• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

eric glennie

Reaction score
hello joel cairo! i appreciate your point of view and these collars arent for everyone. my collars are about looking different in a crowd. the psyche of the man's wardrobe is to run with pack and look the same. obviously , you are happy wearing the same penguin suit as everyone else which is fine. please enlighten me your definition of cut-away collar. my collars shows a vertical line over the tie knot and at some point cuts away from the center line ( that imaginery line from the forehead, between the eyes, over the bridge of the nose, splitting the cleft chin, over the tie knot and down the navel). please enligten me on your definition of cutaway collar. by adding a vertical collar, i believe this shirt collar maintains height. in traditional mens dress shirts, the eye travels away from the centerline as the collar tapers 45 degrees from the apex. i want to keep the eye focused up and down on the centerline rather than horizontal. once again. thanks eric.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broadcasting live from SF:

Folks, were here to tell you about Adventursome spirit Eric Glenie who asked for honest opinions from the gents over at AAAC and after emerging from there only slightly bruised headed over to SF figuring he would be ok there as well.

Good idea? This newscaster says no, its about to get ugly.

Stay tuned!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
hello joel cairo! i appreciate your point of view and these collars arent for everyone. my collars are about looking different in a crowd. the psyche of the man's wardrobe is to run with pack and look the same. obviously , you are happy wearing the same penguin suit as everyone else which is fine. please enlighten me your definition of cut-away collar. my collars shows a vertical line over the tie knot and at some point cuts away from the center line ( that imaginery line from the forehead, between the eyes, over the bridge of the nose, splitting the cleft chin, over the tie knot and down the navel). please enligten me on your definition of cutaway collar. by adding a vertical collar, i believe this shirt collar maintains height. in traditional mens dress shirts, the eye travels away from the centerline as the collar tapers 45 degrees from the apex. i want to keep the eye focused up and down on the centerline rather than horizontal. once again. thanks eric.

Did you not see the picture I posted? Just look at post # 15.

Jon.

BTW: the cutaway collar in one form or another has been in existence for at least 150 years.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eric, please see the image a couple posts back. For the last century or more, a cutaway collar has been one where the points cut back toward the shoulders, leaving a wide space for the tie knot. A cutaway collar is not a turtleneck with a ****** for the tie to slip through.

Originally Posted by FIHTies
asked for honest opinions from the gents over at AAAC and after emerging from there only slightly bruised headed over to SF figuring he would be ok there as well.

link please
devil.gif

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
eric, please see the image a couple posts back. For the last century or more, a cutaway collar has been one where the points cut back toward the shoulders, leaving a wide space for the tie knot. A cutaway collar is not a turtleneck with a ****** for the tie to slip through.

link please
devil.gif

No...Its better if you formulate your own opinions about the designs than if you are influenced by others.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
No...Its better if you formulate your own opinions about the designs than if you are influenced by others.

but what if I like to run with the pack because I'm an unenlightened acquatic bird... or something like that?

eric glennie

Reaction score
looks like a spread collar to me. please enlighten me on the diffence between a cutaway and spread collar. I would like to get the expert point of view.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks like a spread collar to me. please enlighten me on the diffence between a cutaway and spread collar. I would like to get the expert point of view.

I thought experts didn't know anything w/o labels? I have labels on my shirts identifying whther they are "spread" or "cutaway", but its hard to get them off the hanger to read with these damn slippery wings I have.

bigstar[1].gif
< quack quack quack

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spread collar refers to any collar that is not buttoned down and with an angle over 90 degrees or so. There are many different types of spread collars at different angles. Example:
powcollar.gif

Within the family of "spread" collars, a "cutaway" collar has a wider angle (sometimes up to flat/180 degrees when seen from the front). Example:
windsorcollar.gif

This, for example, is an "extreme cutaway" collar
shirts.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Spread collar refers to any collar that is not buttoned down and with an angle over 45 degrees or so. There are many different types of spread collars at different angles. Example:
powcollar.gif

Within the family of "spread" collars, a "cutaway" collar has a wider angle (sometimes up to flat/180 degrees when seen from the front). Example:
windsorcollar.gif

Or more than 180 degrees:

pPOLO2-3300893_standard_v330.jpg

Jon.

eric glennie

Reaction score
thanks for the illustration. i have checked the website ( jos a bank) and some others to get clarification on a cutaway and spread collar. i see many collars past the 45 degree angle of the spread collar labeled as spread rather than cutaway. i see some inconsistency in nomenclature. this inconsistency breeds confusion. what is it gentlemen? I see the cutaway design as cutaway in the photo. thanks eric.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo

link please
devil.gif

Finally, it appears someone agrees with me that these collars look a lot like female genitalia. I posted this over at AAAC, but I think the crowd was too gentile to concur.

You are not reinventing anything here, you are just putting a different collar on a shirt. I hardly think it is revolutionary to change one part of a standard item of clothing. Hell, even I could cut my cuffs into origami ducks and draw vaginas all over it and call it a revolution.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks for the illustration. i have checked the website ( jos a bank) and some others to get clarification on a cutaway and spread collar. i see many collars past the 45 degree angle of the spread collar labeled as spread rather than cutaway. i see some inconsistency in nomenclature. this inconsistency breeds confusion. what is it gentlemen? I see the cutaway design as cutaway in the photo. thanks eric.

I'm pretty sure we laid it out for you, but in case you missed it here it is:

A "˜Cutaway' (a name which was in use before both you and I were born, thus you can't claim it) is a very angled "˜Spread' collar. It can range from around the first picture (H&K cutaway) I posted to the very extreme Udeshi shirt gdl203 posted.

There is no inconsistency in the naming, the rest of us understand which is which.

Jon.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DoTheGrownup
That, to my eyes, is at least as ugly as anything on Eric's site.
You should get your eyes checked ASAP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads