• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

KD-fens

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darksideoftheforce
I've never seen this documentary myself some of you might have, but it talks quite a bit about the phenomenon of "**** Bashing" among some of the earliest skins. Just curious how common was it in the early days of the skinhead movement? Some of you guys that have been there since the 60s did you witness anything like it yourself, or like everything else did the media just blow it out of proportion for sensationalism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPZF...83ED1&index=18

That doc borrows some clips from this one

albion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KD-fens
Here's a playlist that was posted on another boards skinhead thread. It's pretty good. Organ heavy "skinhead reggae"
http://soundcloud.com/tuntuner/sets/...ggae-session-1

Some fantastic tracks there, some of which i hadn't heard before, so thank you and hello to all here.
Been lurking for a while, enjoying this thread very much indeed, so i thought i'd show my face and join in.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KD-fens
That doc borrows some clips from this one

There was "****-Bashing",no denying it.Where I lived there were very few Asian Shopkeepers so never got involved in it."Gay Bashing"also went on,but this gave us a nice little "earner".We were paid to keep an eye on a Pub-to stop other Skins getting in to cause problems.A form of "Protection" if you like.

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
There was "****-Bashing",no denying it.Where I lived there were very few Asian Shopkeepers so never got involved in it."Gay Bashing"also went on,but this gave us a nice little "earner".We were paid to keep an eye on a Pub-to stop other Skins getting in to cause problems.A form of "Protection" if you like.
How common was "hippie-bashing"?

OHT

Reaction score
I've never seen this documentary myself some of you might have, but it talks quite a bit about the phenomenon of "**** Bashing" among some of the earliest skins. Just curious how common was it in the early days of the skinhead movement? Some of you guys that have been there since the 60s did you witness anything like it yourself, or like everything else did the media just blow it out of proportion for sensationalism?

M-o-M and browniecj. If you've watched the video link above, at 0:22-0:25 the boy with the white/light trousers is wearing a collarless shirt. It looks like an ordinary shirt. Was that common? I always thought you guys wore collared shirts.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I've mentioned this before, earlier in the thread. The skinhead movement did not come together with a political or racist impetus. It was first and foremost a fashion thing. However, as it emerged in working-class London, it did reflect to an extent the pre-existing attitudes of working-class Londoners - it's as simple as that.

I was aware of an amount of antipathy towards South Asian people. I heard the term "****-bashing" here and there (in that documentary if nowhere else). I never saw any. I wouldn't have participated myself, as I had nothing against South Asian people. The worst I can say about them (and about myself) at the time is that we had very little in common. Even so, I had one or two South Asian friends (outside skins).

I can remember one Jamaican friend of mine saying "We minorities need to stick together!" By "minorities" he was referring specifically to blacks and skinheads, as he was saying this to me.

I can remember one time a skinhead mate of mine was talking about greasers. He said:

"You know 'em - greasers - we hate 'em worse than Pakis."

I said "Hold on, you're a Leftie like me - you don't hate Pakis!"

He looked ashamed and said, "Yeah, you're right - stupid thing for me to say!"

That's possibly the worst thing I remember, and that's not too shocking.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
M-o-M and browniecj. If you've watched the video link above, at 0:22-0:25 the boy with the white/light trousers is wearing a collarless shirt. It looks like an ordinary shirt. Was that common? I always thought you guys wore collared shirts.
Um,maybe it is my eyes but it looks like a black T-Shirt to me.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT

The trousers are original Levi Sta-Prest. The shirt is difficult to see, but I think it is actually a black FP-style tennis shirt buttoned to the neck, but it's difficult to see the collar. The reproduction isn't very sharp. It could be a black T-shirt, which was unusual but not unheard of.

Collarless shirts per se were not worn. I saw one "hard mod" in '68 with a "grand-dad vest", but that was the extent.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Not too common - don't forget, by the end of 1970 we all had long hair too!
Did you not go to Hyde Park,when the Stones were on,M-o-M?Yes there was Hippy-Bashing,hated the great unwashed.Some of their Women were nice though!
smile.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
Did you not go to Hyde Park,when the Stones were on,M-o-M?Yes there was Hippy-Bashing,hated the great unwashed.Some of their Women were nice though!
smile.gif

I went to Hyde Park quite a lot, as did quite a few of us. It was Free! There was very little animosity there. We were outnumbered about twenty-five to one. We were hard, but not stupid!
laugh.gif

I met David Bowie when he was a hippie - he lived not far from where I did - and he was a really nice guy.

Speaking personally, I was disinclined to go bashing people for who they were.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trousers are original Levi Sta-Prest. The shirt is difficult to see, but I think it is actually a black FP-style tennis shirt buttoned to the neck, but it's difficult to see the collar. The reproduction isn't very sharp. It could be a black T-shirt, which was unusual but not unheard of.

Collarless shirts per se were not worn. I saw one "hard mod" in '68 with a "grand-dad vest", but that was the extent.

Yes,for a short while there was Granddad Vests worn(`68).I was looking for the Laurel Logo but could not find one.Where I was,it had to be FP nothing else-in fact I never saw any other Polo Shirts.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Hyde Park quite a lot, as did quite a few of us. It was Free! There was very little animosity there. We were outnumbered about twenty-five to one. We were hard, but not stupid!
laugh.gif

I met David Bowie when he was a hippie - he lived not far from where I did - and he was a really nice guy.

Did you not have a bit of fun then?Yes,now we look back, it was probably anti-social.But in those days.....
smile.gif

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

In 1970 we had the Windsor Chapter of the Hells Angels come looking for us,because of who we were.What a bloody punch-up that was.They never came again though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads