• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much student debt did/will you graduate with?

zyg0te

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Just started an MBA. Will graduate with $125,000. $100,000 from my overpriced private law school, $8,000 from undergrad.

Better get your money back! Those bastards didn't even teach you to add!!!

mwink[1].gif

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez, lawyers still have it relatively easy compared to physicians. A three year minimum of indentured servitude followed by a 2-3 year fellowship at 60k.... does not make for Edward Green affordability (let alone Co-Op purchases). I'll keep on trucking with my $30 Pumas.

doink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I wonder how many students take out loans and use them for **** like going on Spring Break. How much oversight (if any) is there re: where the money goes?

Those $5 pitchers probably ended up costing me $15-20 each by the time I had paid off my student loans from undergrad. From undergrad I owed $32 000 when I graduated, province "forgave" some of it down to $20 000. It is all paid off, now I am on to borrowing for grad school.

If all goes right I'll owe about 15K in loans for my MBA, and owe myself $20k to be paid back into my retirement fund.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 1983 with a debt of $0. I did owe the USMC 4 years, though.

jakejake

Reaction score
I'll owe about $100K after finishing my PharmD. Many of you guys here are lawyers or going into law.

Hanseat

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll graduate with no debt.
My living expenses are covered by my parents and tuition is paid by my grandparents. Tuition is 1200 €/ yr.
Still comes in cheap when compared to pretty much any other country.
I might go into some debt for studying abroad. After getting an LL.M. (tuition ~ 40.000 $) in the US or the UK (tuition ~ 5.500 €) I'll have plenty of debt.

Can't complain at the moment though; my apartment is paid for and I can afford to drink my coffee and go out for social events (every seat in the opera or theater for 7 euros...). I'll be applying for a job at a university-affiliated research institute though for some spending-money... Those internships don't pay anything until I'm even further into my studies, sucks to work for free.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Only about $25,000.

I was thinking of paying it all off in one lump sum early next year (Jan or Feb), but I consolidated my student loans at about 5.5% so it would make more sense to stick the $25K in an investment that pays 8% or higher and pay off my debt slowly.

Still, it would be nice to have all that debt gone.

Feel free to PM me with the name of that investment with an 8% return....

hamm23

Reaction score
I'll be about $145,000 down after getting my DC (Chiropractic). Another year and i get to start making some serious payments

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
Feel free to PM me with the name of that investment with an 8% return....

I have an account with LLoyds here in the UK called a monthly saver. I can only put in 250 pounds a month, but I get 8% on it.

K

Financier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
I graduated in 1983 with a debt of $0. I did owe the USMC 4 years, though.

Four years of your life is a lot of money. Of course, if you enjoy being a Marine, it's a great deal.

I finished undergrad with no debt, finished business school 10 years later owing about $45,000, despite being supported by my wife, who had a decent job at the time.

$35,000 of that debt was in Stafford loans, which I locked in at 2.875% for 25 years. That's hard to beat. It will probably be the last personal loan I ever pay off.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Financier
$35,000 of that debt was in Stafford loans, which I locked in at 2.875% for 25 years. That's hard to beat. It will probably be the last personal loan I ever pay off.

That's basically free money. I locked in at about 3.25% for $20,000 of my undergrad loan. Too bad I can't get that rate for the $150,000 of my law school loans. The way rates are going right now, I'm looking forward to consolidating my law loans for 5%.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
6 figures, but law school ain't cheap.
But law pays well, even if you don't make it into "big law".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads