1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. water

water Senior member

Oh, and I believe I have one of the EU shirts. Is there an identifying mark on the US market versions?

2. wig2903

wig2903 New Member

I've finally found the perfect slim fit shirt - Paul Smith - for those who are interested. Unlike others I've tried which have fallen short in either the sleeve length, amount of material round the waist or giving a hunch back appearance, these are perfect. I would definitely recommend checking them out.

3. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

Can anyone give any input on Geoffery Beene fitted or Alfani Fitted. I have heard mixed reviews on their fit.

I really like the Geoffery Beene Wrinkle-free fitted shirts. They fit very well.

4. finecognac

finecognac New Member

Do some pushups. Problem solved.

I don't know that pushups make your stomach bigger. It's the fit in the waist and body, not just shoulder !

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh, and I believe I have one of the EU shirts. Is there an identifying mark on the US market versions?

The identifying mark is that they are slimmer [​IMG] Tell me the neck and chest size and I'll tell you what it is. For example, my slim Barba's are 15.75 neck and a 42 chest.

If you need to go slimmer than that, check out Roda shirts, slimmest quality shirts I've ever encountered. I think in a 15.5 neck they have a 38 inch chest.

6. csgrad

csgrad Senior member

The GV Conte on Yoox all look really baggy on the model, just how slim are they in real life? I've been sticking to hickey and bagutta as my goto shirt sources now a days. Hickey cloth is alot better ( and alot more expensive retail) but hard to find tasteful styles. Bagutta makes good shirts for the yoox price of 70-85 bucks.

7. itskub

itskub Senior member

i have a roda shirt thats labeled 15/38. by far the shortest shirt i have, especially the sleeves. the waist fits me oddly also, i geuss its just not for my (tall skinny) body type.

i cant get myself to buy anything from yoox.com, their models really leave me clueless as to how an item fits.

8. fredrik80

fredrik80 Senior member

The GV conte model i have, in a size 40 (same as i wear in bagutta) is cut slightly slimmer than the bagutta shirt. The bagutta shirt is not darted at the back but somehow it manages to fit good there anyway, the gv conte shirt is darted so its more contoured at the back.
    The conte shirts are cut a bit shorter aswell so they look good worn untucked... but as you say some of their styles are probably non-slimfit. Check for the darts on the back on the shirt pics

9. csgrad

csgrad Senior member

Ah thanks, yeah the un-darted bagutta shirts without back pleats fit really well in the back, surprisingly. The ones with back pleats are a lot more roomier though, because I guess that's their more "fat" model lol. That's interesting about gv conte, i may have to pick some up as well, there's also alot of new bagutta shirts with darts already in them on yoox, and these look to be really slim.

10. water

water Senior member

My Barba is a 15.5 with a 43" chest.

As I mentioned, no problem in the chest and shoulder area which both fit brilliantly. My only half concern is through the waist. Still, the shirt is beautiful so I have no real, serious complaints.

11. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Barba's are slim through the chest, but definately are not slim around the waist. I'm talking about the EU model.

12. paisley_red

paisley_red Active Member

Surprisingly enough, found that GAP's new fall line of shirts were slim cut. They offer a fitted cut shirt, which was slim around the arms. However, they have a slim cut shirt that is slim throughout the torso and arms as well. You should definitely check it out, I was very surprised to see them alter their cuts this season.

13. joel_954

joel_954 Senior member

I really like the Geoffery Beene Wrinkle-free fitted shirts. They fit very well.

The only problem with these shirts, at least with the white one with the spread collar, is that they are not as wrinkle-free as they claim.

14. ms244

ms244 Senior member

I took a RL purple label shirt I bought on ebay to a local Thai lady who does tailoring. For a whole $14 it now fits as well and slim as anything I have found off the rack. [​IMG]

15. horndog

horndog Senior member

I'm looking at buying a shirt or two from the shopthefinest site and I wonder if any of you have experiences with Truzzi v. Barba v. Finamore. I definitely want it to be form fitting, but not too tight (5'8, 180 lb, ~40-42 jacket size, 34 waist). All of my shirts are either 16 or 16.5 necks depending on the cut of the collar. Would any of you be able to tell me how true to size these brands' collars are? Or make any recommendations as to which brand might fit me best? If worse comes to worst i'll just order all 3 and return the 2 brands for the one which fits best [​IMG]. But! I'd like to avoid that.

16. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Note a few new options.

The very slim Thom Browne/Brooks Brothers Black Fleece shirt in oxford or broadcloth is $150.

Polo Ralph Lauren now has a 'Bleecker" line that is more slim fitting.

Polo Rugby is slim as well, but AFAIK is not sold online.

17. wq1999

wq1999 Senior member

I'm looking at buying a shirt or two from the shopthefinest site and I wonder if any of you have experiences with Truzzi v. Barba v. Finamore. I definitely want it to be form fitting, but not too tight (5'8, 180 lb, ~40-42 jacket size, 34 waist). All of my shirts are either 16 or 16.5 necks depending on the cut of the collar. Would any of you be able to tell me how true to size these brands' collars are? Or make any recommendations as to which brand might fit me best? If worse comes to worst i'll just order all 3 and return the 2 brands for the one which fits best [​IMG]. But! I'd like to avoid that.

I have experience with all three. Finamore is by far the slimmest, with extremely narrow shoulders. Based on your description, they probably wouldn't work very well. Barba are form-fitting, but not tight at all: high arm-holes, narrow through the chest straight down. The shoulders on Barba are about 0.5" too big for me, but it creates a soft, Italian shoulder, which I like. Truzzi shirts are beautiful and well-tailored, but not extremely slim by Italian standards. Probably similar to most RLPL/Lorenzini shirts in terms of fit. These probably would be an excellent choice for your body type.

18. ozonemania

ozonemania Senior member

If this thread is about slim fit shirts in general, personally I think there should be a distinction of 'fit' depending on whether or not it is a dress shirt.

I'm a fairly slim guy, so I really do love slim fits, but there's something I don't like about some of them. I find that if a slim fit shirt is too trim below the chest, my shirt will untuck itself alot easier than if it were of a fuller cut. It's even worse when the shirt length is not generous.

That's why when I'm looking at buying slim-fit shirts for myself (for work), I always look at how it fits on the neck, chest and armholes/arms as more important than if it seems 'blousey' further down. I like the extra bit of fabric down there; I find that if shirt fabric is allowed to fold over itself a little bit more when tucked in, the shirt tends to help itself stay tucked in. Otherwise, the shirt just slips out of my pants if I raise my arms at all. Not sure if I'm making sense.

If the shirt in question is a more casual shirt (i.e. can be worn untucked), then I go with a slimmer cut going all the way down, and wear it untucked, with the hem sitting just above where the trouser pocket opening would end.

This is just my personal common-sense practice on this... perhaps this has already been covered; I didn't see this in the last 15 pages...

19. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

TM Lewin semi-fitted are slim too, especially 1/2 size down. The quality seems to have dropped a little in the three years since I first bought one, but for $50/shirt on sale, I guess you get what you pay for.

20. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

TM Lewin semi-fitted are slim too, especially 1/2 size down. The quality seems to have dropped a little in the three years since I first bought one, but for $50/shirt on sale, I guess you get what you pay for.

I've done a search, I've Googled, I've looked on AskAndy, but I still can't find the answer.

Is a TM Lewin Slim Fit more fitted than a Tyrwhitt? Or is a CT slimmer than a Lewin? I sized down on a CT and that seems to be ok, but the sleeves are still baggy. Just wondering about Lewins before I shell out AU$250 for some shirts.