• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
thanks John, shirt is Mikkel Rude. as far as wearing "The Look" everyday or not....I'm past the point at my age where I care about the uniform. But yes I dress in some way "skinhead" most every day. BUT, my take on it is I dont like to dress where a 16 year old skinhead that does the boots/braces thing would see me and think "oh he must be a skinhead". I prefer the more smart/sussed kind of look, where only those ITK would ever associate me with being a skin. Granted there are days where I like to go out with an Oi band tshirt, MA-1, jeans and boots and there's no doubt of where I'm coming from.
smile.gif
Tho, I do like a lot of vintage 40s/50s American inspired garb, so will sometimes mix that kind of thing in, which is not skinhead at all, but still a clean/smart look which to me is more important than being "skinhead" Roy, I think West London Rob is a good example of a guy that dresses in smart skinhead style without being too obvious. Dave Fleming as well, and a few others in that crowd. I'm a bit wary of 40+ men wearing the 16 year old boots/braces look on a daily basis. As well as guys that ONLY dress up for a 'do, that's another one for the raised eyebrow.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Lovely top mate. Would I be right in thinking your son has still to be convinced of the beauty of the 'skinhead style'?
eh.gif
I also wore those Florsheims today, Jason although that pic is a few months old. Weird eh? You guys (and girls) who are part of the present day scene - do you always wear The Look or just when going to 'doos'?

My Sons and Daughter do not wear skinhead cloths although the Boys would wear my BDs and Polos. Harrington,when they was at home. If you talk to present Day skinheads they often say they have been Skinheads 30 odd years and wear the cloths each day. The 79/80 Skinheads had to put up with a lot of ****..with other sub groups, Politics etc, We Originals also had a hard time, But it was less complicated i think. Like most Original Skinheads on this site i have been wearing Skinhead cloths most of my life, or should i say Ivy League cloths. I dont wear them at work.. as i work in Construction. But do all other times. I do not mean Boots and Braces, with Jeans up high
smile.gif
These days i do not claim to be a skinhead, that happened for me once in the 60s, I found by accident Three years ago that their is still Skinheads about, Since then i have been attending Doos, And have been welcomed into the scene which i am now part of, I would recommend anyone of any age who was.. or has a interest in Skinheads to come along to a Doo, You will not regret it.

Ikouja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brideshead
Lovely top mate. Would I be right in thinking your son has still to be convinced of the beauty of the 'skinhead style'?
eh.gif

I also wore those Florsheims today, Jason although that pic is a few months old. Weird eh?

You guys (and girls) who are part of the present day scene - do you always wear The Look or just when going to 'doos'?

Different factors come in to play with me when it comes to dressing the part. The main factor is temperature, if it's hot (and being Polish, that happens around 75F/23C) I'll not tuck my shirt in or wear boots, I'll opt for maybe an untucked polo or t-shirt with adidas and a pair of levi's. Although this look isn't "skinhead", I still keep the clothing well-fitted and color-coordinated so it doesn't look bad. When I'm at work I almost always wear sta prest, Solovair boots and a polo or button down shirt, so technically I dress "skinhead" at work, despite the pager on my waist, the name badge and the lump in my pocket full of keys
lol8[1].gif

But when the weather is acceptable, I do "dress up", which is just about everyday in fall/winter and half the days in spring. It's not that big a deal to me though, to button up a shirt, tuck it in and tie a pair of boots. Unfortunately though, I don't have a huge wardrobe so you'll normally only see me in the very standard "uniform" of levi's or sta prest, hemmed to show about 5-6 boot eyelets with oxblood boots and a button down shirt, when its chilly enough I have a few V-neck sweaters (jumpers), a Harrington jacket, and a Donkey jacket. That sums up my style and what determines the daily wear. Would like to get a nice Mohair suit for "do's", nights on the town and formal occasions though.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by albion
It's just about getting cool enough here to start wearing a jacket.
I will be honest here and say-I have not worn a Harrington since the 60s.I am like Lasttye,I was a Skinhead in the 60s,but now I wear Classic Clothing(Allen Edmonds Macneil,Bass Weejun,Brooks Brothers etc.).I always liked the Style from the Ivy Shop,so again I feel comfortable in them.A couple of years ago I was lucky to pick up a pair of Smooth Royals(from the States).They had lying in the bottom of a Wardrobe for 40years.You could still see the writing in the insole.Original Sole and everything-near mint.Lasttye took a photo of themMaybe, if I ask him nicely he will put the Photos on here.I am not a good Photographer etc.
smile.gif

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
I will be honest here and say-I have not worn a Harrington since the 60s.I am like Lasttye,I was a Skinhead in the 60s,but now I wear Classic Clothing(Allen Edmonds Macneil,Bass Weejun,Brooks Brothers etc.).I always liked the Style from the Ivy Shop,so again I feel comfortable in them.A couple of years ago I was lucky to pick up a pair of Smooth Royals(from the States).They had lying in the bottom of a Wardrobe for 40years.You could still see the writing in the insole.Original Sole and everything-near mint.Lasttye took a photo of themMaybe, if I ask him nicely he will put the Photos on here.I am not a good Photographer etc.
smile.gif

I must say i do like a Harrington and have three, Classic Kit,

Here are Brownies Plain Cap Royals.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by albion
They really are a beautiful shoe
Out of all the Shoes worn(during the `60s),nothing surpassed the 3 Styles of Royals-Smooths,Wing Tip and Gibsons.To my mind anyway!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Out of all the Shoes worn(during the `60s),nothing surpassed the 3 Styles of Royals-Smooths,Wing Tip and Gibsons.To my mind anyway!

They're up there, but I would have to include penny loafers.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lovely, lovely Royals. I had those in that colour. JS still keeps a few old and odd Royals I think. He was comparing for me the plain cap Royal and the equivalent Loake in his Covent Garden shop a couple of years ago and pointing out the superior features and leather quality of the former.

My greatest regret was not getting a pair of Gibsons back in the day. What is the nearest shoe now available?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads