• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

phatty123

Reaction score
Hey i rememebered someone told me that the perfect size for a blazer is have it just cover your behind and i read that in many sites.

Where would be the perfect size for a shirt to end in the back? I am assuming covering half the behind? In the front, i heard it was to the middle of your zipper in your jeans? Is that correct?

Thankss.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phatty123
Hey i rememebered someone told me that the perfect size for a blazer is have it just cover your behind and i read that in many sites. Where would be the perfect size for a shirt to end in the back? I am assuming covering half the behind? In the front, i heard it was to the middle of your zipper in your jeans? Is that correct? Thankss.
That sounds about right for a shirt you want to wear untucked. It looks bad if it's as long as a jacket.

phatty123

Reaction score
Are some of your shirts sort of longer in the back than in the front? Some of my shirts which are Banana Republic seem to be like this? I say the shirt is about 1 inch shorter than the jacket. Is that a good size assuming I am only talking about untucked shirts?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most shirts are cut longer in the back, with the exception of some square bottom shirts meant for wearing untucked. I think these ones look pretty goofy - for an untucked shirt I like it cut with a normal shirt tail only shallower and shorter.

1" shorter than the jacket is probably okay, maybe on the long side.

phatty123

Reaction score
well what how many inches would be ideal shorter than a jacket?

Thanks.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say almost all Express Shirts are slim fit?

Hey Tarmac, since we are both around the same measurements, are most of your shirts medium or small? Do you wear more medium shirts for casual b/c most of those shirts are slim fit and you wear your dress shirts in size small for work?

Yes my best fitting shirts are size small. I'm not referring to the neck size however, which is probably too tight. These are casual shirts without a tie. I either wear small, or medium slim fit. I haven't bought any Express shirts in the last 5-7 years so I can't comment on those. My dress shirt size is 15x32

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well what how many inches would be ideal shorter than a jacket?

Thanks.

If you look at the picture I drew (and posted previously on this thread), you can see what is IMHO the optimal length for a shirt. A jacket should of course cover one's posterior, thus it would be longer than the shirt by probably at least 1 ½”; of course ones height is a determining factor.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=35147&page=8

Jon.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got some Tyrwhitt Casual slim fit shirts in the mail. Just tried them on and at my size (5' 10" 170lbs 16" neck 34" armlength) the medium is the perfect length and fit for me. Just slim enough without being girly and the length is good to wear tucked or untucked.

There are no collar stays which is my only big gripe but it's ok, the shirts are pretty nice and will make good use since I usually dress down. They are made in Romania or so says the tag.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to dig through 12 pages of posts, so excuse if this has been mentioned, but I recently received a couple of Dolce and Gabbana "Tailored Fit" shirts as a gift. For RTW, they actually fit really well if you're more or less muscular.

Depending on the fabric they retail anywhere from $325-$400, which is insane for what you are getting, but these were scored from Saks final cut sale. Granted, selection isn't as good as what's in season, but for about $130, which is what I was told, I think they fit great, although as with all RTW, things could be adjusted such as sleeve length and cuff diameter.

I like them because they can double as work shirts and "going out/clubbing" shirts, although I don't do much of the latter any more. But definitely not shirts I would wear to a business meeting or presentation.

Great if your closet can use some variety.

Otto

Reaction score
I'm comming to the horrifying realization that there is no such thing as a rtw shirt that fits both my scrawney neck and my shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads