1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. Otto

Otto Active Member

I love you, now if somebody can tell me where to find the less common brands in Dallas I would be very gratefull.

2. The Great Wazu

The Great Wazu Well-Known Member

To break it down just a bit more - of the above brands everyone has kindly contributed to identifying, which make (or have a line of) small (i.e. not long or pointed), spread collar shirts?

3. Young Scrappy

Young Scrappy Senior member

Do some pushups. Problem solved.

LOL

4. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

Well, Lewin is having a sale on their shirts and their Roverto (sp?) line is supposed to be trim fitting. The Barbas I've bought are pretty trim, but then I do need to drop about 30 pounds which I gained as a result of 3 epidurals to heal a bad back problem last year. Even though I gained the weight, I would not hesitate to do the epidurals. Nothing else was working and I was in the most pain from my back I'd ever experienced.

5. phatty123

phatty123 Senior member

Would you say almost all Express Shirts are slim fit?

Hey Tarmac, since we are both around the same measurements, are most of your shirts medium or small? Do you wear more medium shirts for casual b/c most of those shirts are slim fit and you wear your dress shirts in size small for work?

thanks.

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I was at J. Crew yesterday and none of their shirts were slim, they were all really baggy. As were shirts I tried on at Express.

Jon.

7. phatty123

phatty123 Senior member

Hey i rememebered someone told me that the perfect size for a blazer is have it just cover your behind and i read that in many sites.

Where would be the perfect size for a shirt to end in the back? I am assuming covering half the behind? In the front, i heard it was to the middle of your zipper in your jeans? Is that correct?

Thankss.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

Hey i rememebered someone told me that the perfect size for a blazer is have it just cover your behind and i read that in many sites. Where would be the perfect size for a shirt to end in the back? I am assuming covering half the behind? In the front, i heard it was to the middle of your zipper in your jeans? Is that correct? Thankss.
    That sounds about right for a shirt you want to wear untucked. It looks bad if it's as long as a jacket.

9. phatty123

phatty123 Senior member

Are some of your shirts sort of longer in the back than in the front? Some of my shirts which are Banana Republic seem to be like this? I say the shirt is about 1 inch shorter than the jacket. Is that a good size assuming I am only talking about untucked shirts?

10. j

j Senior member Admin

Most shirts are cut longer in the back, with the exception of some square bottom shirts meant for wearing untucked. I think these ones look pretty goofy - for an untucked shirt I like it cut with a normal shirt tail only shallower and shorter.

1" shorter than the jacket is probably okay, maybe on the long side.

11. phatty123

phatty123 Senior member

well what how many inches would be ideal shorter than a jacket?

Thanks.

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Would you say almost all Express Shirts are slim fit?

Hey Tarmac, since we are both around the same measurements, are most of your shirts medium or small? Do you wear more medium shirts for casual b/c most of those shirts are slim fit and you wear your dress shirts in size small for work?

Yes my best fitting shirts are size small. I'm not referring to the neck size however, which is probably too tight. These are casual shirts without a tie. I either wear small, or medium slim fit. I haven't bought any Express shirts in the last 5-7 years so I can't comment on those. My dress shirt size is 15x32

13. NameWhore

NameWhore Member

Anyone see the J Brand wovens? Haven't tried them on yet though...

14. phatty123

phatty123 Senior member

interesting tarmac. My neck is also 15'.

15. csgrad

csgrad Senior member

namewhore: whos that girl in your avatar?

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

well what how many inches would be ideal shorter than a jacket?

Thanks.

If you look at the picture I drew (and posted previously on this thread), you can see what is IMHO the optimal length for a shirt. A jacket should of course cover one's posterior, thus it would be longer than the shirt by probably at least 1 ½”; of course ones height is a determining factor.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=35147&page=8

Jon.

17. CAshtead

CAshtead Member

True NaN, never a good idea

18. visionology

visionology Senior member

Just got some Tyrwhitt Casual slim fit shirts in the mail. Just tried them on and at my size (5' 10" 170lbs 16" neck 34" armlength) the medium is the perfect length and fit for me. Just slim enough without being girly and the length is good to wear tucked or untucked.

There are no collar stays which is my only big gripe but it's ok, the shirts are pretty nice and will make good use since I usually dress down. They are made in Romania or so says the tag.

19. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Don't want to dig through 12 pages of posts, so excuse if this has been mentioned, but I recently received a couple of Dolce and Gabbana "Tailored Fit" shirts as a gift. For RTW, they actually fit really well if you're more or less muscular.

Depending on the fabric they retail anywhere from $325-$400, which is insane for what you are getting, but these were scored from Saks final cut sale. Granted, selection isn't as good as what's in season, but for about $130, which is what I was told, I think they fit great, although as with all RTW, things could be adjusted such as sleeve length and cuff diameter.

I like them because they can double as work shirts and "going out/clubbing" shirts, although I don't do much of the latter any more. But definitely not shirts I would wear to a business meeting or presentation.

Great if your closet can use some variety.

20. Otto

Otto Active Member

I'm comming to the horrifying realization that there is no such thing as a rtw shirt that fits both my scrawney neck and my shoulders.