1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, May 1, 2007.

1. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

I have found that RL classic shirts (at least the ones I got a Marshall's) offer a decent fit if I size down from a 15.5" neck and a 39" chest (my actual numbers) to a 14.5/37. [​IMG] [​IMG]

i have a roda shirt thats labeled 15/38. by far the shortest shirt i have, especially the sleeves. the waist fits me oddly also, i geuss its just not for my (tall skinny) body type.

i cant get myself to buy anything from yoox.com, their models really leave me clueless as to how an item fits.

Just to point out what seems to be a common error: the second number quoted immediately after a shirt's US collar size is not the chest, it's the European collar size. So 15/38 or 14.5/37 offer no information as to whether the shirt is skinny or not.

2. touristique

touristique Member

I found that the new "Bleecker" cut from Ralph Lauren is a great take on the "Custom Fit" and is well worth looking into.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I found that the new "Bleecker" cut from Ralph Lauren is a great take on the "Custom Fit" and is well worth looking into.

Is it slimmer than custom fit?

Jon.

4. touristique

touristique Member

Just to point out what seems to be a common error: the second number quoted immediately after a shirt's US collar size is not the chest, it's the European collar size. So 15/38 or 14.5/37 offer no information as to whether the shirt is skinny or not.

Are you 100%? I'm sure I've tried two shirts from the same manufacturer which were 15"/31 and 15"/33 and they've had the same collar but different chests.

Just curious, and I'd always assumed it was chest.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Are you 100%? I'm sure I've tried two shirts from the same manufacturer which were 15"/31 and 15"/33 and they've had the same collar but different chests.

Nope, 31 or 33 would be the sleeve length.

Jon.

6. touristique

touristique Member

7. touristique

touristique Member

Is it slimmer than custom fit?

Jon.

Officially I don't know, but it seems to be. I found it to be much closer to a Black Label fit. Prices range around $95 to $170 with many patterns and fabrics. Check them out.

8. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

15"/31" is the collar and sleeve size. You should have noted different sleeve lengths too.

9. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Merely stating that the shirts are cut so large that for a given printed number, I have to size down 1"+ to get something that isn't a bag. I see that my posts was a bit confusing by having the numbers next to each other.

10. sung41

sung41 Member

Um, wrong thread. [​IMG]

Jon.

agreed

11. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

How much should I expect to pay to get my shirts taylored? Is it worth it or should I just by new ones?

All of my Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts need to be taken in just a little bit.

The funny thing is that the cheapest shirts I own (Guess) fit the best. Go figure

Actually Guess, despite everyone's contempt for them on this board, has pretty nice fitting shirts. Most of their casual shirts look like this one.

[​IMG]

12. Wurkinstiff

Wurkinstiff Member

Guess does have some good slim fitting shirts, but they don't seem to last very long. The quality of the materials seems a little questionable.

I have several Brooks Brothers Slim fit non iron shirts going on two years with no signs of wear [​IMG]

They are expensive, but what else can you buy for $75 that lasts for two years.

13. giffsa

giffsa New Member

When i lived in Australia i used to get slim-fit shirts from Herringbone:

http://www.herringbone.com.au

You can buy off the wesbite so i guess they can be shipped o/s. Only a small range available online mind... but if you're ever in Sydney, they've got some interesting prints available. Good colors.

14. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Not a lot of numbers in this thread. I need a 16" neck with an 18"-18.5" yoke, a 42-44" chest, and a 39-40" middle. I have had no luck at all with RTW shirts, even when I size down to a 15.5" neck on brands that offer a generous (1/2 in+) neck allowance. I have had some success with three MTM sources (Jantzen, Bestcustomshirt, and a local guy). Sadly, since I also live in an area without a robust tailoring tradition, the more expensive RTW shirts (Finamore, e.g.) are out because I am not confident I can find a seamstress to shorten the sleeves (I need 33"-34"). But enough about my needs. I offer this sad tale [​IMG] as a warning to you younger peoples.

If anyone has similar measurements & knows an RTW shirt worth trying, I'd love to hear about it. Good luck fellow dress shirt fiends.

15. bigboss

bigboss New Member

Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts
    Construction: 9/10
    Price: 8/10
    Fabric: Poplin , twill in 100% cotton (80's - 140's 2x)
    Patterns: plain, check, stripe
    Fit: | | (i.e. English fit. The other two would be the blousy American / \\ and tapered French \\ /)
    Comments: Business ready, complimentary brass collar stiffeners

Size----14h33..15/33..15/35..15h33... 15h35..15h37..16/34..16/35..16/36..16h34..16h35..16h36..16h38
    Collar....14.5"......15"......15"....15.5".... 15.5"...15.5"......16"......16".....16"....16.5"...16.5"...16.5"....16.5"
    Sleeve--...33"......33"......35".......33"....... 35"......37"......34"......35".....36".......34"......35"......36".......38"
    Chest---...42"......43"......43".......44"....... 44"......44"......46"......46".....46".......47"......47"......47".......51"\t
    Waist.......39"......40"......40".......41"....... 41"......41"......43"......43".....43".......44"......44"......44".......50"
    Bottom--.......................................................................................................................45"........................
    Shoulders-.................................................................................................................18.5"........................
    Cuff----............................................................................................................................9"........................
    Armhole--......................................................................................................................12"........................
    Frntlngth..31"......31"......31"....31.5".... 31.5"...31.5"......32"......32".....32".......32"......32"......32".......33"\t
    Bcklngth...31"......31"......31"....31.5".... 31.5"...31.5"......32"......32".....32".......32"......32"......32".......35"

Size----17/35..17/37..17h36..17h38.. 18/37..19/37..19/38..20/37..20/38
    Collar......17"......17"...17.5"....17.5"...... 18".....19"......19"......20"......20"
    Sleeve--..35"......37"......36".......38"...... 37".....37"......38"......37"......38"
    Chest---..49"......49"......50".......55"...... 52".....53"......59"......54"......61"
    Waist......46"......46"......48".......54"...... 49".....50"......58"......52"......60"
    Bottom--...................................................................................................
    Shoulders-................................................................................................
    Cuff----.....................................................................................................
    Armhole--..................................................................................................
    Frntlngth.32"......32"......32".......33"... 32.5"..32.5"......35"...32.5"......35"
    Bcklngth..32"......32"......32".......35"... 32.5"..32.5"......37"...32.5"......37"

16. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

Jon's (FIHTies) slim fit shirts are very nice. I received one (gratis, full disclosure) and I will post a full review shortly. To sum up, they have a few quirks I don't care for personally, but no glaring quality issues, and to put it in a few words, they fit almost like the H&M slim fit shirts I like very much, but much better made.

This is the one I chose: http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...ct=FHES-80G-08

IMO an excellent value for $110.

Did you ever write a full review of the shirt (with pics, of course)? I can't seem to find it if you did.

17. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

To echo this previous post, Balenciaga make a nice fitting shirt. I bought a 15/38 from ebay seller dolce-made-in-italy and the fit is tidy without being tight. The shirt model is 'Firenze'. The sleeze size was unlisted, but I'd guess it is a 33".

"Any of the designer brands make slim shirts. This is especially true once you get at the more esoteric brands such as Dries van Noten or Undercover."

I wouldn't say that ANY designer brand makes slim shirts. Dolce and Gabbana and Gucci is cut more for bigger guys for instance and they are cut like a box in comparison to something like Dior Homme.

"Comme Des Garcons" Is probably the least slim-fitting shirts of all I would say, they are cut like a box. The Junya Watanabe line is a bit more fitted but it's a bit too casual and sports like with too much detailing for my taste.

If you want some good slim-fit shirts go for something like: Balenciaga, Dior Homme (Although Kriss Van Asche is making them a bit more boxy now), ATO, Miu Miu...

Brands like Zegna, Brioni, Etro, and other suit designers I would stear away from because they have too boxy a cut. I feel that most designers know nothing about tailoring and what it is to make a fitted shirt. The best shirt I have is a Balenciaga.

If you dont want it too fitted then Lanvin is good as well, they make some of the best quality shirts around (the proper pret-a-porter Lanvin not the suit boutique).

18. madgrad

madgrad Well-Known Member

Any advice for me on shirts other than MTM? I'm 6'2, about 165, I've got a 36-37 inch chest and a 30 inch 'true' waist, 32 where I wear most of my dress pants. I take a 35 inch sleeve. H*M slim fit in small fit perfectly in the body but the sleeves are way too short so I just buy mediums and hope for the best. I still look way better than most of the guys around me, their dress shirts could double as ships sails. I've tried most 'slim' fit mass market shirts, RL, BB, J crew, Banan, etc and I've come to the conclusion that america is not only fat, it's delusional.

19. freeride1

freeride1 Member

Are there any tall people wearing Band of Outsiders? How is the length? How long are the sleeves? I'm 6'5 very skinny so I cant just size down.

20. itskub

itskub Senior member

madgrad, you and I have the exact same spec's. check my old posts in this thread, pg 7,8, or 9? i strongly recommend Patrizia Pepe (found at every Daffy's, for $50 marked down from 100-150) shirts in Medium or 48. they also have thin knits, cardigans, pants- though some of their designs are a bit outlandish. i perfer their basic. solids, classic items.
    it's the one single (affordable) brand ive found that fits me perfectly, even at 6'3". the waist comes in a bit, and the sleeves/armholes are slim AND long.

and BoO, i didnt even bother trying them on at Barney's. Just holding one up, it looked too short.

edit:
    theres also a seller on ebay that has a few Patrizia Pepe stuff. send a pm and ask for what they carry in size 48 (take my word for it, its the proper size).

oh and if youre wondering about polos or tshirt.. were both out of luck.[​IMG]