• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Its time to end this. 10 years is long enough, but the owners want that money.
I actually like the idea of interleague play. Its great for the fans. The problem is the ******* people who schedule this ****. You should have in-state rivals playing every year. The people in LA don't give a rats ass about the KC Royals. 3 games, maybe, then you move the **** on to Dodgers vs. Angels + the other CA teams. THAT'S how it should be.
Originally Posted by dcg
While we're at it, let's get rid of the DH.
ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I actually like the idea of interleague play. Its great for the fans. The problem is the ******* people who schedule this ****. You should have in-state rivals playing every year. The people in LA don't give a rats ass about the KC Royals. 3 games, maybe, then you move the **** on to Dodgers vs. Angels + the other CA teams. THAT'S how it should be.

Interesting. I feel exactly the opposite. I totally get that cities (or regions) with both an NL and AL team should play each other every year (Dodgers/Angels, Yankees/Mets, Cubs/White Sox, Giants/A's, and even Rangers/Astros). But for a good chunk of the interleague schedule to be made up of 'natural' rivals for other teams just kind of sucks.

The Red Sox have been 'natural rivals' with the Braves, and then with the Phillies. So we have to see one of those two teams every year and it's just not that compelling. I do think it's fun to visit the NL cities that we never get to otherwise: Red Sox @ Wrigley; AT&T Park; or Dodger Stadium. And likewise, it's fun to have fans of the NL teams come to Fenway on the once-every-five-years rotation.

It's funny, I've travelled to see the Sox in LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, and San Francisco. But I've never been to another AL east park (except NYY). It's just a fun experience.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tj100
It's funny, I've travelled to see the Sox in LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, and San Francisco. But I've never been to another AL east park (except NYY). It's just a fun experience.
That's another + for it. This is for the fans after all.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is, no one gives a rats ass about the KC Royals. Someone has to play them though; everyone can't just get big name teams.

Overall though, I don't think interleague play is the end of the world.

I am strongly against playoff expansion.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
The problem is, no one gives a rats ass about the KC Royals. Someone has to play them though; everyone can't just get big name teams.

Overall though, I don't think interleague play is the end of the world.

I am strongly against playoff expansion.

KC and STL? Royals'll be good shortly.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their farm system is indeed pretty nasty.

I didn't mean to pick on KC specifically, just using them as an example.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

I knew what you were saying
cheers.gif
just giving you a hard time for knocking my team
boxing[1].gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
cheers.gif
boxing[1].gif

I was a huge Bo Jackson fan so I'll always have a soft spot for the Royals.
blush.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg

cheers.gif
boxing[1].gif

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
While we're at it, let's get rid of the DH.

please no..... where will papi end up?
laugh.gif

interleague is fine. but it should be super duper special. like only one series per year (both home and away) for both teams. It should be scheduled years in advance (like the olympics) and be on the same week (where lets say both series are back to back ex: red sox vs astros at houston 3 games then back to fenway 3 games in the same year).

that way both fan bases can make the trips/plans years in advance and really get to know the other team (though 6 games) and fosters real relationships between both cities (because of the exchange of fanbase dollars). The teams can totally promote that through travel/ticket packages.

I did the redsox destination package back in 07' and it was ******* amazing. we watched the redsox/giants series at fenway. got to do a meet and greet with youkilis/walk on the field/go inside the green moster, we got to choose any jersey, and there were options for hotel or no hotel. we even were allowed into the dugouts.

but the funny thing is that the redsox were smart and promoted the package to the giants fans as well. so there were tons of giants fans that were offered a giants jersey instead of a redsox jersey.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Like this idea a lot.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
interleague is fine. but it should be super duper special. like only one series per year (both home and away) for both teams. It should be scheduled years in advance (like the olympics) and be on the same week (where lets say both series are back to back ex: red sox vs astros at houston 3 games then back to fenway 3 games in the same year).

I agree that it should be really special, but once you get into the logistics of it, it gets much more difficult to figure out. The leagues are unbalanced (16 NL teams, 14 AL teams), so you couldn't have everybody playing interleague at the same time. You want the inter-city (or inter-region) rivalries, but you also want other teams to come through (if you're a Yankee fan in Miami, you want to see them come play the Marlins from time to time). If you're part an inter-city rivalry, you want the games played in your stadium, so that basically has to be a home-and-home.

It's a pretty complicated formula, and even after ten years, I don't think they have it quite right yet.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im completely with you, Lawrence. Interleague has gotten out of hand- 1 or 2 series per team per year would be perfect.

Also, Phillies. #s 1,2 and 3 closers are out. No problem at all. We've still got Bastardo.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Im completely with you, Lawrence. Interleague has gotten out of hand- 1 or 2 series per team per year would be perfect.

Also, Phillies. #s 1,2 and 3 closers are out. No problem at all. We've still got Bastardo.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
He has been amazing this year, and you can't beat the name.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads