• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
Finally, it appears someone agrees with me that these collars look a lot like female genitalia. I posted this over at AAAC, but I think the crowd was too gentile to concur.

You are not reinventing anything here, you are just putting a different collar on a shirt. I hardly think it is revolutionary to change one part of a standard item of clothing. Hell, even I could cut my cuffs into origami ducks and draw vaginas all over it and call it a revolution.

crackup[1].gif
worship.gif
teacha.gif
worship2.gif
rotflmao.gif

Jon.

lpwb32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Or more than 180 degrees:
pPOLO2-3300893_standard_v330.jpg
Jon.

you guys have forgotten about the mega cutaway collar. in this case the collar is actually cut away an astonishingly 270 degrees!!!!!!
poppedcollarsweb.jpg
eric, i think you're simply asking the wrong crowd. nba analyst kenny smith gets all these nods for his great sense of style and maybe he would love these colors. most people around here wouldn't touch one of his 5 button suits with a 10 ft pole though.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Eric are you from another country or planet? Just curious.

Yours,

WHN

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpwb32
as a side note, we should at least give eric some credit for remaining so courteous in light of all the pummeling he's taken both here and on AAAC.
eric, i think you're simply asking the wrong crowd. nba analyst kenny smith gets all these nods for his great sense of style and maybe he would love these colors. most people around here wouldn't touch one of his 5 button suits with a 10 ft pole though.

+1

Though the vaginas on cuffs comment was hysterical.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You should get your eyes checked ASAP

OK so maybe my statement was a bit of exaggeration, but I think if wore either Eric's "******" collar or the "extreme cutaway" collar to work, I would be laughed off the bus before I even made it to the next corner.

Maybe if I lived in England, I could get away with the Udeshi. Instead, it turns out I live in the same town as Eric. Can't say I've seen many of these around downtown.

eric glennie

Reaction score
i just checked out the website www.mensflair.com for cutaway collars and i am still confused on the definition. if the collar goes past 45 degrees the collar is considered a british or windsor spread (not cutaway) . as the collar goes past the 180 degree than it is called a wing collar. thanks eric.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric glennie
i just checked out the website www.mensflair.com for cutaway collars and i am still confused on the definition. if the collar goes past 45 degrees the collar is considered a british or windsor spread (not cutaway) . as the collar goes past the 180 degree than it is called a wing collar. thanks eric.
oh my god. just stop. and quit citing bullshit sources like JA Banks as authorities. you are simply wrong, cutaway has long been established as something different from what you are selling. Why do you think everybody here but you knows what the word means? BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAS AN AGREED UPON MEANING! I could very well stick a windshield on my riding mower and call it a Ford Truck, but it's not.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
oh my god. just stop. and quit citing bullshit sources like JA Banks as authorities.

laugh.gif

Eric,

In all seriousness: are you on the same plan of existence as the rest of us?

Jon.

(If he next asks about clear metal collar stays I'm going to rupture a blood vein)

Oh, and a wing collar is this:

490-402-600-003-WHITE.jpg

StWingCllr.jpg

eric glennie

Reaction score
i apologize for my ignorance, but gentlemen i dont think you know the difference between an english spread, windsor spread, wing collar, cut away, or a spread collar. you told me i dont know what i am talking about, i think you guys are confused. i dont know if there are any lawyers out there, but if this was a jury decision i see a lot of nomenclature confusion. confusion breeds doubt and inconsistency. i am honered this forum is available to discuss my cutaway collars. god bless the souls of my forefathers in fashion, but unfortunately today fashion experts have tarnished your definition of a cutaway collar. thanks eric glennie.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i apologize for my ignorance, but gentlemen i dont think you know the difference between an english spread, windsor spread, wing collar, cut away, or a spread collar. you told me i dont know what i am talking about, i think you guys are confused.

OMG, WTF are you talking about? "˜Windsor' is just a name given by a certain company, just like Ralph Lauren Purple Label (RLPL for short) calls their Cutaway collar "˜Keaton'. "˜English' is just yet another name used to connect the collar to Savile Row (in London) since that is where it gained its fame. It is a Cutaway collar, we have shown you pictures. I showed you a picture of a Wing Collar.

Don't take this the wrong way but: it's you who doesn't understand the difference between one collar type and another, not us.

i dont know if there are any lawyers out there, but if this was a jury decision i see a lot of nomenclature confusion.

crackup[1].gif
( he should read the Judge Pissypants thread(s) )

confusion breeds doubt and inconsistency. i am honered this forum is available to discuss my cutaway collars. god bless the souls of my forefathers in fashion, but unfortunately today fashion experts have tarnished your definition of a cutaway collar. thanks eric glennie.

Hahahaha, I have no idea what your point is, but randomly sticking larger than standard American street vernacular words into your argument without making sense will do nothing to bolster your argument, whatever it may be.

Jon.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
OMG, WTF are you talking about? "˜Windsor' is just a name given by a certain company, just like Ralph Lauren Purple Label (RLPL for short) calls their Cutaway collar "˜Keaton'. "˜English' is just yet another name used to connect the collar to Savile Row (in London) since that is where it gained its fame. It is a Cutaway collar, we have shown you pictures. I showed you a picture of a Wing Collar.

Don't take this the wrong way but: it's you who doesn't understand the difference between one collar type and another, not us.

crackup[1].gif
( he should read the Judge Pissypants thread(s) )

Hahahaha, I have no idea what your point is, but randomly sticking larger than standard American street vernacular into your argument without making sense will do nothing to bolster your argument, whatever it may be.

Jon.

Is it too late to add what will no doubt quickly escalate as a choice in the best SF argument?

devil.gif

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i apologize for my ignorance, but gentlemen i dont think you know the difference between an english spread, windsor spread, wing collar, cut away, or a spread collar. you told me i dont know what i am talking about, i think you guys are confused.

kitten_die.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads