• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
how many times do we have to say this - The NBA plus Michael Irvin is your only hope. But you can make big bucks this way. To sell an atrocious collar custom shirt in size 18X46, you could charge $300 for a shirt like that.

It's a very limited market either way. Plus, he doesn't even have swatches, as per his website (and I use the term ever-so-loosely) he only offers his shirts in white. I advocate he cut-away his ambitions.

Jon.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's another inventive collar, it seems (from FNB/LL):
Suit1.jpg
Another thing: How can they get the stripes in the cloth to follow the shape of the shawl lapel like that?

eric glennie

Reaction score
Good evening Gentlemen! Threw up a couple more designs ( bevel bottom blue jeans , skinny scarves and ties, along with wing cuffs for pants and sleeves. posted on my website www.ericglennie.com tell me what you think? thanks eric glennie

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
Good evening Gentlemen! Threw up a couple more designs ( bevel bottom blue jeans , skinny scarves and ties, along with wing cuffs for pants and sleeves. posted on my website www.ericglennie.com tell me what you think? thanks eric glennie

I think that you will never learn. Regarding your new merchandise:
crackup[1].gif

Jon.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is truely painful to look at. I'd like to think it's all a bad joke, but it's not. It's amazing to me that some people can be so divorced from reality.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
This thread is truely painful to look at. I'd like to think it's all a bad joke, but it's not. It's amazing to me that some people can be so divorced from reality.

Are you kidding me? This is the best thread of all time; it never fails to lift my spirits.

I'm particularly fond of pretending to pick up the phone and order two dozen shirts with "Collar #6". ;-)

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Even IF these were the best clothes on the planet, you absolutely have to do something about your website. Fashion is 99.99% image and your site has none of it. I'm not trying on purpose to add to the negatives here, as I usually try to be as helpful and positive as possible, but there really is nothing to be positive about.

First, what kind of image are you selling? What about your site would make somebody want to spend hundreds of dollars? Quite frankly, the layout is so poor I'd be embarassed to tell somebody where I bought my shirt (again, the actual fashion items being sold aside). Look at some of the fashion designer websites (not just major houses, but even smaller designers as well) and you can see how much a good layout helps.

Even beyond the layout, there are numerous typographical and grammatical errors in the text (in your bio, for example, you have a number of times where you don't capitalize the first person "I.") As well, your picture doesn't look... well... fashionable. Look at some of the major designers and see the ways they present themselves. Further, your "logo" on the bio page is simply a MS Paint scribbled "E" and then "G." Not exactly Chanel's interlocking C's...

If you've spent as much as you say buying patents, it's time you invested a little bit in your website and your presentation. Some of the major fashion powerhouses of our day became that way NOT due to brilliance in design as much as brilliance in presentation. Gucci and LV, for example, were pretty stodgy "has beens" in the late 1980's, but thanks to brilliant creative directors who knew how to image and present a project, they were often able to compensate for so-so products and make people line up to buy them.

I'm not going to condemn your designs, as I think it's great whenever someone is interested in fashion and wants to try and do something different (whether or not I like their designs or would ever dream of wearing them). But, you have to keep in mind that the actual item being sold is only one part of a much larger puzzle in the world of fashion.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Speaking of image and self-presentation, here's a candid photo of designer Valentino Garavani that I ran across online. He's just out walking his dog... and look at how he presents himself. Now THAT's a fashion designer...

valentino-1.jpg

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw that this thread was back at the top and was somehow glad. Eric Glennie is one of the best stories of shameless self destruction I have ever seen. It's sadly funny that you wasted over $20,000 patenting these designs. I bet in real life you are a BAD ASS mofo.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads