• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

surrender

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
Zaras are not slim by European standards. I would rate them to be slightly more generous than RL custom fit shirts. Also Zara shirts come in two grades, the standard and a higher end one with pearl buttons. Price difference about 30% I think.

It depends on how the shirts are labeled. The shirts that are labeled Size S fit me almost perfectly, while the ones that are labeled size 38 are quite a bit blousier in the chest and waist and fit more like RL custom fits. I can't afford designer stuff like Dries Van Noten or Margiela yet, so Zara will do for now

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bjorn's graph wrt the Armani Collezione, it's strange because it's the puffiest shirt I have. The neck and sleeve length are spot-on for me (15inch) but it's just huge, I find myself rarely wearing it.

Are you guys measuring true pit-to-pit right on the seam, or a little bit below that? My shirts taper quite a bit along that single inch.

orlagu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by surrender
It depends on how the shirts are labeled. The shirts that are labeled Size S fit me almost perfectly, while the ones that are labeled size 38 are quite a bit blousier in the chest and waist and fit more like RL custom fits. I can't afford designer stuff like Dries Van Noten or Margiela yet, so Zara will do for now
I've got two Zara S-size slim fit shirts, one labeled Zara Men (€24.90), darted back, and one labeled Zara Man (€29.90) w/o darts. Both made in Vietnam - my country - to be exported to EU. They fitted me nicely, but I found that Zara Man fitted better than Zara Men.

Is that similar to what maomao1980 said?

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orlagu
I've got two Zara S-size slim fit shirts, one labeled Zara Men (€24.90), darted back, and one labeled Zara Man (€29.90) w/o darts. Both made in Vietnam - my country - to be exported to EU. They fitted me nicely, but I found that Zara Man fitted better than Zara Men.

Is that similar to what maomao1980 said?

The higer end shirts I've seen has white lables, with pearl buttons, while the lower end lines have black labels and plastic buttons.

danderton5

Reaction score
My measurements (at skin): neck: 15.5" (39.37cm) arm: 34/35" (86.36cm) chest (under arms over nipple): 36" (91.44cm) mid: (around largest section of mid and over belly button): 32" (81.28cm) waist (wear pants are worn): 32" (81.28cm) Height: 5'9" (175.26cm) average shoulder slope and width average proportions (legs and torso are equally proportioned) I just found the very rare Polo Ralph Lauren Dress Shirt today at a local discount store and tried it on (I am a size 15 1/2-34/35). I have to say the fit was much better than the Van Heusen and Stafford fitted shirts I have tried on. Both the Stafford and Heusen have about 1 inch more arm space (measuring where the sleeve meets the body of the shirt. I measured straight from the top of the seam to the bottom, not following the seam). The "fitted" if it can be even called that, Stafford and Heusen shirts should be avoided unless you plan on having a tailor fix them up a bit. The Heusen has a weird curvyness to the body of the shirt as well which unless you are the perfect height adds extra fabric in the back around the mid section, and the end result is a poofy back and some extra fabric on the sides that is impossible to tuck. Here is a breif comparison of some measurements I took on the shirts: Stafford Fitted shoulders, across top of yoke: 20 arm width, as described above: 11 length, top button to tail: 29.5 width at middle of shirt, flat seam to seam: 20.75 width, under arm holes: 23.5 bottom of arm hole to tail, at side seam: 18.5 width at highest part of the tail, seam to seam: 22 Van Heusen Fitted shoulders, across top of yoke: 19.25 arm width, as described above: 11 length, top button to tail: 29 width at middle of shirt, flat seam to seam: 20 width, under arm holes: 23 bottom of arm hole to tail, at side seam: 17.5 width at highest part of the tail, seam to seam: 21 Polo Ralph Lauren Curham Custom Fit shoulders, across top of yoke: 18.75 arm width, as described above: 9.75 length, top button to tail: 29 width at middle of shirt, flat seam to seam: 20.75 width, under arm holes: 22 bottom of arm hole to tail, at side seam: 17 width at highest part of the tail, seam to seam: 22 These measurements don't fully show the subtle differences between the Heusen and the Polo shirt. The Heusen has a very full center pleating that poofs of the back. In addition the Heusen is too curvy and in my opinion resembles a woman's dress shirt. The over-curvy Heusen leads too additional fabric that can't be tucked in because of the stitching on the shirt. The Polo has more squared body and is also fairly slim. I know they are not at all in the same category but the "dress" shirts from American Eagle Outfitters have almost identical measurements to the Polo Custom Fit Curham shirt. I disliked both the Stafford and Heusen because of their bagginess in both the arms and although slightly less baggy mid sections, still baggy none the less. I enjoyed the Curham RL Polo but still feel it is not sharp enough as I would like it and certainly remains baggy around the mid section but the arms fit the best yet. Now, I am looking for some suggestions as to some better fitting shirts, or a guide to custom fitting my shirts. 1) My girlfriend has some very developed sewing skills and can easily take a part a shirt and sew it to the measurements I give her but I am not really sure how tight the shirt should be. She hasn't done much mens tailor but from what she knows about customizing her own stuff I think it will work out fine. Is an inch of space around the entire mid section enough? Two inches? I really don't know how to go about this so if anyone with a similar build to mine (if it matters?) could try on their best fitting shirt and create some kind of technique to get the right fit around the mid section and arms I would really appreciate it. I know one test I did was pulling on the front of the shirt, around the belly button, tightly to pull forward all of the fabric and then sliding a measure tape up my shirt measuring from my belly to the shirt. (I don't know how great that is but it is a start I guess). 2) Secondly, is there any company that produces a better fitting shirt for my build? I have read through this thread but it's hard when no one really posts their measurements or anything. A reply from some similarly built folks would be great. Sorry this is so long, but hey, you didn't have to read it all. Thanks, D.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how you have measurements to the tenth of a millimeter.
teacha.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its been asked and discussed previously, but I took the liberty of making a drawing showing what IMHO is the optimum height for a slim shirt worn outside jeans (or pants). It is about half way down the front of the zipper, i.e. half way from the waist to the crotch:

Shirt2.jpg

Jon.

danderton5

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Hugo Boss in 15.5, 34/35 and would be willing to take some measurements for me? I was looking for:
1. armpit seam to seam across chest
2. across yoke, seam to seam shoulders
3. acoss mid section of shirt
4. width across lowest parth of shirt

Thanks.

itskub

Reaction score
The shirt I have says BOSS hugo boss on a black label from an outlet store. Not sure if its different from the HB shirts with a red label. Its a 15/34,35, and I have a 37" chest, and its not close to slim.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the difference in fit of Finamore black label versus Finamore white label?
I have one Finamore black label shirt and it is very slim with very high armholes. In size 16 it is the only brand I found that is actually too slim for my 42" chest.

danderton5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
The shirt I have says BOSS hugo boss on a black label from an outlet store. Not sure if its different from the HB shirts with a red label. Its a 15/34,35, and I have a 37" chest, and its not close to slim.

We have really similar measurements, what shirts have you found that fit you best?

itskub

Reaction score
the only brand so far that Im satisfied with the fit is Patrizia Pepe, this is a M 48.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9553/buy3hj4.jpg
I found a few at Daffys; in green, blue/white microcheckered, cream/linen..Though theyre not really dress-shirts.
And for sweaters and t-shirts Gazernitti (sp?) fits nicely.
Other then that I just have all my tops altered.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
the only brand so far that Im satisfied with the fit is Patrizia Pepe, this is a M 48.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9553/buy3hj4.jpg
I found a few at Daffys; in green, blue/white microcheckered, cream/linen..Though theyre not really dress-shirts.
And for sweaters and t-shirts Gazernitti (sp?) fits nicely.
Other then that I just have all my tops altered.

Way too slim. Anyone w/ some upperbody muscle or fat would not fit into that shirt.

Too short to be tucked in also => not a dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads