1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

new designer in menswear doing research (*US patented dress shirt collars*)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by eric glennie, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

No...Its better if you formulate your own opinions about the designs than if you are influenced by others.

but what if I like to run with the pack because I'm an unenlightened acquatic bird... or something like that?

2. eric glennie

eric glennie Senior member

looks like a spread collar to me. please enlighten me on the diffence between a cutaway and spread collar. I would like to get the expert point of view.

3. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

looks like a spread collar to me. please enlighten me on the diffence between a cutaway and spread collar. I would like to get the expert point of view.

I thought experts didn't know anything w/o labels? I have labels on my shirts identifying whther they are "spread" or "cutaway", but its hard to get them off the hanger to read with these damn slippery wings I have.

[​IMG] < quack quack quack

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Spread collar refers to any collar that is not buttoned down and with an angle over 90 degrees or so. There are many different types of spread collars at different angles. Example:
    [​IMG]

Within the family of "spread" collars, a "cutaway" collar has a wider angle (sometimes up to flat/180 degrees when seen from the front). Example:
    [​IMG]

This, for example, is an "extreme cutaway" collar
    [​IMG]

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Spread collar refers to any collar that is not buttoned down and with an angle over 45 degrees or so. There are many different types of spread collars at different angles. Example:
    [​IMG]

Within the family of "spread" collars, a "cutaway" collar has a wider angle (sometimes up to flat/180 degrees when seen from the front). Example:
    [​IMG]

Or more than 180 degrees:

[​IMG]

Jon.

6. eric glennie

thanks for the illustration. i have checked the website ( jos a bank) and some others to get clarification on a cutaway and spread collar. i see many collars past the 45 degree angle of the spread collar labeled as spread rather than cutaway. i see some inconsistency in nomenclature. this inconsistency breeds confusion. what is it gentlemen? I see the cutaway design as cutaway in the photo. thanks eric.

7. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

This, for example, is an "extreme cutaway" collar
    [​IMG]

That, to my eyes, is at least as ugly as anything on Eric's site.

8. username79

username79 Senior member

eric, please see the image a couple posts back. For the last century or more, a cutaway collar has been one where the points cut back toward the shoulders, leaving a wide space for the tie knot. A cutaway collar is not a turtleneck with a vagina for the tie to slip through.

link please [​IMG]

Finally, it appears someone agrees with me that these collars look a lot like female genitalia. I posted this over at AAAC, but I think the crowd was too gentile to concur.

You are not reinventing anything here, you are just putting a different collar on a shirt. I hardly think it is revolutionary to change one part of a standard item of clothing. Hell, even I could cut my cuffs into origami ducks and draw vaginas all over it and call it a revolution.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

thanks for the illustration. i have checked the website ( jos a bank) and some others to get clarification on a cutaway and spread collar. i see many collars past the 45 degree angle of the spread collar labeled as spread rather than cutaway. i see some inconsistency in nomenclature. this inconsistency breeds confusion. what is it gentlemen? I see the cutaway design as cutaway in the photo. thanks eric.

I'm pretty sure we laid it out for you, but in case you missed it here it is:

A "˜Cutaway' (a name which was in use before both you and I were born, thus you can't claim it) is a very angled "˜Spread' collar. It can range from around the first picture (H&K cutaway) I posted to the very extreme Udeshi shirt gdl203 posted.

There is no inconsistency in the naming, the rest of us understand which is which.

Jon.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That, to my eyes, is at least as ugly as anything on Eric's site.
    You should get your eyes checked ASAP

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Finally, it appears someone agrees with me that these collars look a lot like female genitalia. I posted this over at AAAC, but I think the crowd was too gentile to concur.

You are not reinventing anything here, you are just putting a different collar on a shirt. I hardly think it is revolutionary to change one part of a standard item of clothing. Hell, even I could cut my cuffs into origami ducks and draw vaginas all over it and call it a revolution.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jon.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

+1 and that vest is awesome!

Jon.

13. lpwb32

lpwb32 Senior member

Or more than 180 degrees: [​IMG] Jon.
    you guys have forgotten about the mega cutaway collar. in this case the collar is actually cut away an astonishingly 270 degrees!!!!!! [​IMG] eric, i think you're simply asking the wrong crowd. nba analyst kenny smith gets all these nods for his great sense of style and maybe he would love these colors. most people around here wouldn't touch one of his 5 button suits with a 10 ft pole though.

14. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Eric are you from another country or planet? Just curious.

Yours,

WHN

15. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

as a side note, we should at least give eric some credit for remaining so courteous in light of all the pummeling he's taken both here and on AAAC.
    eric, i think you're simply asking the wrong crowd. nba analyst kenny smith gets all these nods for his great sense of style and maybe he would love these colors. most people around here wouldn't touch one of his 5 button suits with a 10 ft pole though.

+1

Though the vaginas on cuffs comment was hysterical.

16. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

OK so maybe my statement was a bit of exaggeration, but I think if wore either Eric's "vagina" collar or the "extreme cutaway" collar to work, I would be laughed off the bus before I even made it to the next corner.

Maybe if I lived in England, I could get away with the Udeshi. Instead, it turns out I live in the same town as Eric. Can't say I've seen many of these around downtown.

17. eric glennie

i just checked out the website www.mensflair.com for cutaway collars and i am still confused on the definition. if the collar goes past 45 degrees the collar is considered a british or windsor spread (not cutaway) . as the collar goes past the 180 degree than it is called a wing collar. thanks eric.

18. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

i just checked out the website www.mensflair.com for cutaway collars and i am still confused on the definition. if the collar goes past 45 degrees the collar is considered a british or windsor spread (not cutaway) . as the collar goes past the 180 degree than it is called a wing collar. thanks eric.
    oh my god. just stop. and quit citing bullshit sources like JA Banks as authorities. you are simply wrong, cutaway has long been established as something different from what you are selling. Why do you think everybody here but you knows what the word means? BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAS AN AGREED UPON MEANING! I could very well stick a windshield on my riding mower and call it a Ford Truck, but it's not.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

oh my god. just stop. and quit citing bullshit sources like JA Banks as authorities.

[​IMG]

Eric,

In all seriousness: are you on the same plan of existence as the rest of us?

Jon.

(If he next asks about clear metal collar stays I'm going to rupture a blood vein)

Oh, and a wing collar is this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]