• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you develop your taste for shoes?

Panama

Reaction score
Instead of University, I went to the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst and served in the British Army. Whilst in nearby Camberley, I found a shoe store called Chapman's that sold Goodyear welted shoes. I actually went with K Shoes Oxford's, rather than other well known entry level GYW shoe brands. I have been enthusiastic Oxford shoe owner ever since with Loakes, Barkers and Cheaney's.

I bought K Shoes and John Spencer of Northampton shoes for most of the late 80's and 90's. Then what Gordon Scott had on sale in the noughties.

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Growing up and throughout HS and college I always had a pair of black cap toes to wear w/ suits or to functions. These were never anything very good (usually like Cole Haan - which was never amazing but wasn't as bad as it is now).

In college i started wearing non-CM boots - Frye's and Luchesses mostly. Was never one for sneakers.

As I started working, I was never in an environment that demanded very strict dress codes; however as my general interest in CM grew I started looking for shoes that were better suited. I found Allen Edmonds and acquired a number of shoes through them.

After AE went through their corporate changeover, box changes, ditching then bringing back felt bags, and went to a constant sale format, I started really questioning them as a quality product. On a business trip to New York I went into Crockett and Jones, bought some Conistons, and never looked back. Then I found out about direct mail order.... and really never looked back.

Now I can't really imagine being happy with the silhouette of most American shoes. I mostly buy C+J and Vass these days, and am quietly circling the idea of bespoke. I have not yet taken the leap because I worry I will never be able to return.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads