• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ancillotti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by browniecj
I have had a similar conversation regarding Jean Jackets,being worn in the 60s by London Skins.I bought my Levi one about `68 and wore it (mainly) with my Jungle Greens.

Hello Brownie,
I've tries asking about this before, but I think I stretched M-o-M's memory a little too far! Can you remember any detail about your jungle greens? I'm trying to identify which ones they were, but from what I know a number of variations could fit the bill. Can you remember: if they were zip fly, what type of rear pockets they had (flapped, loop with a button a'la cheap sta prest, patch with a flap) anything else that comes to mind, any other details?

Big Muscle

Reaction score
If Levi's were worn back in days, were they always red tab 501s? Or also different models were worn? E.g. orange tab etc. ?

Ikouja

Reaction score
GetSmart, I've been feeling lately that I really want to try a pair or 8eyelet boots, one of those cravings that won't go away until you have what you want. Here's the deal: I don't really like the look of steel toed boots anymore so I'm going to sell my solovair steel toes aswell as my grinders that I haven't worn in over a year, so I can afford these new eight-eye boots. I already have a pair of oxblood boots (The Astronauts you recommended) so I'm kind of leaning towards cherry Solovair's or Doc martens "Vintage Line" (which seems relatively bright in color compared to oxblood such as Solovairs). But I also noticed that your "For Life" oxbloods have a garnet-like luster that I stare at like a monkey with a shiny object. I'd be happy with any of the three but you are THE boot guy, so which do you think would be the best choice?

PS. I just realized "Vintage Line" Dr. Martens are $200, whereas "for Life" and the Solovair's I could get for about $150 including shipping.

DrBassie

Reaction score
I know you're asking GS, but I can tell you the For Life's are my favorites. You already have oxblood's so it's up to you as far as wanting a color so close, but the dark red on the For Life's is my favorite DM color that's available now. Also, the leather is a notch above my other DMs. The eyelets aren't the standard black though. I know that bothers some.

OHT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southlondongent
Well, John Paul Jones was/is a big fan of Blues, Jazz, R&B, Soul, Ska, Reggae etc. In the 60's he used to go to the Flamingo, Scene etc and, to me, he is more Mod than Rocker (see also Charlie Watts). Prior to Zep he was a session musician with Immediate records.

EDIt: quote on Wikepedia ' Yeah we (JPJ and John Bohnham)were both huge Motown and Stax fans and general soul music fans, James Brown fan. Which is one of the reasons why I've always said that Zeppelin was one of the few bands to "swing". We actually had a groove in those days. People used to come to our shows and dance, which was great. To see all the women dancing, it was really brilliant. You didn't necessarily see that at a Black Sabbath show or whatever: So we were different in that way. We were a groovy band. We used all our black pop music influences as a key to the rock that went over the top.'

I've heard that story about 'Fairies Wear Boots' and hassle with skins. However in light of that... I saw a documentary about the making of the 'Paranoid' album on TV (I'm no metaller, far from it, but I don't mind a bit of 'classic rock'- early Zep, Purple etc. Prefer Yardbirds, Artwoods etc though
wink.gif
. ) The guitarist said that they had advertised for a singer in the paper and one day there is a knock at the door and a Skinhead was standing there. Said Skinhead was Ozzy Osborne!
laugh.gif
Apparantly because of this they initially didn't want him to join and made him grow his hair! It's well known that Ozzy is a big Beatles fan but I've heard/read that prior to BS he was a Mod, went to Soul/Mod clubs etc. Therefore it's entirely plausible that in 68 when he auditioned for BS he would have had a hard mod/skin look.

Other Skins turned rockers - Phil Taylor the drummer in Motorhead (there's a photo elsewhere on the site) and Paul DI'Anno the original singer with Iron Maiden.
eh.gif

Woa, that's very interesting! Thanks for the info SLG. That's crazy how they went from skins to rockers. I know nowadays it's quite common for people to be into one thing and then go for something else. Was it common for skinheads and rockers to switch over?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ancillotti
Hello Brownie,
I've tries asking about this before, but I think I stretched M-o-M's memory a little too far! Can you remember any detail about your jungle greens? I'm trying to identify which ones they were, but from what I know a number of variations could fit the bill. Can you remember: if they were zip fly, what type of rear pockets they had (flapped, loop with a button a'la cheap sta prest, patch with a flap) anything else that comes to mind, any other details?

Hi Ancillotti,
Jungle Greens had a zip fly,flapped rear pockets,the pocket on the Leg was flapped-if I remember correctly. .They were old American issue(at least the ones I had were) from Lawrences`Corner.Someone said they were old `55 Issues though I cannot vouch for that one.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
If Levi's were worn back in days, were they always red tab 501s? Or also different models were worn? E.g. orange tab etc. ?
To be honest,never really knew what line they were(501s etc.).Just that they were red tabs,shrink to wear,fly zipped etc.They were a heavy weight denim,as compared to today which bled its colour a lot.There were other makes of Jeans worn-mainly in the North and Midlands(Wrangler and Lees)but the Levis were the main London Jean.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest,never really knew what line they were(501s etc.).Just that they were red tabs,shrink to wear,fly zipped etc.They were a heavy weight denim,as compared to today which bled its colour a lot.There were other makes of Jeans worn-mainly in the North and Midlands(Wrangler and Lees)but the Levis were the main London Jean.

I'll endorse this. All people looked for was the red tab.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Ancillotti,
Jungle Greens had a zip fly,flapped rear pockets,the pocket on the Leg was flapped-if I remember correctly. .They were old American issue(at least the ones I had were) from Lawrences`Corner.Someone said they were old `55 Issues though I cannot vouch for that one.

As I remember JGs they didn't have a leg pocket at all (that would have stuck in my memory), but otherwise as brownie describes them.

I remember wearing a pair in late '68 when I went back up North for a visit. They raised a few eyebrows.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
As I remember JGs they didn't have a leg pocket at all (that would have stuck in my memory), but otherwise as brownie describes them.

I remember wearing a pair in late '68 when I went back up North for a visit. They raised a few eyebrows.

Yes you are right M-O-M.I have just seen a photo,on another Site.They did not have a Thigh Pocket-mixed them up with the later British Army Wear.

BraveSuede

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I'll endorse this. All people looked for was the red tab.

When they were the big E kind?

i remember the jungle greens with the big pocket on the left leg must have been 73-74 in the bootboy phase bought at the local army and navy stores.

OHT

Reaction score
M-o-M, can you remember what brand your sleeveless blue navy V-neck sweater/sweater vest was? Or what brands were worn back in your day? Help me out too brownie and SLG
biggrin.gif
. I've been trying to find a sweater vest in Blue Navy or Burgundy(or grey). I can't say I've tried hard enough to find one, though I would still like some recommendations(besides a fred perry).

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OHT
M-o-M, can you remember what brand your sleeveless blue navy V-neck sweater/sweater vest was? Or what brands were worn back in your day?

It didn't matter so long as it looked good.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads