1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

If anyone's having a problem finding a super slim dress shirt please see the link in my signature [​IMG]

2. SieurDeLaSalle

SieurDeLaSalle Senior member

3. DunninLA

DunninLA Well-Known Member

I did a search on the thread and found one post about Ralph Lauren Purple Label... He said he had it taken in at a local tailor.

Can anyone comment on the expected chest size of a Purple Label, white button collar, in size Large? It could be anywhere from 45" (Barba), to 51" (Borrelli 16.5), and I'd really like to know which end of the spectrum the Purple Label are likely to fall into.

4. peterthefreshman

peterthefreshman New Member

I'll throw my two cents on slim fit shirts in.
    Slimmest off the rack true 'dress shirts'
    1) Hugo Boss Red Label. Retails for 95.00 comes in blue and white sleeves graduated from neck size. 15 is about a 34. Shoulders very narrow, tail fairly short, can be worn untucked, collar is very 'hipster' point collar intended for skinny ties tied in a four in hand.
    2) Dolce. Three fits of Dolce, Classic; Tailored; Trim. Trim fit is fantastic, seasonal fabrics very substantial med spread collars. Beautiful Shirts, start at 225 OTR.
    3) Boss Classic Fitted. Starts at 95 goes to 200. They changed their measurements recently because the ones I bought last year fit way trimmer. The trimmer boss shirts (classic fitted) have flat buttons, the fuller (classic) fit boss shirts have stacked buttons.
    4) The only way to go, in my opinion, is the Nordstrom MTM Slim Fit. This is a new fit for them that goes way beyond their original Tailored Fit. They are 145 per, take from 4-6 weeks, and are awesome shirts. All the fabrics are Alumo, egyptians (except a couple of sea islands that are 225) At their anniversary sale they had 10 fabrics for 96.90. The length of the tail on these is substantial so if you want to wear it untucked you'll have to get it shortened.
    5) Then there is the hit and miss usuals, Varvatos, Ben Sherman, Chelsea by Talbott, Guy Rover, Paul Smith,

hope this was helpful. i find myself rambling....

5. Braughn

Braughn Member

Can anyone tell me the waist size of Ike Behar's "trim fit" shirts. His traditional cut is 44" at the waist for a 15.5 neck.
    Thanks in advance.
    All the advice and observations on here are awesum.

6. supercarl

supercarl Senior member

ct shirts slim fit always workfor me

7. supercarl

supercarl Senior member

also zara, picked up some beauts in spain

8. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Senior member

Ben Sherman has been the only brand I've found with good slim fitting shirts. I can't remember the name of the cut since I don't have the tags anymore, but the 98% cotton, 2% elastane one fits nicely and is comfortable. I use the 3L size. From top of iliac crest to armpit I'm 15". Underside of the arm from armpit to wrist bone I'm 22.5". Not sure what the proper measuring standards are, but I have long arms, and I wear my pants on the hips and the 3L still fits fine.

9. maxwell83

maxwell83 New Member

Junk De Lux make the best fitting slim shirts in my opinion. But they are quite hard to get hold of.

10. Wurkinstiff

Wurkinstiff Member

How much should I expect to pay to get my shirts taylored? Is it worth it or should I just by new ones?

All of my Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts need to be taken in just a little bit.

The funny thing is that the cheapest shirts I own (Guess) fit the best. Go figure

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

How much should I expect to pay to get my shirts taylored? Is it worth it or should I just by new ones?

All of my Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts need to be taken in just a little bit.

The funny thing is that the cheapest shirts I own (Guess) fit the best. Go figure

How much is a little? I wouldn't bother unless you plan to take 3 or more inches off the circumerference of the shirt.....

12. jabreal00

jabreal00 Senior member

I have a lot of shirts from BR or J.Crew. Most of them had to be taken in at the sides and sleeves. They are making "slim fit" shirts now. I live in Austin TX, it costs me $14-16 a shirt at my local tailor. If it's worth anything must of my clothes have been tailored (I have a thin build) because I hate the bellowing look.

13. ns_guy

ns_guy Active Member

The only problem with these shirts, at least with the white one with the spread collar, is that they are not as wrinkle-free as they claim.
    I bought two Geoffrey Beene shirts at a 60% discount, and right now the collars are so stiff they are unwearable. Initially I thought the collars were too tight, but none of my other shirts have a problem and the collars fit the same. Even after washing them a few times, I still get a rash on my neck since it's like rubbing your neck against cardboard all day. I'm going to buy some fabric softener this weekend and soak the collars in it. Glad I didn't pay full price for them...any suggestions on how to soften them up (pound them with a rubber mallet perhaps?).

14. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

FYI,

Today we recieved our Hilditch & Key dress shirts in the slim fit model. According to them, I am the only retailer in the US that has ordered that model. I did post awhile back the specs on these shirts and I will get pics up soon of our fabric selections.
    They're nice!

Gary

15. crackeoto

crackeoto Active Member

Has anyone tried the bespoke shirt service at Nordstrom yet? When the salesman told me about it, he said shirts start at $145 and go all the way up to $295, which is an amazing price range for bespoke shirts. I think they're made in SE Asia, so i'm not sure what the end product will look like in terms of quality, but he said if you're not satisfied with the shirt they'll allow you to return it.

I've been looking at doing bespoke shirts for a while as I've been really frustrated with finding reasonably priced slim fitting shirts, but with starting prices at $250 and no great recommendations, I've been a bit hesitant.

For my measurements [14.5 neck, 39 chest, 16.5 shoulders, 32.5 arms, 32 waist]
    I've also had reasonable luck with:
    APC, Band of Outsiders, H&M (slim fit), Nom de Guerre, and almost any Japanese label in medium.

As for alterations, I've got a tailor that only charges $20-28 USD to dart or bring in from the sides and/or tapper arms and shorten sleeves. I don't know why his prices are so low, but his work has been good so far.

16. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

In responce to the Nordstroms bespoke service, (i just had my interview there today and got the job) but none the less they told me about their new service for dress shirts and they also offer the same for ties and bow ties. But as far as shirts are concerned they start with a basic body form and add the collar and cuffs and buttons that you prefer and they just end up tailoring it for you and maybe add some monogramming. I really wouldnt consider it a bespoke service, more like a mainstream customization. But from what i saw their work wasnt bad just not as individualistic as i'd hoped.

17. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Quick question: Does anyone make dress shirts with 14 inch collars ? It seems amazingly hard to find.

18. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Lamatta suede jacket
    Dunhill sweater
    Borrelli pant
    BJ belt
    Zegna socks
    PS boots

19. spertia

spertia Senior member

Dunhill sweater

Hey, that's not a slim-fit shirt....