• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Great Wazu
I don't own any, which is the reason I ask -- do Kiton shirts fit slim?

(No intentions of buying, just curious)

The ones I've bought in Hong Kong fits nicely (better than the Borrellis I've had--also from HK) Fits very well in the shoulders, chest and waist, only the the back is quite generously cut. Could use some tailoring. Overall the **** tends to be long, which I don't mind as I like to feel secure in that the shirt will stay tucked-in.

danderton5

Reaction score
Can someone give the measurements from the slimfitting H&M dress shirts?

armhole width, armpit (seam to seam), shoulder yoke, etc. Thanks

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I will now be locking any "slim fit shirt" threads in MC with a link to this thread. Keep it here so people can find the info. Thaaaaaaaaaanks.

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
another shirt that with a slim fit are Dsquared shirts. Only thing that had to be altered were the sleeves. I'm not that tall,but overall the shirt is very slim.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Miguel Alvarez
another shirt that with a slim fit are Dsquared shirts. Only thing that had to be altered were the sleeves. I'm not that tall,but overall the shirt is very slim.
Do they come with a male stripper? I didn't know anybody actually wore that crap off the runway or outside of Pride Week.

Miguel Alvarez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Do they come with a male stripper? I didn't know anybody actually wore that crap off the runway or outside of Pride Week.
yeah thong included. No c'mon the shirt i bought doesn't look any different than other dress/casual shirts. red/pinkish shirt with white collar, white cuffs. ps. have you ever seen dsquared stuff or did those guy's in speedo's get all of your attention and lost focus for their dress shirts?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up some J. Crew shirts on sale, I think they've been mentioned here before, but I like the fit very much. That said, they probably aren't the greatest quality and aren't formal enough for the office (by standards here, I am sure most offices will find them just fine). Also, I'm not a skinny guy, just normal who goes to the gym a good amount, and these shirts don't pull in the chest except for the slightest bit if my arms are flailing, so these may not be "slim" for the slimmest men.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just picked up a J. Crew linen shirt that is pretty slim fitting, and I think it's a good deal on sale. I got that and two pairs of socks for under $20. The guy applied some 25% discount to the whole thing, not sure why, but I wasn't going to ask.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The guy applied some 25% discount to the whole thing, not sure why, but I wasn't going to ask.

I got the same discount, the shirts ended up being just under $15, and a sweater I got was $7.50. I feel I should go back and purchase more, as my non-business purposes find these shirts to be just the right thing.

phatty123

Reaction score
I think i heard a lot of guys have this problem also. I am 5'8 and about 145lbs and all my shirts are medium. I always wear them untucked unless i wear it under my V-neck sweater. The thing is it always looks sort of loose and from the guys here posting... loose is not good. However, small is sort of tight.

Why do they not have shirts between a small and a medium? I am skinny so i fall between there. I also feel weird wearing a small since 5'8 isn't really short. Someone in another forum mentioned that he is like me sort of 5'7 and 140lbs and always have shirts either small or extra small and said it doesn't matter what size the shirt says as long as you feel it looks good. I also heard there are some guys who are 5'9 and 6'0 who wear medium and am around 160lbs or so.

Does anyone with the measurements like mine.. 5'8 and 145lbs wear small or medium? I know there are some of those guys that wear Small shirts eventhough they are 5'11 because they want to show their muscles.

Oops i meant dress shirts or casual shirts that are long sleeve.

If your not 5'8 and around 145lbs, can you guys list your height and weight and list what size you wear?

Thanks.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'1 172 and have the same problem. Usually, I solve it by buying shirts that go by neck/sleeve sizes instead of S, M, etc. The one shirt I do like sized the latter way is the J. Crew washed favorite shirt. I actually wear a small, despite my height. I can do that because my torso is relatively short (same reason I wear a regular suit jacket). Try the Hugo Boss dress shirts in the slimmer fit. They say either "Modern Classic" or "Classic Fitted" on the back of the inside cardboard (just turn the shirt over to look) and have double button cuffs. Also see drizzt's thread about Zara super slim shirts.

phatty123

Reaction score
wow your 6'1 and wear small. That's pretty rare. I read a lot of people say that American size shirts are more bigger than they use to right? Because some people say that if you wear a large, you should consider a medium because a poster said...

of the up-sizing of American clothing sizes, off the rack I can actually wear many small size shirts as long as they have short sleeves. This is why you seem to run into clothing which seem too big for you (join the club).

tbone226

Reaction score
Keep in mind that you can have the body/sleeves of the shirt slimmed down by a tailor. This should give you the correct fit.

phatty123

Reaction score
well i have a banana republic light blue dress shirt that looks pretty good but its a size medium and sort of loose. Paid 40 for it on sale and it costs around 64 now in total. Can i have that shirt shortened or slimmed down by a tailor? I never went to a tailor before. If i can do this... how much does it cost?

Do you pay tailors a one time fee everytime you go there like a pay as you go kind of thing? Because i heard people look for a tailor and says my tailor is so and so and that sounds like i am paying them to be my tailor forever like a contract.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads