• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Little Queenie
How much was the kudos of dressing well attached to the clothes themselves as opposed to where you purchased them from?
You were classed by what you wore.This is what killed the Scene off originally.The younger ones were coming along and the older ones were not happy with the results(that and the violence etc.).For starters,in the Mob I was in,Brutus,Jaytex and Levi Sta Prest were never worn.Too popular.1/2 of my wages were going on Clothes.The old Mod Ethos kicked in here- Clothes,Records and Girls.I shopped at the Ivy Shop but in other Shops as well-there were some.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
It depended on the item. I can remember that the brief popularity of riders and MA-1 jackets came about purely because a consignment of them arrived at a particular 'surplus' shop and were available for a short time. On the other hand the fact that you shopped at Brewer Street meant you were pretty tasty!
and loads of money!
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
You were classed by what you wore.This is what killed the Scene off originally.The younger ones were coming along and the older ones were not happy with the results(that and the violence etc.).For starters,in the Mob I was in,Brutus,Jaytex and Levi Sta Prest were never worn.Too popular.1/2 of my wages were going on Clothes.The old Mod Ethos kicked in here- Clothes,Records and Girls.I shopped at the Ivy Shop but in other Shops as well-there were some.

I would go along with this. I'm sorry to say we looked down our noses at the 'mini-skins' and that meant we moved on.

I don't think I had one single Jaytex or Brutus shirt EVER. Yes I had Sta-Prest but that was because I liked them.

Yes you needed money to shop at the Squire Shop, but I did without things. When I dropped out of college and got my first paid job I took my first wage packet up to Brewer Street!
biggrin.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go along with this. I'm sorry to say we looked down our noses at the 'mini-skins' and that meant we moved on.

I don't think I had one single Jaytex or Brutus shirt EVER. Yes I had Sta-Prest but that was because I liked them.

Yes you needed money to shop at the Squire Shop, but I did without things. When I dropped out of college and got my first paid job I took my first wage packet up to Brewer Street!
biggrin.gif

Many,many wage packets into various Shop Tills!

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask all the Original Skinheads(and the younger ones as well),was there anything that you wanted-but never got.Mine was a Tonik Mohair Suit with a Check woven in.I had Trousers like it but...The Scene had moved on,so I never got one made.
censored.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask all the Original Skinheads(and the younger ones as well),was there anything that you wanted-but never got.Mine was a Tonik Mohair Suit with a Check woven in.I had Trousers like it but...The Scene had moved on,so I never got one made.
censored.gif

I never had a full suit in PoW made up. That would have been good.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really jogging my Memory on this,but did not BS do a Candy Stripe(similar to the Beach Boy Shirts on an Album,in the mid `60s)

Going back to this, when I was about fourteen (1964) I wanted to dress like the Beach Boys. I wanted one of their monkey jackets and a pair of loafers like Al Jardine wore...
1024_imgThe%20Beach%20Boys2.jpg

... and a striped shirt like theirs...
MainBeachBoys.jpg

... and that was the first thing that leapt into my mind when Ben Sherman brought out their candy-stripe shirts. The stripes were like their later 'Paul Weller' range (there's nothing new under the sun, folks!)...
paul_weller.jpg

I remember that mine had the same mushroom colour but the alternate stripe was light green. That was 1969.

Alex Roest

Reaction score
Is that the young Jim Cox?

Very wide stripe. I can't remember seeing one like that. Interesting.

It is, pic was posted on here before but seemed relevant enough to re-post I thought. First saw this pic (a close-up actually) in "My Favourite Shirt" page 51

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Around my way me too, Roy! I think we must have been amongst the first blokes to jump on this... My brain is working overtime here. Your mate Alan - what did he look like and did he ever hang out in Lewisham? He was certainly the right side of the river. The first shirt I bought from Brewer St was light blue / yellow window pane check. I bought it because it was just a little bit different than the yellow / light blue one that this other bloke I knew wore. It would be an amazing coincidence if he turned out to be your mate Alan!
My mate's name is Alan Murphy, a very good looking lad, a double for David Essex, especially when he let his's hair grow. Sounds like the same shirt MoM, With the Squire shop they did not have massive stocks, once a colour or patten sold out that was it. As we mostly worked in the West End and City we was in the Squire shop every Thursday evening spending our wages Lol. Another item we bought was Roll Neck Jumpers out of the Squire Shop, but i think this was maybe late 71, Not 100% sure about this ???

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lasttye
My mate's name is Alan Murphy, a very good looking lad, a double for David Essex, especially when he let his's hair grow.

Sounds like the same shirt MoM, With the Squire shop they did not have massive stocks, once a colour or patten sold out that was it.
As we mostly worked in the West End and City we was in the Squire shop every Thursday evening spending our wages Lol.

Another item we bought was Roll Neck Jumpers out of the Squire Shop, but i think this was maybe late 71, Not 100% sure about this ???

It was worth a try, Roy. I'm determined that there's going to be something that'll link the pair of us somehow!
laugh.gif

The bloke I knew was shorter than me (I'm 5'10' and a half), round faced, and tended to be a little bit chubby, so he can't be your mate Alan.

Going to the Squire Shop was a bit more of a pilgrimage for me. By the time I was working I had moved back in with my parents while I looked for a bed-sit, so that was the other side of Beckenham. And my first two jobs were in Bromley. It was 1971 before I got a job in the City in an office, and by then I think I had stopped bothering about the Squire Shop...

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great News I met Della last night she was a Original, From Welwyn Garden City Hertsfordhire, [She was Originally from Walthamstow.]
She has given me some photos of Her from 68/69/70. also Newspaper cuttings from 69 to 71, + Tickets from Gigs, Four Tops , Stevie Wonder, Temptations etc, + Programmes, Just got to sort the lot out.
One clipping is of that Skinhead Boy and Girl in Sheepskins in the Daily Mirror 69, Been looking for this cutting for Years.
She also introduced me to Lindsey Donald who was a Photographer for Bob Marley, he was also a Original Rudie, He was telling me stuff, Hope to met him at a later point again.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Roy, will she let us use them, and would you be able to persuade her to contribute some memories? Please feel free to pass her my email address.

Are you going to make any digital copies of her photos and clippings? If you have details of the newspapers and the dates the articles were written, I would be prepared to get in touch with the publishers and get permission to use them.

albion

Reaction score
Can anyone here remember the make or brand name of some of the American shirts?
I'd like to try to seek a few vintage ones out. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads