Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

WAAAYYYY off topic, but I just HAD to share this with you - the message I noticed on my Virgin Media box...

[​IMG]

I kid you not - no photoshop!

Hmm seems like you have upset a faceless warrior! [​IMG]

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I know penny,they were more expensive than the poly/cotton ones.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Sorry buttons-must get my glasses mended(I have called you 2 different Names,already!)[​IMG]

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I know this is the "advanced skin" thread, but could anyone rec a good place to start for a northern soul playlist? Is there a decent, approved collection CD or set out there, or a youtube playlist or something? I'm not totally unfamiliar but it's tough for me to discern what makes a song northern soul vs. other Motown, etc.

5. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

Steve Jones:

I knew Paul Cook when we both went to Christopher Wren School on Bloemfontein Avenue in White City Estate, Shepherds Bush. Then we became skinheads, when that movement first started. it was great - soccer matches, dressing up and looking better than the other guy. I stole all my clothes, so I always had a good wardrobe. I was a good thief and had a knack for going into the shops and taking stuff. After the soccer matches you could loot stores. That's what I enjoyed - total chaos and anarchy. Football hooliganism was a great outlet if you're a frustrated kid. I wouldn't call myself a tough guy, but I was definitely a street person. I wouldn't stay home, so at fifteen I was left to fend for myself. We would hang around at the Shepherd's Bush market. We supported QPR, Chelsea, Fulham, but it wasn't as much the game as it was the whole scene. We didn't really watch the matches. We just walked around the grounds trying to look good.

Taken from "Rotten-No Irish, No Blacks, No dogs" by John Lydon, page 58

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I know this is the "advanced skin" thread, but could anyone rec a good place to start for a northern soul playlist? Is there a decent, approved collection CD or set out there, or a youtube playlist or something? I'm not totally unfamiliar but it's tough for me to discern what makes a song northern soul vs. other Motown, etc.

pete, "northern" refers to rare soul played in north england, songs that werent "hits". Northern also covers a range of years, and the soul sound changed, going from earlier stuff that is horn based, to later songs that are string section based, and you can hear the developing sound that would become funk in the later northern tracks. i LOOOVE soul, but prefer it pre-66/67 when it was all horn based, the one exception being the Flirtations song "nothing but a heartache" which is a northern classic and from 1969, with string section.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

songs like Hit and Run get me movin'
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

as for starter boxsets..there's tons of northern comps, for my taste I usually like about half the tracks, maybe 2/3 on a good comp

THE IN CROWD
    is a great starter, a bit of everything, soul, ska, beat etc

THE RIGHT TRACK
    is one of my faves, mostly good songs, all taken from the Okeh label

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In 1969 I had Ben Sherman in green gingham and one in slightly larger black gingham. I had a light blue Ben with a white double window-pane check and slight... um... nubbles(?) in the cloth too; I know I had this in 1970 but I am almost certain I bought it in late 69. Could be wrong.

I never had a Check Ben Sherman, The One's I had was Plain Pastle colours.. in Oxford weave, all long sleeve if i remember , The first Checks i had was bought at the Squire Shop, American imports, They also had half sleeves, and was lighter material Poly/Cotton, I was working so it would be 1969.
    The only other checks i saw was those cheap Brutus and Jaytex that the Little Skinheads wore in 1970.

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Steve Jones: I knew Paul Cook when we both went to Christopher Wren School on Bloemfontein Avenue in White City Estate, Shepherds Bush. Then we became skinheads, when that movement first started. it was great - soccer matches, dressing up and looking better than the other guy. I stole all my clothes, so I always had a good wardrobe. I was a good thief and had a knack for going into the shops and taking stuff. After the soccer matches you could loot stores. That's what I enjoyed - total chaos and anarchy. Football hooliganism was a great outlet if you're a frustrated kid. I wouldn't call myself a tough guy, but I was definitely a street person. I wouldn't stay home, so at fifteen I was left to fend for myself. We would hang around at the Shepherd's Bush market. We supported QPR, Chelsea, Fulham, but it wasn't as much the game as it was the whole scene. We didn't really watch the matches. We just walked around the grounds trying to look good. Taken from "Rotten-No Irish, No Blacks, No dogs" by John Lydon, page 58
    I always thought that Paul Cook and Glen Matlock went to Holland Park School Notting Hill Gate ???

9. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

I always thought that Paul Cook and Glen Matlock went to Holland Park School Notting Hill Gate ???

I'm sure you must be right Roy i.e. I left out one line (before 'Then we became skinheads') saying: Before that he used to go to a different school, but we used to pass each other all the time.

10. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

11. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

I never had a Check Ben Sherman, The Ones I had was Plain Pastel colours.. in Oxford weave, all long sleeve if I remember , The first Checks I had was bought at the Squire Shop, American imports, They also had half sleeves, and was lighter material Poly/Cotton, I was working so it would be 1969.
    The only other checks I saw was those cheap Brutus and Jaytex that the Little Skinheads wore in 1970.

Interesting stuff Roy. According to Jim Ferguson's Fashion Notebook Ben Sherman did some very clumsy checks - until those white with black/red/blue/green or yellow small checked shirts became part of the smooth uniform in 1971.

It also said that Early Ben Shermans had a low set second button - so the collar sat fairly widely open and were made from Oxford woven cloths so they were very comfortable. White & Pastel shades, then stripes of all colours & widths but no checks. Some had single-needle stitching construction. Later BS followed other makers (Brutus, Jaytex) & moved the second button up to almost between the collar point buttons. Poly/cotton non-Oxford weaves & checks (short sleeved check shirts spring 1970) but the best tartan shirts were by Brutus.

I'll leave it to you guys (who were there after all) to sort this out but I have to say that to my mind the people who went for the original item are the most 'intriguing' ones, if you like...

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Interesting stuff Roy. According to Jim Ferguson's Fashion Notebook Ben Sherman did some very clumsy checks - until those white with black/red/blue/green or yellow small checked shirts became part of the smooth uniform in 1971.

It also said that Early Ben Shermans had a low set second button - so the collar sat fairly widely open and were made from Oxford woven cloths so they were very comfortable. White & Pastel shades, then stripes of all colours & widths but no checks. Some had single-needle stitching construction. Later BS followed other makers (Brutus, Jaytex) & moved the second button up to almost between the collar point buttons. Poly/cotton non-Oxford weaves & checks (short sleeved check shirts spring 1970) but the best tartan shirts were by Brutus.

I'll leave it to you guys (who were there after all) to sort this out but I have to say that to my mind the people who went for the original item are the most 'intriguing' ones, if you like...

That is right about the second button on BS.But Checks were worn,I had one and M-o-M did as well-by 1970Shermans were mainly Stripes or Plain(Bronco Bullfrog).

13. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

That is right about the second button on BS.But Checks were worn,I had one and M-o-M did as well-by 1970Shermans were mainly Stripes or Plain(Bronco Bullfrog).

Yeah I know Brownie. The exact styles and colours you both described appealed a lot to me also. I like the fact that you took the whole thing/scene that seriously that you can still remember all those details after all those years (you, Roy, Paul and John that is) and I can relate to that in my own way, too. In fact that's the only serious reason why I wrote those pieces about certain aspects of 'The Look'. I've mentioned before (privately) that I reckon 'Walk Proud' will definitely be the best thing written about skinheads, so now I've repeated it in public as well...

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yeah I know Brownie. The exact styles and colours you both described appealed a lot to me also. I like the fact that you took the whole thing/scene that seriously that you can still remember all those details after all those years (you, Roy, Paul and John that is) and I can relate to that in my own way, too. In fact that's the only serious reason why I wrote those pieces about certain aspects of 'The Look'. I've mentioned before (privately) that I reckon 'Walk Proud' will definitely be the best thing written about skinheads, so now I've repeated it in public as well...

Yes "Walking Proud"will be the best thing-as it is written from the inside.I can be an anorak,but believe me we took care(and a lot of money)to look the Business.Roy,for a younger Skin,took the detail to Heart as well-Ivy Shop etc.

15. Alex Roest

Alex Roest Senior member

Yes "Walking Proud"will be the best thing-as it is written from the inside. I can be an anorak, but believe me we took care (and a lot of money) to look the Business. Roy, for a younger Skin, took the detail to Heart as well-Ivy Shop etc.

There's no doubt in my mind that for the first time the whole story will be covered properly, warts and all. The intriguing bit I was referring to was mainly about the fact that (very) young people were that (dead) serious about 'getting it right', style-wise. Roy mentioned that parents would be supportive so that kids could e.g. buy those imported button-down shirts from the Ivy Shop which I find intriguing in itself. A good example of that attitude was shown in Man Alive - "What's The Truth About Hells Angels and Skinheads?" I think BTW (with the parents remembering the fact that dad used to be a Teddy-Boy, similar attitude etc). You and Paul mentioned that people would save up for the 'must have' items which I think is great and absolutely convincing as for 'being into it' wholeheartedly. After all only those who took it all a bit more seriously are capable of telling the true story methinks...