correct for your situation, but out of my original 74k in student loans I have about 58k left. I amortized the 74k over 30 years. I started at 2.85% and after paying on time for the first three years, my rate fell to 1.85%. I could writet a check for the balance but IMO that would be stupid. At 1.85%, that is just about free money and when the cost of capital is that low, I plan to never pay that sucker off early.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I wonder how many students take out loans and use them for **** like going on Spring Break. How much oversight (if any) is there re: where the money goes?

Sorry if this seems naive, I've never dealt with loans.

You need to sever financial ties with your parents and become your own man.

Droog

Reaction score
$0 for undergrad, courtesy of parents, and $0 for postgraduate due to fellowship. Both children also $0 since we started saving when they were born (tough to do sometimes, but my wife and I managed to do it).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You need to sever financial ties with your parents and become your own woman.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
Fixed.

Jon.

crackup[1].gif

carlhuber

Reaction score
At 1.85%, that is just about free money

That low? Neat. I wonder if hers is so high because she missed one or two payments.
confused.gif
Might be worth looking into getting that reduced, then.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I was talking about the endowment of your poor grad school. Those things aren't really supposed to be free.

The money came from a private foundation, not the school. And when I informed the foundation that I was dropping out of grad school to take a job in journalism, they director of the foundation applauded my choice and said academia was a waste of time. So I don't lose too much sleep over it.
tounge.gif

Originally Posted by carlhuber
That low? Neat. I wonder if hers is so high because she missed one or two payments.
confused.gif
Might be worth looking into getting that reduced, then.

Mine are locked in at 7%.
frown.gif
It seemed like a good idea at the time (in 1999, when rates were lower than they'd been in more than 25 years and going higher...).

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yeah, law school ain't cheap, even at resident prices. I swear there's a price fixing scheme in here somewhere between all the law schools.
plain.gif

Also, the schools are damn stingy with their scholarships. I've yet to meet anyone with any sort of scholarship from any law school.

I had a partial need-based scholarship from Georgetown Law -- 12K for the first two years, and readjusted my 3rd year down to ~3k due to working for a firm over the summer. I still graduated with ~120k in debt. It sucks a lot. I remember Vandy offered about the same amount when they offered admission. I definitely know of people who've gotten close to full rides to go to a place like NYU (in lieu of Yale) for law school. I'd say that's pretty sweet.

But yeah, law schools cost way too much, especially considering that not everyone can get a six figure job once they graduate. Depressingly, tuition seems to be based on that assumption, even at 4th tier schools.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yeah, law school ain't cheap, even at resident prices. I swear there's a price fixing scheme in here somewhere between all the law schools.
plain.gif

Well, it's not conscious price fixing, but ever notice as the amount of money the average student can borrow to go to law school, b-school, med school, goes up, so too mysteriously does the tution.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, it's not conscious price fixing, but ever notice as the amount of money the average student can borrow to go to law school, b-school, med school, goes up, so too mysteriously does the tution.

It's basic economics, not price fixing. The availability of loans lowers the effective price, and the schools capture the difference.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It's basic economics, not price fixing. The availability of loans lowers the effective price, and the schools capture the difference.

Correct, that is why I said it was not conscious price fixing. Each school's tuition committee acts alone to capture the new funds, but they all act. I was momentarily Socratic, hence the answer in the form of a question.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished my undergrad with $60k. I am paying it off at a rate of $1.25k/month. I'm pretty pissed about it constantly.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least you're paying it off at a reasonably fast rate Huntsman. This thread has made me much more appreciative of the financial help I'm getting from my parents.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics