Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

2017 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

Look everybody, Grandpa is going to come off the rocking chair and coach major league baseball again.

2. dcg

dcg Distinguished Member

Marlins go from 30-20 to 32-40.

Still, Rodriguez looks like a chump. Hard to imagine who would hire him after this.

3. Slopho

Slopho Distinguished Member

Twins game pretty crazy, the first 8 batters got on via the base hit, no walks, the pitcher struck out and then the top of the order comes back up and its 9/10. I'm sure its happend before but pretty awesome to see.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

L spanked NL in inter league play. Again.

5. Slopho

Wow, Andrew Miller is with the Red Sox now?? I remember when he was an untouchable.

6. guster

guster Senior Member

Wow, Andrew Miller is with the Red Sox now?? I remember when he was an untouchable.

He became available because he has been unable to find the plate at his previous stops. Great stuff, control issues is his book. College baseball's pitcher of the year in the spring and quick rise in minors to the majors a few months later, if I recall correctly. But Tigers gave up on him as did Marlins.

Red Sox have him pitching a simulated inning or two before he starts a game. That worked in Triple A since they started it. We will see.

7. tj100

tj100 Senior Member

He became available because he has been unable to find the plate at his previous stops. Great stuff, control issues is his book. College baseball's pitcher of the year in the spring and quick rise in minors to the majors a few months later, if I recall correctly. But Tigers gave up on him as did Marlins.

Red Sox have him pitching a simulated inning or two before he starts a game. That worked in Triple A since they started it. We will see.

I think the consensus is that he was rushed to the majors by the Tigers and he would have been better served with some seasoning in the minors. I don't feel sorry for him though, as he seems to be hell-bent on staying in the majors whether it's good for him or not (his Red Sox contract had an opt-out if he wasn't called up by June 15).

8. hboogz

hboogz Distinguished Member

AL spanked NL in inter league play. Again.

Pretty embarrassing trying to defend the NL and I'm more an NL kind of guy. It just hasn't been pretty at all.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Distinguished Member

Pretty embarrassing trying to defend the NL and I'm more an NL kind of guy. It just hasn't been pretty at all.

there's still the recent world series results... NL is still competitive there.

the DH is weird now... there are only a few true "DH Superstars" these days...

10. Slopho

^ Thome is the last of a dying breed.

11. guster

guster Senior Member

Phillies are still team to beat in WS though. I know, I know, their offense is suspect. But excellent pitching trumps excellent hitting in playoffs and Philies are built for WS with that staff.

12. tj100

tj100 Senior Member

^ David Ortiz

It will be interesting to see who in the current generation evolves into a pure DH.

13. munchausen

munchausen Distinguished Member

Josh Hamilton will eventually have to a DH I think. He's a quality fielder but considering how injury prone he is I really don't think the risk of losing his bat is worth having his glove in left field.

14. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

What the fuck happened with Jim Riggelman? How do you quit citing "ongoing contract talk disputes"?

15. Slopho

What the fuck happened with Jim Riggelman? How do you quit citing "ongoing contract talk disputes"?

He said he wanted to "begin a conversation" about the Nats picking up his option when they went to Chicago. FWIW I think Rizzo is a bit out of his league.